Old 08-12-2019, 04:01 PM
Senior Chief

Default Leaking Turbo 400 at kick down connector

Trying to stop the leaks in my 69 turbo 400 trans. Leaks bad when parked over the winters months. Over the years I’ve replaced the pan gasket several times, the o-ring on the fill tube and the converter seal in the front pump. Cooler lines are dry as is the output shaft seal for the driveshaft. Always looks like the pan gasket is leaking. Last week I replaced the seal on the shift lever shaft using a special tool (remover & installer). Now it looks like the kickdown wire connector on the driver’s side. I believe it uses an o-ring? Can the o-ring be changed without dropping the pan? Is a special tool needed?

Old 09-02-2019, 08:31 PM

I believe you can unbolt the cable from the trans, unhook it (like a small j loop on the end if my memory Is correct) and replace the O-ring on the cable end.

Old 09-02-2019, 08:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Buy a connector (as sometimes the connector is cracked at the terminal) with a new o ring on it. You can remove it without dropping the pan as long as you are not reusing it.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Turbo-Hydra...ss!01756!US!-1

Old 09-03-2019, 08:21 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevep View Post
Buy a connector (as sometimes the connector is cracked at the terminal) with a new o ring on it. You can remove it without dropping the pan as long as you are not reusing it.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Turbo-Hydra...ss!01756!US!-1
I ordered a new connector from Global Transmission and it came without the o-ring. Called them and they said that it doesn’t come with it. Stopped in good parts store and bought two different size o-rings. Hope one works.

Thank you for your help.

Old 09-05-2019, 11:17 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1969GiPper View Post
Last week I replaced the seal on the shift lever shaft using a special tool (remover & installer).
May I ask what tool this was and how difficult a job to do? This is on my to do list this winter.

Old 09-05-2019, 06:05 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by abefromen View Post
May I ask what tool this was and how difficult a job to do? This is on my to do list this winter.
Bought the Evercraft Tool #776-9250 at a NAPA store. Tool consists of a two piece remover and a one piece installer. Tool was about ten dollars. Easy (one beer) job. Check for u-tube videos on using tool.