Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 03-09-2003, 03:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I recently purchased a 96 Suburban, 3/4 ton 4x4 with the 454 engine. I plan to use this vehicle for occasional towing.

I also own a similar 93 Suburban. This vehicle has 180K miles on it, and it was always run on synthetic. I am considering putting synthetic oil in the 96, and would like opinions.

The 96 was owned by a guy who used it to tow a boat occaisionally. It has never seen heavy towing. As for oil, he ran whatever the lube joint at the time was pumping in. This vehicle has 98K, and the engine was serviced regularly.

I would like to run synthetic oil in the new Suburban. If a vehicle has been run on standard 10W-30 oil since new, can you change over to a synthetic at 100K and gain any benefits.

Are there any problems in switching from a standard oil to a synthetic with 100K miles?

Opinions?

Mike

Old 03-09-2003, 03:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I recently purchased a 96 Suburban, 3/4 ton 4x4 with the 454 engine. I plan to use this vehicle for occasional towing.

I also own a similar 93 Suburban. This vehicle has 180K miles on it, and it was always run on synthetic. I am considering putting synthetic oil in the 96, and would like opinions.

The 96 was owned by a guy who used it to tow a boat occaisionally. It has never seen heavy towing. As for oil, he ran whatever the lube joint at the time was pumping in. This vehicle has 98K, and the engine was serviced regularly.

I would like to run synthetic oil in the new Suburban. If a vehicle has been run on standard 10W-30 oil since new, can you change over to a synthetic at 100K and gain any benefits.

Are there any problems in switching from a standard oil to a synthetic with 100K miles?

Opinions?

Mike

Old 03-09-2003, 04:27 PM

A problem could result if the engine has sludge it it. Synthetic oil softens sludge, and depending on how much of a buildup there is, clumps of sludge could dislodge and block oil passages within the engine. If you are certain the engine is very clean inside, there should be no problem, otherwise don't bother with synthetic.