Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 07-28-2023, 01:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default TH400 Talk

Thought there was a "drive train" section, evidently not.

So, couple of questions after my first test drives.

Is an original OEM modulator adjustable for shift point? Mine seems to be shifting a few hundred rpm early. Like almost immediately after you leave from a stop it shifts to 2nd. I have to slow down to a dead stop to get it to start back off in 1st.

Manually it works great, shifts firm but not harsh. I rebuilt the whole trans using a Trans-go kit, nothing outlandish, basically stock. Converter is the Hughs 30SP(?) "Tow" model. 068 cam, Q-jet, engine has outstanding vacuum.

I'd like to use the OEM modulator if it's adjustable. I'll be honest, I don't even know if it's working properly ... sat in a box for 40 years, was a bit sticky till I freed it up.

And .... while checking out the diff I noticed if I rotate the driveshaft one direction the trans makes a quiet whistling sound, like drawing a squeegee across glass, you'd never hear it except in a very quiet shop. Sounds internal to the trans, up front somewhere ... don't think it's the speedo cable or tailshaft seal. Doesn't do it if I turn the driveshaft in the other direction.

Hate to bother folks with this kind of stuff, but it's been 40 years since I drove the car so I long ago forgot how it should behave and sound ... heck 40 years ago I would have jumped in and smoked the tires no matter what sound it was making

Old 07-28-2023, 05:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Check your governor 1st

Old 07-28-2023, 06:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I thought the Governor only controls the rpm of where the shifts take place at full throttle and no vacuum?

1) 1940s 100% silver 4 cup tea server set.

Two dry rotted 14 x 10 Micky Thompson slicks.

1) un-mailed in gift coupon from a 1972 box of corn flakes.
Two pairs of brown leather flip flops, never seen more then 2 mph.

Education is what your left with once you forget things!
The Following User Says Thank You to steve25 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-28-2023, 06:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve25 View Post
I thought the Governor only controls the rpm of where the shifts take place at full throttle and no vacuum?
This ^^^

1978 Black & Gold T/A [complete 70 Ram Air III (carb to pan) PQ and 12 bolt], fully loaded, deluxe, WS6, T-Top car - 1972 Formula 455HO Ram Air numbers matching Julep Green - 1971 T/A 455, 320 CFM Eheads, RP cam, Doug's headers, Fuel injection, TKX 5 Spd. 12 Bolt 3.73, 4 wheel disc. All A/C cars
The Following User Says Thank You to FrankieT/A For This Useful Post:
Old 07-28-2023, 07:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Governor control the early roll shifts (only a little with a selection of Stock
Govs #s 11-33); use stock outer weights with holes in them for a wee later shift from a roll. Inner weights; use stock lighter weights and flimsy springs for higher rpm WOT upshift.

Stock big can Mods might have the adj-screw brazed so it cannot be turned. Try and see if turning screw in can occur, and how the shifts are delayed. If screw locked then get the small single-red strip Modulator and adjust away. Keep the big can modulator on the shelf,as they might have value to some folks.

The Following User Says Thank You to Half-Inch Stud For This Useful Post:
Old 07-30-2023, 01:31 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The bigass modulators "can" be adjusted, IF (big IF) you're successful in breaking the spot-weld that secures the screw. I don't remember seeing the screw brazed, but who know how many variations GM had.

Unlike the cheap aftermarket mini-modulators, the bigass ones compensate for altitude.

Trans squeal when turning driveshaft is totally normal. You're hearing the one-way clutch turn opposite to it's lock-up direction. Maybe some band-drag.

The Following User Says Thank You to Schurkey For This Useful Post:
Old 07-30-2023, 02:53 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Thank you gentlemen, you've both put my mind at ease and provided me with useful information.