Old 10-11-2019, 01:29 PM

Default Hooker Competition Headers

Hey Guys, new to the forum, have heard great things.
Wondering if anyone has ever installed these on a 400 and if you did, how in the world do you get the 4th bolt back on passenger side, “#6 Cylinder” tight? It is in a awful spot, I’ve bent a few different 7/16” wrench’s in weird ways and have it in, but sure isn’t as tight as it probably should be. Contacted Hooker and they had no suggestions?
The cars a 68 Firebird 4 Spd with 16 Heads.
Thanks in Advance!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 10-11-2019, 01:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yep, that bolt is an SOB. I dented the header tube in a little, right next to the bolt head. I also used bolts with a 5/16" head to provide greater wrench clearance. If you use a remflex gasket, they require less bolt torque, which makes it a little easier.

Lastly... on my A body I would remove the oil filter and housing from block and reach up from underneath with my custom bent wrench. Good times....

The easier solution is to bail on the headers and install RAM AIR style cast manifolds!

Headers were MUCH easier to install on my first gen Fbody compared to the A body.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

68 Firebird-- Street/Strip - 400/461 Eagle Forged Bottom End & Ross Flat top pistons. KRE 325 CFM D port, Ultradyne 263/271 @.050, .4267 lift. Crower Solid roller lifters and 1.65 stainless rockers. Quickfuel 1000 on Torker2 intake and 2" open spacer. Hedman 1.75" headers. TH400 w/brake. Ford 9" w/3.80 gears & 28x9 Hoosier pro bracket drag radial. Best ET: 1.35 60ft, 6.29 @ 107.20 mph, 9.99 @132.33 mph. 3,300 race weight