Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 10-17-2019, 12:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

On the surface it seems like a good idea. But I can't tell you how many times I've seen cars in primer that were only supposed to be that way for a year or less, and that was 5 years ago.

It sucks reassembling a vehicle, driving and enjoying it, only to take it back apart to paint it. You go thru the stress and aggravation all over again. Not to mention, I'd be worried about moisture getting under the primer and working into the metal and filler. It would always be in the back of my mind after the car is painted.

I can understand doing so from a financial standpoint. You can only do what the budget allows, and going past the budget can bring on a whole new set of problems.

1970 Trans Am RAIII 4 speed
1971 Trans Am 5.3 LM7
1977 Trans Am W72 Y82
1987 Grand National
Old 10-17-2019, 01:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If it's a financial decision to leave it in primer that's fine, but I don't buy into the whole "now that it's painted I'm afraid to drive it" thing. I had a show quality paint job done on my daily driver a few years back, and I still daily drive it. It's picked up a few minor nicks here and there, but it still looks great - you just have to take a little more care when working around it or parking it in public. No big deal.

Old 10-17-2019, 03:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
If it's a financial decision to leave it in primer that's fine, but I don't buy into the whole "now that it's painted I'm afraid to drive it" thing. I had a show quality paint job done on my daily driver a few years back, and I still daily drive it. It's picked up a few minor nicks here and there, but it still looks great - you just have to take a little more care when working around it or parking it in public. No big deal.
Depends on where you live. I had finished a beautiful black widebody Porsche. Hated it when it was done. I live where are too many cars, many people who don't give a chit. It always amazes me at a car show how many stupid people walk up to someones car and touch it!
At a car show (I got tossed for loosing my cool and cursing a lady out) I had parked my Porsche with the targa top off and the windows up. They had it in the front as a feature car for the show ( 383 twin turbo chevy in the rear of a widebody 911) When I came back to the car, a lady had he 3-4 year old standing on my belt molding holding the top of the glass looking in the car. I lost it, if she was a guy, I would be in jail. I love that no one care about my Pontiac till I pop the hood.

Old 10-17-2019, 03:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
X2

A quality paint job with some stone chips looks a million times better than a cheap paint job or straight primer.

1970 Trans Am RAIII 4 speed
1971 Trans Am 5.3 LM7
1977 Trans Am W72 Y82
1987 Grand National
Old 10-17-2019, 03:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

It depends on what the final estimate is when we reach that point. If all the body work is done and it’s blocksanded and sealed and all that and the price to finish it is like 5000 that’s one thing but when it’s ready for paint and it’s 10000 dollars I want my car back.

Old 10-17-2019, 03:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72projectbird View Post
X2

A quality paint job with some stone chips looks a million times better than a cheap paint job or straight primer.
ANY car on the road being driven looks a million times better than a project that sits and is not usable as a car.
Whatever it takes to get in the car and drive it before another year comes and goes is what I would do.

Old 10-17-2019, 04:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I do it for a living so it's a little different for me.

Shelling out the money is one thing, and insured properly covers things that may happen, what people don't realize is the time and the intense labor involved, and the 100's or 1000's of hours it takes to do one.

Then to come back and fix something that someone else screws up for you, it's not as simple as getting out a paint brush and touch up paint like some people think.

I can shoot our car anytime I wish, but choose to leave it in primer. Believe it or not, it grabs as much or more attention than the shiny painted cars I park next to at any cruise night. Not to mention it's super easy to take care of, I never wax it, just blow it off once in a while. It'll be nothing to blow the car apart and paint it when the time comes. It's already blocked straight as a pin. It's not really paint that I'm all that worried about. People think we're nuts just for driving it daily, paint or no paint, lol.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	InkedIMG_20190718_171414_LI.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	53.9 KB
ID:	522368  

Old 10-17-2019, 04:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeteeohguy View Post
ANY car on the road being driven looks a million times better than a project that sits and is not usable as a car.
We are all about driving them 1st, having fun with them, racing them, etc..

Old 10-17-2019, 05:37 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Eveland View Post
Mines not a street car but doubt I will ever paint mine . Some ask when are you going to paint it, and other are like please don't change a thing.
I want this car BAD!!!!

That is too cool.

Old 10-17-2019, 09:26 PM
Senior Chief

Half the colours I see on new trucks and some cars looks just like primer with clear coat over it. anyways.

Old 10-17-2019, 11:08 PM
Senior Chief

I've Been driving mine around for 2 years now in epoxy primer (DP90) with no problems.
Go for it
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	KIMG0272.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	62.4 KB
ID:	522386   Click image for larger version

Name:	KIMG0270.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	60.9 KB
ID:	522387  

Old 10-18-2019, 06:57 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by ta-kid View Post
Half the colours I see on new trucks and some cars looks just like primer with clear coat over it. anyways.
Yep. As a painter we have a running joke around here among some of the car guys I hang with. Anything that is painted a shade of grey we just call metallic primer, because it's such a bland color anyway. Bugs the guys with the grey cars LOL

Old 10-18-2019, 08:53 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff chmura View Post
I've Been driving mine around for 2 years now in epoxy primer (DP90) with no problems.
Go for it
Is that the car with epoxy primer on it? If so, it has to be another color of DP, since DP90 is black. For example, DP48 is white. DP50 is gray.

Also, DP is really DPLF. DP hasn't been available for many years. It was discontinued due to the lead content. It's been DPLF for 20 years, the LF meaning lead-free. It still works well.

Old 10-18-2019, 09:07 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceaceca View Post
If you can get the good old DP40 primer it will take care of your problem. It is epoxy based with catalyst and does not allow water penetration. I had to get mine from Oregon as California banned it. Ask you master painter.
I don't think you can get the old DP epoxy any more. PPG discontinued it many years ago due to the lead content. It's been DPLF for 20 years, the LF meaning lead-free. It still works well and would hold up a long time. It might turn chalky after a while, being exposed to the sun and elements, since it's supposed to be topcoated. But it is what I'd use if I were going to drive it in just primer, since it's corrosion resistant and waterproof.

Old 10-18-2019, 06:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I got away from using that stuff, as well as the other lacquer products when they took the led out of everything.

It's still "okay" but not what it used to be.

That's why I went to the urethane 5star years ago. It's a sealer, filler, primer, and direct to metal all in one, sands nice and saves a ton of steps, which saves a ton of time. Comes in the typical grey, white, and black.

Old 10-18-2019, 07:19 PM
Senior Chief

Correct DPLF48.....white......
FYI, I did paint the jambs before assembly with BC/CC so I didn't have to disassemble for final paint.

The Following User Says Thank You to jeff chmura For This Useful Post:
Old 10-18-2019, 07:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 64speed View Post
We don’t need a warning to keep us from eating insulation like cotton candy.

Lol. Sad but true.

Old 10-19-2019, 10:52 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formulajones View Post
I got away from using that stuff, as well as the other lacquer products when they took the led out of everything.

It's still "okay" but not what it used to be.

That's why I went to the urethane 5star years ago. It's a sealer, filler, primer, and direct to metal all in one, sands nice and saves a ton of steps, which saves a ton of time. Comes in the typical grey, white, and black.
Good to know alternatives. Thanks!

Old 10-21-2019, 08:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

IMHO, I would save up and get your car primed and painted all at once. Don’t spring for a top of the line paint job. If you’re going to drive it, do burnouts or enjoy your car it will get small stone chips. Go for a quality paint job that looks good but unless you plan on never taking it out of the garage top of the line, show quality is wasted money. The majority of people have more respect for a car that looks good and is driven vs a car that looks like a top quality trailer queen.

1967 GTO, 432 (428+.030), 4-bolt mains, factory Nodular crank, scat rods, icon dished pistons, Lunati HR 243/251@.050, .618/.622 lift, Edelbrock 72cc round port heads, 10.5:1, offy 2-4 intake, Edelbrock 650cfm carbs, Super T10 trans (2.64 first), BOP 10 bolt w/ Eaton posi and 3.36 gears
Old 10-21-2019, 10:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67gtospud View Post
IMHO, I would save up and get your car primed and painted all at once. Don’t spring for a top of the line paint job. If you’re going to drive it, do burnouts or enjoy your car it will get small stone chips. Go for a quality paint job that looks good but unless you plan on never taking it out of the garage top of the line, show quality is wasted money. The majority of people have more respect for a car that looks good and is driven vs a car that looks like a top quality trailer queen.
I never planned on paying for a show quality paint job although joes work is stellar. It’s more of a Willie Wonka “I WANT IT NOW” scenario. At best my car will be done and primed and ready for me to install my running gear in a year and a half but more like two years. By that time I will be on my fourth going on my fifth waiting year.. now if at that time he says he has it done and I only need another 5000 to finish if things are like they are now I may very well wait. But if he comes to me and says 10 well then I want my car. I am doing this on a disabled veterans income. Some months I have medical expenses that are not service related and I have to pay out of pocket. Some months I can put a thousand dollars to it. Some months 500, some 200. I am almost 20 grand in this car now and it hasn’t even reached piece of **** status. It’s a question of time and money. I don’t want to keel over waiting for a shiny paint job.