WELCOME!

Go Back   PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together > PY Welcomes 2004-06 GTO Owners > 04-06 General Tech/Discussion

04-06 General Tech/Discussion 2004-2006 GTO General Tech and discussion.

Old 06-24-2014, 11:49 PM

Default New to the forum, have a question?

This may have been discussed, but I have not been able to find it. I have seen pic's of where this is done, but don't know if it should be done of not. Can you tow a small trailer with a 2006 GTO? I know Curt, make the hitch, but the owners manual specificily says not to to with this car. What about the Auto trans, towing?
Thanks
Old 06-26-2014, 05:37 PM
Administrator

I definitely have seen it done. Would I recommend it? No.
Old 06-26-2014, 07:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Since I've already done a fair amount of towing with my own 05 GTO and have no ill effects from using my car to tow with my advice is to go for it.

The hitch Curt sells is fine for towing a small trailer, The exact same car, the Holden Manaro in Australia has in the owners manual that it is fine to tow with and they are the exact same car under the skin. You can tow up to 3500# and I have done it many times with 3500# and probably was over by more than a little bit while towing. I towed the T Shirt trailer we used to set up at Pontiac shows and have towed also a 1997 T/A to the T/A nats in Dayton on a tow dolly. Late last Summer I also towed a 5X8 utility trailer from Ohio to Phoenix Az and back loaded with furniture, never new it was even behind me.

I have no idea why GM/Pontiac said it is not recommended, I've probably towed with it close to 7,000 miles and never had any problem. I installed the hitch on my 05 in 2008 and have hauled plenty with it since then. BTW, I had warranty work done on the car at 2 Pontiac dealers with the hitch in place and they never said a word about it.

I'm sure that chevy wouldn't recommend towing a 92 Grand Am with a Z24 3.1 Cavalier either, But I towed a Grand Am, a Fiero, a 84 Grand Prix, and a 76 TA with that Cavalier. I used a tow bar with 2 of them, and a tow dolly with the other 2. Maybe close to 2,000 miles towing cars with that Cavalier.

The GTO has plenty of brakes to tow with, good sized 4 wheel discs. The Cavalier was not equipped with enough brakes to stop loaded in a hurry with a car pushing you. Small discs up front and small drums in the rear. As with anything mechanical, common sense is needed so you don't hurt yourself or someone else.

For the record, my car is an automatic car too.
1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

Old 06-26-2014, 11:46 PM

Thanks for the information.
All I want to haul is a small enclosed trailer, about 4'x8'x 6' , the little u-haul trailers to take some camping gear to Norwalk. Not much room in the trunk of the Goat.
Old 06-27-2014, 12:22 AM
Ultimate Warrior

You'll be fine hauling that, you'll get some funny looks while towing with it though from people on the road

At the POCI event in Charleston WV I towed the trailer down the main ave. where they lined up the cars for the show. Lotta strange looks as cars overtake you on the Interstates, and people snapping pictures of the rig.

One of the best ones was picking up my new lawn tractor at the Home Depot. Guy comes over after we loaded it and says, "That's something you don't see every day." "I bet it has plenty of power to haul that trailer!".............................
1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated