THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 07-23-2014, 10:25 PM
Senior Chief

Default Can't believe I did it.

I've had a love/hate relationship with my 68 Firebird for the last 2 years.

I bought it because the body and paint were flawless. The stock 400 and 3:08 rear left a little bit to be desired but I bought it knowing that I had some performance upgrades planned.

I admit that when I bought the car I had been out of the Pontiac loop for YEARS and there was definitely a learning curve. But I muscled through, I asked questions...sometimes probably more than once, but I asked anyway. I planned upgrades and then changed my plans and then changed them again. I went from doing a top end rebuild on my existing 400 to dropping in a Spott's built 428 with some serious HP. The new 428 along with my 4 speed and 3:73 gears was an absolute blast to drive.

However my lack of true Pontiac knowledge had me discouraged regularly. I constantly wondered if Pontiacs were right for me.

I took the car to a local show this past Saturday night where they closed down Main St in my town and lined up over 500 classic cars on a beautiful Saturday night in the summer. My car received a lot of attention which led me to wonder what kind of pricing the car would bring. So on a whim I tossed it up on eBay on Sunday. I figured if it brought my reserve, I'd sell it and not look back. If it didn't hit reserve, I'd hold onto it and keep on moving forward with the car.

Well Monday night I got an email from a local guy asking if he could see it in person before bidding. I said sure, I have nothing to hide. The car is clean and rust free.

He showed up today to see the car and he had cash. I told him my reserve price and he offered to beat it by $1000.00 if I would sell the car to him today.

Well cash in hand spoke pretty loudly and I sold the car today. I loved the car and was sorry to see it go but as I said there was a love/hate relationship with it and had a desire to move on and start over.

So the hunt is on for another ride. I'm not sure what I'm after as I love all Musclecars and don't really have an allegiance to one particular brand. I love first and second gen Camaro's, first and second gen Firebirds, Chevelles, GTO's, and Mopar cars. I most likely can't afford a Mopar...or at least the one I'd like. I had 2 GTO's in the past but I'm not sure I'm ready for another Pontiac.

I guess I'll start scrounging eBay and craigslist to see what's out there.

To all those who have given me help and info over the past 2 years I greatly appreciate the assistance.

Greg
68 Firebird Verdoro Green
428, 6X-4 heads, Comp XE284 cam
Muncie 4 speed
3:73 rear
Old 07-23-2014, 10:43 PM
Senior Chief

: > ( , but good luck finding what you are looking for.

PSW

Old 07-23-2014, 10:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

No shame in selling if you get what you want - bonus points if it happens to be more than what you're into it for! Cash money in person, especially you're asking price\reserve plus some, is really hard to beat. I get a ton of attention in my '69 and have contemplated seeing what it would bring as some days my heart just isn't into it long-term either.

Now the fun can begin again of hunting for another car you will have fun with!

Old 07-24-2014, 02:33 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I should sell you mine, then you can keep your handle...

Old 07-24-2014, 09:25 AM
Ultimate Warrior

My hat is off to you. Seems like you have gone through a lot of blood sweat and tears to get your bird where it is now.

The more I work on my cars the more attached I get.

Old 07-24-2014, 11:51 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Here's an idea for ya if you want to work on a project. How about putting a 37 Plymouth pick up back together? There's one next door to me for sale and it's mint. Belonged to a good friend of mine that passed on 3 years ago. He was a Mopar guy to the Nth degree. It's all apart but has everything there and tons of extra parts. Not sure what if the engine is a 6 or 8, but I can find out. It's painted red but the box isn't. Even 3 sets of wheels for it. Price is right at 7500.00 firm. Once done or even customized it would be worth some good money. Might get you enough to get a classic you don't have to fool with... just drive.

Photos of originals and customized.... http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=...k+Up&FORM=IGRE

37 was the first year they were built and only 11,000 made. Pretty rare truck, not all that many around. 37 Dodges are more common than a 37 Plymouth.

Gary
Get in, ShuT Up, Hang On!
Member of the Baltimore Built Brotherhood
MY GTO built 4th Week of March 1966
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Keep yer stick on the ice.
Old 07-24-2014, 12:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

In this day and time if you can get 85% of what your are asking. To get 100%+ is a homerun

Old 07-24-2014, 03:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Location: 31May2013 Temporary home to the world's widest (that we know of) tornado. Lord, NO more Please...

I can't believe you did it, either..

Shut it off
Shut it off
Buddy, I just shut your Prius down...
Old 07-24-2014, 03:57 PM
Senior Chief

Wow, I'm shocked. Seemed like you were really enjoying that thing. Oh well, go out and get yourself a new toy.

Old 07-25-2014, 08:12 AM
Senior Chief

Quick update: So I planned on taking a nice long time to find the exact car I wanted. I had an idea in my head as to what kind of car I wanted with specific options I just had to take my time and find out what's out there.

A good buddy of mine who has a really nice 71 Chevelle has a new girlfriend. I met her for the first time last weekend at a classic car show. She mentioned to him that her brother in law was selling an old car but she didn't know anything about it. I kind of dismissed it because to some people a 95 Trans Am could be an old car.

Well my buddy called me yesterday morning and gave me the guy's number and said you better call this guy, this car sounds badass. So I called and turns out the car is badass. It's a 72 Camaro resto-mod.

The car was totally disassembled and rebuilt from the ground up. The front subframe was removed and powder coated, all new front and rear suspension, new front and rear brakes, the front brakes are from Wilwood with 4 piston calipers, new interior, basically new everything. The wheels are 17" polished Torque Thrusts with brand new Nitto tires. I'm not a huge fan of 17 or 18" tires on Musclecars but these fit the car nicely and don't look bad.

The drivetrain is where the car really shines. The motor is a totally rebuilt 396 with just over 450HP. It has a Comp cam, ported heads, roller rockers, Holley 750 double pumper, HEI, MSD 6A ignition, ect... The trans is a Tremec TKO600 5 speed that runs back to a 12 bolt posi rear with 3:73 gears and a new Eaton posi unit. Some of the extra add ons are tilt steering, vintage A/C that blows ice cold, ceramic coated headers into a 3" exhaust, subframe connectors, and a lot more.

He had a lift in his home garage and was able to put the car up so I could see everything. The quality of work and attention to detail really impressed me. This was the first time in my life I ever looked at a car and felt like I HAD to have it. He had receipts totaling well over $30K for the entire build and he also had pictures documenting the entire build too. I didn't want to tip my hand but I basically knew I wasn't leaving without cutting a deal for this car. We haggled a bit and then agreed on a price.

I had to add some cash to what I got for the Bird but I still feel like I got a killer deal. There is no way in the world I could ever build this car for what I paid. I gave him a $2000.00 cash deposit on the car. I am going back Saturday morning to give him the balance and close the deal. I never thought I'd find a new ride this fast but it just all fell into place and once I saw the car I knew I wasn't leaving without cutting a deal.

Here are a few pics I took:

Greg
68 Firebird Verdoro Green
428, 6X-4 heads, Comp XE284 cam
Muncie 4 speed
3:73 rear
Old 07-25-2014, 08:57 AM
Senior Chief

Send a message via AIM to 1968firebird455

Wow! Nice buy! Looks like someone put some hours and $ into her!

Old 07-25-2014, 10:00 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71SportRagtop View Post
Quick update: So I planned on taking a nice long time to find the exact car I wanted. I had an idea in my head as to what kind of car I wanted with specific options I just had to take my time and find out what's out there.

A good buddy of mine who has a really nice 71 Chevelle has a new girlfriend. I met her for the first time last weekend at a classic car show. She mentioned to him that her brother in law was selling an old car but she didn't know anything about it. I kind of dismissed it because to some people a 95 Trans Am could be an old car.

Well my buddy called me yesterday morning and gave me the guy's number and said you better call this guy, this car sounds badass. So I called and turns out the car is badass. It's a 72 Camaro resto-mod.

The car was totally disassembled and rebuilt from the ground up. The front subframe was removed and powder coated, all new front and rear suspension, new front and rear brakes, the front brakes are from Wilwood with 4 piston calipers, new interior, basically new everything. The wheels are 17" polished Torque Thrusts with brand new Nitto tires. I'm not a huge fan of 17 or 18" tires on Musclecars but these fit the car nicely and don't look bad.

The drivetrain is where the car really shines. The motor is a totally rebuilt 396 with just over 450HP. It has a Comp cam, ported heads, roller rockers, Holley 750 double pumper, HEI, MSD 6A ignition, ect... The trans is a Tremec TKO600 5 speed that runs back to a 12 bolt posi rear with 3:73 gears and a new Eaton posi unit. Some of the extra add ons are tilt steering, vintage A/C that blows ice cold, ceramic coated headers into a 3" exhaust, subframe connectors, and a lot more.

He had a lift in his home garage and was able to put the car up so I could see everything. The quality of work and attention to detail really impressed me. This was the first time in my life I ever looked at a car and felt like I HAD to have it. He had receipts totaling well over $30K for the entire build and he also had pictures documenting the entire build too. I didn't want to tip my hand but I basically knew I wasn't leaving without cutting a deal for this car. We haggled a bit and then agreed on a price.

I had to add some cash to what I got for the Bird but I still feel like I got a killer deal. There is no way in the world I could ever build this car for what I paid. I gave him a $2000.00 cash deposit on the car. I am going back Saturday morning to give him the balance and close the deal. I never thought I'd find a new ride this fast but it just all fell into place and once I saw the car I knew I wasn't leaving without cutting a deal.

Here are a few pics I took:

You have now become dead to most of the people on this forum...LOL

Andrew

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets."
Old 07-25-2014, 10:22 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Big shocker. First time Ive seen this thread. If there are any Camaros that I could even think about looking at is an early second gen with bumperette's. The grill just looks right on that car to me.

Everyone has thier own taste and while there are a bunch of cars that Id rather own outside the Pontiac end of the hobby, you have to buy what you know you'll have fun with. Frustration with a car is no fun at all. After all, thats what this hobby is all about - fun.

Congrats on the new ride. Stick around the Pontiac forum will ya?

Old 07-25-2014, 10:26 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Might look ok if you took your Spots built 428 and stuffed it in there
Good luck with your new Love hate relationship.
PS good looking car!

1970 GTO 4spd VOE Pepper Green, green int.
1967 LeMans 428 Auto. Blue, black int.
Old 07-25-2014, 05:40 PM
Senior Chief

Congrats and good luck. I've always been a big fan of the 1st and 2nd generation Camaros. Back in the early 70's I owned a 68 RS convertible and beat the crap out of it. But I loved that car.

Old 07-28-2014, 09:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Jeez and crackers.