Old 01-13-2020, 10:20 PM

Default New Wiring Harness

I am looking at wiring harnesses, I think I am leaning toward American Autowire.

So I have been thinking what needs to be connected, here is what I have so far, please let me know if I missed something.

Engine and all engine components

Headlights

Front parking lights

horns

window washer pump motor/wipers

door pins

interior light

dash gauges

radio

heater

ignition

wiper switch

cigarette lighter

light switch

rear lights

license plate light

gas tank

If I am missing something or should add something, please let me know.

Thanks

IG: #67MoparBird (Follow my rebuild)
1967 Firebird 400

Appeared on Gearz, Season 16, Episode 1, Segment 'What Are You Working On?'
Old 01-14-2020, 09:58 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I installed the American Autowire harness in my '67 bird a few years ago. The wires are well marked and heavier where they need to be. They are also longer so you can re-route & hide them if you want. There are plenty of circuits for all of the factory options & extras for any add-ons. It also comes with all of the factory style (Packard 56) terminals.

When it comes to the Packard 56 connectors, don't bother buying an expensive crimper like the directions recommend. I tried several different crimpers and none of them worked as well as I would have liked so I ended up using crimpers like these.

It takes a little bit longer to crimp a terminal, but you get a better crimp & the terminal wont pull off.

There is no try. - Yoda

1967 Firebird Restoration 2005 - 1/25/2017
Old 01-14-2020, 11:51 AM

Ditto on the crimpers. AAW was a great kit. Did my 68 bird. I soldered EVERY connection after crimping.
Also, put relays in for headlights (2), fans (up to 2), fuel pump, etc. Do it now, later gets awful to run new main power.
i ran a heavy gauge main power to several places in the car for powering the high side of the relays.

Old 01-14-2020, 12:11 PM

What year/make/model car do you have, and what options does it have (electric windows, a/c, etc.)? If you have a copy of the factory shop manual, it should have a wiring diagram that will show all the different connections required; if it was built between 1957 to 1965 you may be able to find a diagram at the Old Car Manual Project website: http://www.oldcarmanualproject.com/m...ing/index.html

Old 01-14-2020, 12:56 PM

Thanks guys.

The car is a 67 firebird with a rebuilt 68 -400 motor pushing around 400hp, power steering and power disk brakes. No ac or power windows.

Will do led rear lights and led interior lights. Looking at aftermarket gauge package.

DM3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
What year/make/model car do you have, and what options does it have (electric windows, a/c, etc.)? If you have a copy of the factory shop manual, it should have a wiring diagram that will show all the different connections required; if it was built between 1957 to 1965 you may be able to find a diagram at the Old Car Manual Project website: http://www.oldcarmanualproject.com/m...ing/index.html

IG: #67MoparBird (Follow my rebuild)
1967 Firebird 400

Appeared on Gearz, Season 16, Episode 1, Segment 'What Are You Working On?'