Old 04-26-2020, 03:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I know you don't want to try anything else, but perhaps different mufflers on each side would work. The factory mufflers are different sizes and likely for this very reason. Different resonate frequencies.

I personally wouldn't worry about losing a small amount of acceleration to gain a quieter ride you will enjoy long term. These old cars are not fast compared the new stuff. Optimizing them for power at the cost of ride enjoyment is not worth it - to me at least (I own a hellcat if I want to scare myself).

Old 06-08-2020, 02:44 PM
Suspended

When I bought my 69 el Camino the 454 sounded like a plugged up v-6. It had a Pypes X pipe system 2-1/2".. I took it to this old timer who makes exhaust systems and glass packs.. He said pull that X off and install Dynomax 17749 Turbo mufflers. He made me two pipes to take the place of the X pipe all for $20!
I bought the mufflers from Summit and did like he said and WOW does my elco sound nice!! That great Chevrolet big block sound came back and the car runs just as good if not better..

Old 06-08-2020, 03:08 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I have heard enough. I don't have a big horsepower car. I am going to take the X pipe out too.

Old 06-08-2020, 03:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I ran a pair of resonators in front of the 2-1/2" transverse muffler on the TA - it did make a difference.

Old 06-10-2020, 05:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I run "X" cross overs in just about everything here and don't have a drone problem.
I don't believe the VT mufflers are made anymore, there were too many complaints about the valve rattle at idle.

I prefer the dynomax mufflers, in the ultra flow 20" case. Just simply swapping those in place of the flowmasters completely cured the drone I had on my BBC chevelle with a Dr. Gas X and 3" system.

If you haven't done so already, do yourself a favor and spend the money on factory hangers. You might spend $200 on a correct set of reproduction hangers but I'm starting to believe that's a big player in what I'm seeing and reading on the forum. They do a much better job of isolating the system from the car than those cheap store bought or muffler shop hangers.
I've used them on all the cars here for years but more for the reason of not wanting to drill holes in the floors and frames for universal garbage, but I'm starting to think it has something to do with why I never have drone with a multitude of systems here.

Small tube style resonators is another good idea if you have the room to graft them in.

https://youtu.be/XqEydRRRwqE
Old 06-10-2020, 07:13 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formulajones View Post
I run "X" cross overs in just about everything here and don't have a drone problem.
I don't believe the VT mufflers are made anymore, there were too many complaints about the valve rattle at idle.

I prefer the dynomax mufflers, in the ultra flow 20" case. Just simply swapping those in place of the flowmasters completely cured the drone I had on my BBC chevelle with a Dr. Gas X and 3" system.

If you haven't done so already, do yourself a favor and spend the money on factory hangers. You might spend $200 on a correct set of reproduction hangers but I'm starting to believe that's a big player in what I'm seeing and reading on the forum. They do a much better job of isolating the system from the car than those cheap store bought or muffler shop hangers.
I've used them on all the cars here for years but more for the reason of not wanting to drill holes in the floors and frames for universal garbage, but I'm starting to think it has something to do with why I never have drone with a multitude of systems here.

Small tube style resonators is another good idea if you have the room to graft them in.
Thank you Sir. What do you think of my hangers. Are they sufficient to isolate.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	45A608A0-0AA2-4AA7-88FB-857D5196221B_1_201_a.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	54.9 KB
ID:	542191   Click image for larger version

Name:	5D1D2CEE-2C96-49E0-B8B8-21FB8ABE901D.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	64.3 KB
ID:	542192  

Old 06-10-2020, 11:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Hard to say, best I can tell those look to be pretty solid.

Old 06-15-2020, 09:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I just installed a new 3 inch exhaust on my a body. No x, no h. 3 inch tails. 20 inch case ultraflows. NO drone.

Old 06-15-2020, 09:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Those Ultraflows are awesome.

Old 06-15-2020, 10:23 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by PunchT37 View Post
I just installed a new 3 inch exhaust on my a body. No x, no h. 3 inch tails. 20 inch case ultraflows. NO drone.
But does it sound cool? I want cool AND no drone.

Old 06-15-2020, 10:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by allenga View Post
But does it sound cool? I want cool AND no drone.

630 hp always sounds cool.

Old 06-15-2020, 10:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Everyone's perspective is different. Exhaust is especially a touchy subject.

Here's my 600hp 454 with 2" super comps, 3" exhaust, Dr. Gas X with 3" Torque Tech tail pipes. The mufflers are Dynomax Ultraflow 20" case.

Personally I love the system. It's quiet enough at idle, there is no drone, but it does make some noise at WOT. Inside the car it's pleasing, I can actually talk to someone without yelling.

https://youtu.be/M-TsdxjE144

Old 06-15-2020, 10:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Everyone's perspective is different. Exhaust is especially a touchy subject.

Here's my 600hp 454 with 2" super comps, 3" exhaust, Dr. Gas X with 3" Torque Tech tail pipes. The mufflers are Dynomax Ultraflow 20" case.

Personally I love the system. It's quiet enough at idle, there is no drone, but it does make some noise at WOT. Inside the car it's pleasing, I can actually talk to someone without yelling.

https://youtu.be/M-TsdxjE144

Sounds good, Formula. Mine is quiet now compared to the torque tech, h pipe, with 17 inch flowmaster delta flow muffler. Pipes started to rust as they have been on the car since the early 90`s. Not too much drone on the old system. This one is noticeably quieter.

Old 06-15-2020, 10:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I might put an H on it later. It IS nice not to have the under the trans clutter though. I can drop 1 pipe now to get the trans out. Hmmm. Maybe I won`t.

Old 06-15-2020, 11:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
I might put an H on it later. It IS nice not to have the under the trans clutter though. I can drop 1 pipe now to get the trans out. Hmmm. Maybe I won`t.
I know what you mean. On mine I welded in flanges in front of the mufflers, so I can remove the X as an entire unit, from the headers and mufflers with a few bolts in just a few minutes, unplug the cutouts and they come out with it.

I did the same thing on our Z to make clutch changes a breeze, as well as our Firebird.

Old 06-15-2020, 11:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Sounds good, Formula. Mine is quiet now compared to the torque tech, h pipe, with 17 inch flowmaster delta flow muffler. Pipes started to rust as they have been on the car since the early 90`s. Not too much drone on the old system. This one is noticeably quieter.
Yeah, I had Flowmaster Super 40's on it before (all the piping remains the same) I simply swapped in the Ultraflows and it's night and day difference. It's much more enjoyable to drive.

Old 06-15-2020, 11:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Yeah, I had Flowmaster Super 40's on it before (all the piping remains the same) I simply swapped in the Ultraflows and it's night and day difference. It's much more enjoyable to drive.
I hear ya. My car sounds like a hotrod wrapped in a towel now.