Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 03-09-2003, 08:05 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Send a message via Yahoo to SteveGB21

On installing a TH-400 in a '70 LeMans, what all is needed? Right now, it has a Powerglide transmission, and a Pontiac 350. Eventually, looking to put in a Pontiac 400 engine with a 4 barrel carb. I do know about the drive shaft spline going to the 32-spline from the 27 spline, as well as shortening it. Second, did know that the crossmember has to be moved back about 8 inches. Would I also have to change the wiring and the accelerator bracket for the mounted down-kick switch inside the vehicle? Third, am aware that I would have to put in a higher gear ratio on the rear. It has a 2.73:1 on a 10 bolt, and eventually will put in a 12 bolt with a 3.73:1. Let me know what is possible. Thanks a million.

Old 03-09-2003, 08:05 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Send a message via Yahoo to SteveGB21

On installing a TH-400 in a '70 LeMans, what all is needed? Right now, it has a Powerglide transmission, and a Pontiac 350. Eventually, looking to put in a Pontiac 400 engine with a 4 barrel carb. I do know about the drive shaft spline going to the 32-spline from the 27 spline, as well as shortening it. Second, did know that the crossmember has to be moved back about 8 inches. Would I also have to change the wiring and the accelerator bracket for the mounted down-kick switch inside the vehicle? Third, am aware that I would have to put in a higher gear ratio on the rear. It has a 2.73:1 on a 10 bolt, and eventually will put in a 12 bolt with a 3.73:1. Let me know what is possible. Thanks a million.

Old 03-09-2003, 11:25 PM

When I changed my 350TH over to a 400TH on my '71 moved the crossmember back and had to change driveshafts. The 400TH driveshaft is shorter.

If God is love and love is blind, therefore God is blind. Therefore Ray Charles is God!