THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-28-2024, 09:03 AM
Ultimate Warrior

We never took my dad's license away, DMV did.

Dad started showing signs of dementia in his late 70s. I lived 150 miles away, but my brother lived close by and had ridden with him to get gas for something. My brother told me that dad was all over the road and was forgetting how to get home. Dad had previously gone to his cabin in the mountains and gotten lost on the way there. My dad's drivers license was expiring soon. My brother and I talked about it, and decided that my brother would go to the DMV with dad. When it came time, my brother got to the DMV clerk's desk before dad and mouthed "he's dangerous". The lady told dad he needed to take a driving test this time, which he subsequently failed. My mom didn't have a driver's license, so he couldn't get insurance on his vehicles. That effectively ended dad's driving on highways. He still managed to run his 54" cut garden tractor into his motor home and hurt himself.

Dad only lived another 3 - 4 years after that as his dementia worsened. The lawn mower incident was the last time he operated any power equipment.