Old 09-16-2020, 11:40 PM

Default No Name A6 Replacements

We installed an A6 replacement in our 67 GTO in 2017. [URL="http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=809229"] Last month in NM , idling in traffic, with temps near 100, the AC clutch burned up, stinking and slinging clutch and bearing material everywhere. After removing the clutch, the compressor still turns freely, and there are no signs of oil loss.

The attached pics show our compressor Model A, and a similar Chinese made one I will call Model B. Model A compressors are shown on the web pages of Ames, Autozone, Amazon, and Summit. Model B compressors are shown on the web pages of Napa, Rock Auto, Oreilly, and Advance. Not sure which one you get when you order. I am sure they are both made in different Chinese factories and they have no brand name other than the distributors such as Four Seasons, UAC, Global Parts, etc. Worse yet, they have no specifications such as number of pistons, displacement, seal type, or Btu/hr output. I called 4S today and they couldn't explain why they sold both models under the same part number at different stores. Looking at the pics one can see that there is clearly a difference between the two cases and clutches.

Four Seasons also told me you cannot buy a replacement clutch for either one. So like most things from China, I guess these are throw away units. We are leaning towards buying a new Model B since the Model A clutch failed for no obvious reason. We did add about 7 oz of pag oil to the 3oz in the compressor when installed. Besides a new A6, any suggestions?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Model_A .jpg
Views:	118
Size:	43.7 KB
ID:	549756   Click image for larger version

Name:	Model_B.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	51.3 KB
ID:	549757  

Old 09-17-2020, 10:24 AM

Default kNo Name A6 Replacements

Here's what I can tell you. My compressor looks like what you're calling "Model B". I bought it in 2009 from "Old Air Products" out of Texas(they highly recommended it for the reduced horsepower to run it and reduced weight). They called it (and still do) Pro6Ten. It is also sold now by Ames, Summit and probably others that I am not aware of by same name. I put it on in 2009 and it has over 35,000 miles on it. And, most all of those miles are with AC running so in comparison to miles on my daily driver that would probably equate to 80-90,000 where I live (Missouri) because only use AC probably 5 months out of 12.

Has not given any trouble and still cooling like day I put it on.

(I thought last time I ordered something from "Old Air Products" I asked them if clutch assembly was available and I thought they told me it was but, I could be wrong, been a while back.)

Old 09-17-2020, 11:09 AM

Thanks for the info on the Model B reliability. Good to know. As I said in the first post, Ames is showing Model A on their website currently. There is a difference.

Old 09-17-2020, 11:43 AM

Default No Name A6 Replacement Compressors

You are exactly right. Looked in the 2 Ames Catalogs (G34 & G35) I have and the picture is you're Model A. Hadn't looked at AC components in their catalog in years but last time I did they pictured the Model B. (I'd say it's same compressor just different clutch.) I had such good service out of "Old Air Product" that I bought all my AC stuff from them back in 2009. At that time the Pro6Ten was fairly new and every picture I saw looked like Model A.

I don't recall if you said if you have cycling system or POA system. I have POA system so once AC is turned on the clutch stays engaged which I think would be easier on clutches.

Old 09-17-2020, 11:59 AM

Default No Name A6 Replacement Compressors

After looking closer at your pictures I'm wrong again, they are not same compressor with different clutch.

I did look on "Old Air Products" site and they still show the one I have with the clutch with 4 or 5 bolt heads around outer circumference. Their phone number is 817-531-2665 if you want to call them. They seem to know their stuff.

Old 09-17-2020, 02:05 PM

Yes, Old Air also sells the Model B. I am trying to figure out if it is better made than Model A. Model B looks like polished aluminum which might indicate more attention to detail. Only miles on these compressors and/or tear downs will tell us which one is better. I just watched a Scotty video on youtube where he was lamenting that he can't find a new compressor for a Prelude. He keeps replacing the rebuilt ones. We are lucky we have two new ones to choose from.

I have the poa system so my clutch should not be wearing much at all. The battery might have been low the day it failed, but the clutch voltage should come up when the alternator is charging. I think.