Old 06-19-2013, 03:56 AM

Default RH Mirror

Does any one know if they made or you can still get the right hand side mirror for a 66 Bonny? Doesn't need to be remote, but would be nice, so it matches up with the Factory Optioned Left side (see pics). I can only find ones that have the mirror flush with backing frame but as the pics show the Orig is recessed in about 1/2 inch...I have a GTO mirror on right side at present just to get by Rego rules in Aust....cheers
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 031.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	65.0 KB
ID:	326935   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 032.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	69.7 KB
ID:	326936  

Old 06-19-2013, 11:11 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Pontiac never made a right side mirror in that style. It would be nice if the aftermarket would do one that matched for those that wanted to install it.

Old 06-19-2013, 11:47 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I tried briefly to make one but failed. Someone here did it. Check the archives. It could have been on an earlier car, but worth a look. I tried rotating the spacer but could not figure it.

Only thing available is the one discussed in the recent '65 repro door trim thread. Hit or miss quality as usual with new stuff. Be better and more fun to buy a used LH and try to modify it.

13 Smiles per Gallon:
66 Bonneville wagon
66 Bonneville 2d HT - In perpetual progress
Old 06-19-2013, 12:21 PM
Senior Chief

This is the same mirror that in on the 64s. The right hand mirror was a dealer installed option that is VERY difficult to find. Be aware that many vendors will state that they sell the original RH mirror, but when you look closely at the photos in their catalogue or on line, they are not at all correct. Keep looking on ebay. Every once in a while one will be listed, but at a hefty price. In fact, I noticed that there is a pair of NOS RH and LH mirrors on ebay for a whopping $1,399!. They are listed for a 64, but from your photo, they match what is on your car.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-PONTIAC-...r#ht_23wt_1399

Vince

Old 06-19-2013, 06:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68Prix View Post
Pontiac never made a right side mirror in that style. It would be nice if the aftermarket would do one that matched for those that wanted to install it.
They did make one but is it not adjustable.

Old 06-19-2013, 10:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default RH rearview

There's available and you need to have some dollars stashed away to buy one. An auction, on ebay, just ended last week and a NOS, with box, went for $450, no remote adjustment.

Greg

Old 06-19-2013, 10:12 PM

Thanks guys, looks like I'll be sticking with my GTO mirror for the time being.
$450 - $1,400 price range is a little steep for me...

cheers
paul

Old 06-19-2013, 10:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I don't think the '64 fender mount is the same. It does not look like it is angled like the door mounted '65-6.

Will take one apart and also check the MPC.

13 Smiles per Gallon:
66 Bonneville wagon
Old 06-20-2013, 08:27 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadhead View Post
I don't think the '64 fender mount is the same. It does not look like it is angled like the door mounted '65-6.

Will take one apart and also check the MPC.
The 64 mirror's are definitely angled.

Vince

Old 06-20-2013, 09:27 AM
Ultimate Warrior

MPC lists different part #s for '64, '65, & '66 remote mirrors. The mounting bracket is also different for the 3 years.

The auction above is for a 2nd type '64 (there are 3). These controls are totally different and would probably not work on the '65-6 door remotes. The 3rd type looks closest.

Interesting that no PNs are listed for RH companions to remote for any of the years in group # 10.185-186 in the MPC body book. Non remote RH is the same for '63-66.

984612 is the only # I found listed for a '66 RH remote companion in the MPC accessories section. No other years are listed there either.

13 Smiles per Gallon:
66 Bonneville wagon
Old 06-20-2013, 10:26 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
I tried briefly to make one but failed. Someone here did it. Check the archives. It could have been on an earlier car, but worth a look. I tried rotating the spacer but could not figure it.
I think that "someone" might have been me.

Paul, you may have looked at my car up in Shepparton in which case you would have seen my mirror on the car.

In truth, I did not make it. My friend Peter who was with me that day was an anxious passenger in my car back in the early days when I got it on the road. Driving to Adelaide for the All American Day, he was finding that sitting in the "drivers seat" on the wrong side was pretty disconcerting. He wanted to see what was coming behind us when I was overtaking.

On our return home, he took an extra remote LEFT hand mirror I had and he pulled it apart and turned up the spacer you see in the picture.

Actually, from the drivers side you can't see out of it so from that point of view (pardon the pun), it's not much use. But the passengers can see out and find it very reassuring.

Plus, it looks right. We fitted the remote so it matches the left hand side so effectively it looks like it's a factory option

Ian
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	'66 GP RIGHT hand Mirror.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	56.4 KB
ID:	327010  

Old 06-20-2013, 11:55 AM
Ultimate Warrior

That is what I am remembering.

So, after the on-the-fly modification, did you check and see if there was a way to modify that spacer? I could not see one immediately when I looked. It is very specific the way it goes together IIRC - notched and has a recessed area cast into it. Would like to see if the '64 has that same Pc in it.

13 Smiles per Gallon:
66 Bonneville wagon
Old 06-20-2013, 01:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Ian,

That is an interesting mod! I may have to look into that and see if I can work something out for Paul when I come down under in January. We'll see what I come up with and if it works (where you can actually use it), I'll pass one off to you also.

Ron

Old 06-20-2013, 02:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I just took 2 I have apart hoping to make one good one. I think one is a '64 and the other I know is a '66. The first one could be an aftermkt, but it has the same external appearance. Its Pt. #s do not look like normal Pontiac part #s and start with a D. Neither of these has a spacer. Maybe the spacer is an Aussie RHD part. The problem with swapping to RH is the bracket is angled where it meets the mirror housing as you can see in Ian's Pic. I think if you took the rear portion of his spacer and cut it closer to 90* to the cylinder of the spacer it would be functional, but you would have to machine down a portion for it to mate up with the housing.

The difference in the 2 I have is that the cables hook up to the control differently and the bracket on the non- '66 mates to a male flange on the mirror housing where the '66 has a male flange on the bracket and female on the mirror housing.

Make a dozen Ron!

13 Smiles per Gallon:
66 Bonneville wagon
Old 06-20-2013, 08:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
I just took 2 I have apart hoping to make one good one. I think one is a '64 and the other I know is a '66. The first one could be an aftermkt, but it has the same external appearance. Its Pt. #s do not look like normal Pontiac part #s and start with a D. Neither of these has a spacer. Maybe the spacer is an Aussie RHD part. The problem with swapping to RH is the bracket is angled where it meets the mirror housing as you can see in Ian's Pic. I think if you took the rear portion of his spacer and cut it closer to 90* to the cylinder of the spacer it would be functional, but you would have to machine down a portion for it to mate up with the housing.

The difference in the 2 I have is that the cables hook up to the control differently and the bracket on the non- '66 mates to a male flange on the mirror housing where the '66 has a male flange on the bracket and female on the mirror housing.

Make a dozen Ron!
Bruce, I may not have explained myself too well last night typing this out. One of the perils of looking at PY after midnight!!!

The spacer was made by my friend Peter. He turned it up out of a solid piece of brass then chromed it and reassembled it all.

I might add he did all that without me seeing how much work he put into it. All he did was ask me for my spare mirror and a week later he turned up at home one night and we installed it. I imagine it took him quite a while. He is an incredibly resourceful guy with a knack at knowing how everything works and how to fix things.

NO such thing as an Aussie RHD mirror for these cars. Back in the days when they were imported new and converted before sale, if it was fitted, the left hand mirror was just left on the car and similar looking mirror would possibly have been fitted to the now drivers side door.

Back in those days, it was NOT mandatory for ANY external mirrors to be fitted to any car. Any mirrors fitted were either supplied by the factory as part of the package or retro fitted by a dealer to "enhance" the car they were selling.

My '65 Bonneville 4DRHT has (had) the remote mirror on the left hand door but it never had a mirror fitted to the RH door. My '65 Parisienne Convertible never had any external mirrors fitted to it at all.

In fact even today, if a car was never fitted with a mirror from new, and it is presented for re-registration there is no requirement to fit any mirrors.

Ian

Old 06-20-2013, 09:05 PM

Thanks Ian, that spacer job is sweet, looks factory.
In any other state in Aust you can get the car through rego without RH mirror, but not SA
We have rego rules from hell down here.
Ron, don't go cutting up a perfectly good LH mirror on my account, otherwize that's another favor I owe ya The list is getting longer!!

Last edited by Bonn66; 06-20-2013 at 09:38 PM.
Old 06-20-2013, 10:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

It will be fun to try should I get the time between now and January Paul.... what the heck - right?

Reading Ian's last post I had to scratch my head because I know that SA has more strict registrations than in Victoria for classics, but the mirror one confused me - that explains Ian's comment about the registration now with the mirrors.

What does Mark have on his '65, and Graham on his '64? I never checked.

I went to one of the Zipple cruises with Tom who had a '66 Mustang - he couldn't even change out the factory radio to get it registered in South Australia, but one guy that night had a nice T-bucket - registered in Victoria.... hummmm?

Good memories Paul!!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Paul.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	87.9 KB
ID:	327111   Click image for larger version

Name:	paul1.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	76.3 KB
ID:	327112  

Old 06-20-2013, 10:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

A shot of what Paul has on the '66 now for a RH mirror... and some good looking guy taking a cruise in his beauty
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	paul2.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	5.3 KB
ID:	327117   Click image for larger version

Name:	paul3.jpg
Size:	7.1 KB
ID:	327118  

Old 06-20-2013, 10:18 PM

Hey Ron, Grahams GP has LH + RH mirrors but I think the GP mirrors are completely different. (see pic)
Marks '65 Paris is a RH drive Canadian knockdown and his RH mirror is completely different again.
cheers
paul
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Front.jpg
Size:	75.6 KB
ID:	327119   Click image for larger version

Name:	65 Mark.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	112.6 KB
ID:	327120