The Body Shop TECH General questions that don't fit in any other forum

Old 10-04-2019, 12:22 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Paint removal

What’s the fastest way to remove paint from a car part and bring it down to clean metal. I can save a fortune in labor on my car if I bring the pieces to him already bare. I don’t want to spend hours with a DA sander plus if I was gonna use a DA I would have to drAg the car to my shop and out of my garage which I don’t really wanna do cause it’s convenient having it here

Old 10-04-2019, 03:26 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm going to look at calling a Soda Blaster to come up to my shop and do a bunch of my body that would otherwise take me 40 hours of sanding to strip.

I think typical price is around $3-400 bucks.

I only want them to do the areas like firewall, door jambs, trunk jams etc. The stuff that takes forever by hand.

Old 10-04-2019, 08:14 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Depending on the condition of the paint you are taking off. I have seen guys simply use a razor blade as a stripper, surprisingly it works very quick. I use cheap Ryobi electric random orbit, with diablo sand paper to take the car to bare metal. I can do a door in an hour or so, for a point of reference. It tends to get dirty, but not nearly as dirty as blasting. I have also used paint stripper. I bought the top of line product from HD for that and it worked good. But that was for taking off multiple layers of paint, then sanding the final step once it was mostly bare. Short of calling in a blasting company, im not sure there is a 'quick' way to strip a car. Its just part of the process.

Old 10-04-2019, 08:55 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Razor blade is always my first approach. Works really well most of the time.

Don

Old 10-04-2019, 11:03 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Razor blade is always my first approach. Works really well most of the time.
I remember years ago hearing someone say he had stripped a car using razor blades. That sounded like a lot of work and I thought he was nuts. Then I once (about 1991) had to have a car repainted as a factory recall. When I saw what the shop was using I was surprised. They had a hand pushed holder on wheels with a single edge razor blade mounted on it. I don't know how they adjusted the depth of cut but it looked like it did a net job.

Old 10-04-2019, 11:22 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAKerry View Post
I have also used paint stripper. I bought the top of line product from HD for that and it worked good. But that was for taking off multiple layers of paint, then sanding the final step once it was mostly bare.
On the last car I had painted, they used paint stripper for removing most of the paint and then finished with a sander. It works well, but you need to make sure you tape off seams and edges so it doesn't get into places where you can't clean it up.

Old 10-06-2019, 03:07 PM
Suspended

I remember mentioning it a few years ago, and I got everything from deer-in-the-headlights, to an expert who has never worked on a car say that it wasn't possible.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	61.7 KB
ID:	521612   Click image for larger version

Name:	firebird scrape paint 014 - Copy.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	44.7 KB
ID:	521613  

Old 10-06-2019, 03:09 PM
Suspended

I guess the few years ago was 7 years ago.

Old 10-06-2019, 03:56 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Send a message via ICQ to Tim66
Default Paint remover

Use paint stripper,tape off seams,then wash then DA sanding metal prep and

prime,doing body work for 40 yrs. Good luck,sand edges by hand.
Tim