Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-27-2020, 12:09 AM

Default When are Out-of-the-Box E-heads Good Enough?

Looking for forum input regarding when out-of-the-box Edelbrock heads are good enough for street use versus requiring additional port work to make them "better" than as-shipped. This conversation is specific to the 72cc round port version.

Engine is a 461 Butler rotating assy with dished Ross pistons where the dish is machined fully round and leaves only ¼" of the flat top remaining. The pistons are a terrible mismatch for my current RAII closed-chamber iron heads, hence I'm considering a change to the open-chamber E-heads.

Car is a 4-speed, 3.73 rear. Cam is a HR 224/224 @ .050, 114 LS.

I know porting can further enhance mid-range and upper-end HP, but what I'm interested in is low-end to mid-range grunt. For a pure street car that will never be raced and will rarely see 5500 shifts, is the flow of the as-shipped E-heads good enough?

Thanks.