WELCOME!

Go Back   PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together > PY Welcomes 2004-06 GTO Owners > 04-06 General Tech/Discussion

04-06 General Tech/Discussion 2004-2006 GTO General Tech and discussion.

Old 07-25-2005, 10:31 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mr_GTO:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Goathead:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">There were 2 '04s and an '05 which has the 400hp motor and none of them ran faster than a mid 14. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That kinda sucks.... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Those times are NOT typical of what they will run. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

R/T : 2004 GTO 13.8 1/4 mile @ 103.8 w/ 6 spd manual. The 'typical' driver probably would not get this car into the 13's. Badging a Monaro as a GTO didn't keep it from being just another 'typical' car. If it wasn't so damned ugly.....Yawn.
Old 07-26-2005, 02:07 AM
Ultimate Warrior

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by red70goat:
R/T : 2004 GTO 13.8 1/4 mile @ 103.8 w/ 6 spd manual. The 'typical' driver probably would not get this car into the 13's. Badging a Monaro as a GTO didn't keep it from being just another 'typical' car. If it wasn't so damned ugly.....Yawn. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wow, magazine racer...where are the pics of your car FRAUD? Funny how MT got 13.6 out of theirs, GMHTP and MMFF got 13.5 also.

Here is a thread on how many people have gotten them into the 13's, it isn't hard but it does take a decent driver with a stick and in decent conditions. I bet you have never even been on a drag strip....

http://www.ls1gto.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14617
Old 07-26-2005, 10:45 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mr_GTO:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by red70goat:
R/T : 2004 GTO 13.8 1/4 mile @ 103.8 w/ 6 spd manual. The 'typical' driver probably would not get this car into the 13's. Badging a Monaro as a GTO didn't keep it from being just another 'typical' car. If it wasn't so damned ugly.....Yawn. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Funny how MT got 13.6 out of theirs, GMHTP and MMFF got 13.5 also.

All 'typical' drivers I'm sure. Face it, this phoney pile of sh*t that GM attempted to regurgitate as a GTO is finally showing it's true colors, the facts don't support the hype. Your beloved GM Monaro is just another me-too in a sea of jelly bean sedans. Beavis and Lutzhead are legends in their own minds. Hopefully they'll pull their heads out and build a GTO the way it was meant to built: In your face stance and neck snapping acceleration.....BTW:Still trying to get on the Police Force with that 6 year degree of yours?
Old 07-26-2005, 10:58 AM

Last year I bought a new '04 with an auto. The car ran a best of 13.81 @ 101.-- totally stock. Last fall I traded that car for a used '04 with a six speed. I ran this car to a best of 13.42 @ 104.7- with Nittos and a cold air intake. I was getting the same 60 foots as other guys with the stock tires.

I have yet to run the car with the current setup. The heat kills these things so I'm waiting until it cools off a little.

00 GTP NBM / Graphite, Stock
Sold Aug. 2011

70 GTO Black / Black TH400
460 CID, 542 FWHP, 580 FWTQ
(Sold, Fall '09)

04 GTO Black / Black M6
Back to bone stock and sold, fall '05.
Old 07-26-2005, 11:42 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I just bought an 05' and it ran 13.96 in 95 degree weather with a DA of 2500 ft. This is with 1500 miles on it. The cars are very sensitive to heat soaking. It would run 195-215 with the 180 thermo. Now it has a 160 and runs 180-185. With my manual fan switch I can keep the car at 180. It makes a huge differance. Without the switches, if you sit a light for awhile, you can feel how lazy the car is. Its unreal. With both fans, the car runs noticeable faster. It because of the compression 10.9:1 and the damn computer. It pulls timing big time when it gets hot. When it isn't hot, it pulls timing because of Torque Abuse Management (TAM). It feels like the car shut off inbetween shifts. It pulls timing and closes the throttle (drive by wire). There is probably 1 to 1.5 seconds in the car just by plaing with the computer. LS2Edit, efilive, hptuners, etc. should be out soon for these cars.

I am anxious to run the car again because I did the 160 thermo, fan switches, timing tricker (lying about air temp to computer, insulated intake elbow, removed hood gasket, opened hood scoops, removed plastic valve covers(otherwise the coils get heatsoaked).

For all you nay sayers. This is a great car. It should have been called a G8 and not a GTO though. When its cool out, its a beast even at 3800 pounds. And as far as styling, its kinda nice to not even get looked at. I barked the tires near a cop the other day and he had no idea where it came from. He looked right at me in my "V6 powered Grand Prix" LOL.

I suspect you guys are seeing 04's at the track. They had the LS1 which was 350 horse. The 05' have the LS2 which is 400 hp.

The gas tank is in the trunk because the Aussie crash standards aren't as strict as they are here. They didn't have time to redesign the back of the car, so they stuck it in the trunk and put a 45 lb tube frame in front of it. That will be coming out at Norwalk So will the Spare, jack, and chalks... and skid plate.

Just have to figure out how to launch a 3800 lb car with IRS on 245x45 tires without wheel hop....
Old 07-26-2005, 03:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jason Rogers:
I suspect you guys are seeing 04's at the track. They had the LS1 which was 350 horse. The 05' have the LS2 which is 400 hp. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Thats because the rest of us are frickin' idiots and can't tell the difference between the two. Guess I'm going to have to post the videos so someone can tell me how to tell the difference.
Old 07-27-2005, 02:19 AM
Ultimate Warrior

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by red70goat:
All 'typical' drivers I'm sure. Face it, this phoney pile of sh*t that GM attempted to regurgitate as a GTO is finally showing it's true colors, the facts don't support the hype. Your beloved GM Monaro is just another me-too in a sea of jelly bean sedans. Beavis and Lutzhead are legends in their own minds. Hopefully they'll pull their heads out and build a GTO the way it was meant to built: In your face stance and neck snapping acceleration.....BTW:Still trying to get on the Police Force with that 6 year degree of yours? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Which hype would that be? That they run mid to low 13's stock? Is that better or worse than the first GTO's bone stock? Hmmmmmm

Yea, that 64 LeMans with a couple of pot metal emblems on the hood was in your face styling for you...lol
Old 07-27-2005, 05:53 AM
Ultimate Warrior

First time the initial post picture has loaded for me on this. The 04 "Sport Appearance Package" includes an 05 hood, "autocross" front grilles and a taller three post rear spoiler. That's what it looks like this car has. The 05s also have a 6.0 emblem for their 6L LS2.
1965 GTO 4 barrel 3 speed project
2004 GTO Pulse Red stock motor computer tune 13.43@103.4
1964 Impala SS 409/470ci 600 HP stroker project
1979 Camaro IAII Edelbrock head 500" 695 HP 10.33@132 3595lbs
Old 07-27-2005, 10:52 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

All 'typical' drivers I'm sure. Face it, this phoney pile of sh*t that GM attempted to regurgitate as a GTO is finally showing it's true colors, the facts don't support the hype. Your beloved GM Monaro is just another me-too in a sea of jelly bean sedans. Beavis and Lutzhead are legends in their own minds. Hopefully they'll pull their heads out and build a GTO the way it was meant to built: In your face stance and neck snapping acceleration.....BTW:Still trying to get on the Police Force with that 6 year degree of yours? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Which hype would that be?
That the GTO is back

Is that better or worse than the first GTO
I would hope after a 30 year absence GM could improve on it...Still waiting. I will agree though a Monaro with a LS1 is faster than a real GTO produced 30 -40+ years ago.

Yea, that 64 LeMans

Uhhh, that would be Tempest there Gomer. Don't confuse that with a '67 Grand Prix now.

with a couple of pot metal emblems on the hood was in your face styling for you...lol </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

And how many jap cars did the '64 look like again?...As opposed to the GM Monaro? For the record: My favorite year style wise was '69 w/ the hideaways, endura bumper, tail lights slightly integrated into the trunk lid, looked good from any angle, something the bloated GM Monaro desperately needs...BTWoes your supervisor @ Wendys know you're using his computer?
Old 07-27-2005, 11:49 AM

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">that 64 LeMans with a couple of pot metal emblems on the hood was in your face styling for you...lol </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Yea, that 64 LeMans with a couple of pot metal emblems on the hood was in your face styling for you...lol </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Don't forget those stylin 15 inch pizza cutter stamped metal wheels with the center "cone" that falls off at every speed bump!
Old 07-27-2005, 12:24 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by steve kepecs:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">that 64 LeMans with a couple of pot metal emblems on the hood was in your face styling for you...lol </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Yea, that 64 LeMans with a couple of pot metal emblems on the hood was in your face styling for you...lol </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Don't forget those stylin 15 inch pizza cutter stamped metal wheels with the center "cone" that falls off at every speed bump! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Isn't it pathetic the way you GM Monaro Glee Club types have to compare the GM Monaro to something that was built over 30-40 years ago to make the GM Monaro look good in terms of quality, styling and performance? Kind of makes one wonder if GM had done it right in their efforts to revive the GTO in 04 and created a new benchmark instead slapping together an imposter, what would it be compared to by todays standards?
Old 07-27-2005, 12:51 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Isn't it pathetic the way you GM Monaro Glee Club types have to compare the GM Monaro to something that was built over 30-40 years ago to make the GM Monaro look good in terms of quality, styling and performance? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Isn't it pathetic the way you 1970s LeMans(oops,GTO) Glee club types have to compair something that was built over 30-40 years ago to the newer GTO to make a 70's Buick, Chevy, Oldsmobile, Pontiac clone car look good in terms of quality, styling and performance?
Old 07-27-2005, 01:08 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by steve kepecs:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Isn't it pathetic the way you GM Monaro Glee Club types have to compare the GM Monaro to something that was built over 30-40 years ago to make the GM Monaro look good in terms of quality, styling and performance? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Isn't it pathetic the way you 1970s LeMans(oops,GTO) Glee club types have to compair something that was built over 30-40 years ago to the newer GTO to make a 70's Buick, Chevy, Oldsmobile, Pontiac clone car look good in terms of quality, styling and performance? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I seriously doubt the appreciating market value of these cars is due to a comparison of a GM Monaro.
Old 07-27-2005, 01:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If the car was so bad, then why did they sell the 87% of their orders per total plant capacity for 2004 and why is it so hard to get a 2005 and sales for the 05 are up 87% from 2004.

Seems like those that have purchased it love it. There are only 5 used ones in a 100 mile radius of me. There are not a lot of new ones left on lots either. Production on the 2006 models starts in just two weeks.
Old 07-27-2005, 03:10 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Mr_GTO:
If the car was so bad,
It's not a bad car, just a lousy GTO.

then why did they sell the 87% of their orders per total plant capacity for 2004

Uhhh, probably because of deep, deep discounts after GM and the dealers got a clue what a turkey they produced.

Seems like those that have purchased it love it. QUOTE]

And more power to them if they do.
Old 07-28-2005, 02:22 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Uhhh, probably because of deep, deep discounts after GM and the dealers got a clue what a turkey they produced.

And more power to them if they do. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Tip for ya, bolding sentences or phrases don't make them come across any stronger, just makes you more annoying.

Again, WHAT makes it a lousy car? Please explain that one to me...

Dealers were gouging the car, that is why they didn't sell. It was proven in June that the car could sell all day and night at $31K.

Yup, many many love the car. Reason? It isn't like ANYTHING ELSE GM has available. Nor Ford Nor DC.
Old 07-28-2005, 12:46 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

[QUOTE]Originally posted by red70goat:

And more power to them if they do. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Tip for ya, bolding sentences or phrases don't make them come across any stronger, just makes you more annoying.
Good. Knowing that annoys you I'll continue to do it.

Again, WHAT makes it a lousy car? Please explain that one to me...
I didn't say it was a lousy car and clearly differentiated that. Read my post again and I'll explain it to you.

Dealers were gouging the car, that is why they didn't sell.
It didn't sell because it's an ugly car with piss poor marketing efforts on GMs part. Beavis and Lutzhead thought they could skate by on a legendary name alone.

It was proven in June that the car could sell all day and night at $31K.
Wow, 1 month out of 12...what an accomplishment. BTW:How many of those were CA sales?

Yup, many many love the car. Reason?
It performs well Gohmer.

It isn't like ANYTHING ELSE GM has available.
With that logic then the SSR should be selling.