Non Pontiac Motors in Pontiacs includes factory 403,305,350 Chevy, Buick V6,
Also Pontiac Motors in non-Pontiacs!

Old 11-10-2011, 12:49 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Frame Updates

Still dont have any new pictures, but I had to go to the chassis shop today to finalize the changes needed to the frame. We set the mock up engine in the chassis with the headers and made the changes needed. The front reinforcement bar is being relocated lower to allow the clearance of the radiator and lower fan shroud. The two reinforcement bars running under the lower control arm bracket have been modified to allow the headers to clear. While I was there they told me how much change there was in the frame rigidity before and after. Prior to the changes the frame had a total movement of 3.5" when lifting one corner, after the changes the frame moves a total of 5/8"! I also have dropped off all of my other parts at the powdercoater. The rear end is getting done now, so that I can have it back sooner to allow that to be reassembled at the rear end shop. All of the parts are being coated a medium charcoal grey metallic. The rear end has an aluminum T/A cover that will be wrinkle finish black to offset the grey for a little contrast. None of this means anything without pictures so I will get those posted hopefully next week. The plan is to get the entire frame and suspension built and rolling by the end of December. I anticipate having the motor completed by this time in December and in the chassis also by the end of the year. My ultimate goal is to have the car finished by March in order to compete at the Del Mar Goodguys Autocross Challenge. Goodguys finally changed the rules and will allow my '73 into the show on the last day of the show.

1973 Pontiac Grand Am ERL built 430 CI LS7, Brodix STS BR7 heads, Magnum T-56 6-speed, Modulare 19" wheels, QA1/Global West/Speedtech suspension, Wilwood 6/4 piston brakes. BMW Donnington Gray paint. All wrapped up in a Hurst Pontiac tribute theme.
Old 11-10-2011, 10:26 AM
Suspended

Thumbs up Rollcage?

Sounds great Stobin. Congrats on being able to “…compete at the Del Mar Goodguys Autocross Challenge”. Hope it all comes together on time for you to able to compete there. My wife and I love the Del Mar, La Jolla area. We parasailed at Torrey Pines and stayed in La Jolla on our last visit.

I was wondering if you will be using hard metal, poly body mounts, or rubber now that your frame is so stiff and so little flex?

I was thinking that solid mounts may make it a beast on the street; that is, unless your ultimate goal is to use it as mostly an autocross and track car. No matter either way. Just wondering what you are thinking about this. Any plans to install a Rollcage?

Noticed that a lot of car’s that start out built like yours often become full-out racecars once the owners are “bitten by the bug”.

Old 11-11-2011, 01:20 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I can say with certainty that my GA will never get the "race car" treatment. I enjoy the car too much to cut it up. I am real happy with the idea of it being a comfortable street car that just happens to be brutally fast. The body bushings are going to stay rubber for now but Energy Suspension is possibly interested in looking at the car next year to come up with a urethane kit for the '73-'77's. We'll see if that happens. The rollcage idea is not something I want. If the car gets that fast, which if I can actually get traction, it will be.... I will need to see what I want to do at that point. I will probably just lift at the end of the run, or get kicked off. I always wanted to autocross and track day the car, but it will only be for fun. The car will not go hardcore in that direction, just a good all around street car.

1973 Pontiac Grand Am ERL built 430 CI LS7, Brodix STS BR7 heads, Magnum T-56 6-speed, Modulare 19" wheels, QA1/Global West/Speedtech suspension, Wilwood 6/4 piston brakes. BMW Donnington Gray paint. All wrapped up in a Hurst Pontiac tribute theme.
Old 11-11-2011, 01:56 AM
Suspended

Wink Sounds of Silence? Simon & Carbunkle

Yes. Sounds like you have it pretty well figured out and dialed where to start and stop with the mods. Certainly no one but you has the right to say what will and does happen with your car…although there is plenty of potential for unsolicited “advice” on this board! LOL

What are your thoughts on urethane? Specifically the possibility of squeaking and noise from them? A late model Lifted 4x4 PU drove by the other day, and I literally could hear the suspension before I saw the truck coming!!!

You know what I mean, for sure…

Old 11-11-2011, 11:24 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Frame Bushings

I will need to consider that. I don't have any urethane on the car as of now. All of the suspension components are Global West and they have the Del-A-Lum bushings which are silent. I also talked to Doug last month when I was at their shop getting the new upper rear control arms. They dont make them for the our year car, but might be able to figure out a solution. It's worth doing now while it's all apart.

Old 11-11-2011, 12:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Unsolicited advice. So that's what it's called

Old 11-11-2011, 12:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have seen this Stobin's car many times...first rate. I look forward to seeing the completed project. Well, at least this version...Couldn't resist Sean

The "unsolicited advice" comment is priceless!

For GTO Celebration items click the tile coaster.
Old 11-11-2011, 04:30 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Hey Big Dave. Nice to hear from you. Your comments are correct. Cant ever seem to keep the car in one version for long. This is the last time...I promise. Seriously. Man I hope so.

Old 11-11-2011, 06:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

2013: Magnusson TVS2300
2015: Direct Injection
2018: Twin turbo diesel
2020: Add hybrid to TT diesel

Also, need to change some drivetrain components:

IRS
Tremec 6060

Need anymore?

Old 11-11-2011, 09:14 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Karch: Here we go again with supercharger thing. I love the way you spend my money. When it's finished we need to line up and see what that GTO you never drive can do.

Old 11-11-2011, 09:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

No trash talking warranted. I can assure you that I have more miles on mine the past 15 years than you....not to mention I have time slips

Old 11-12-2011, 08:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

This is a cool project. Love the frame mods.

70 Formula RA III / M21 / Lucerne Blue / Bright Blue
Old 11-12-2011, 09:43 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Thanks Keith.

Old 11-12-2011, 09:52 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith k View Post
This is a cool project. Love the frame mods.
Absolutely!! This is a great project and the thread I most look forward to for updates.
Keep up the good work.

Paul

Old 11-12-2011, 11:15 PM

cool project. i am also building one, but with pontiac power.

i bought the QA1 coilover conversion for the front, is there any kind of coilover kit for the rear?

Old 11-13-2011, 12:03 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Rear Coilovers

I looked into it, but decided against the idea due to the cost involved. You can do a weld in kit on any car, but as far as a bolt in kit for our gen A-body that is harder to find. I will probably get either QA1 adjustables or Ridetech adjustables. Koni is another choice. The thread has been a little boring for the last week or two, but I promise to have a lot more pictures before Thanksgiving. I will have the frame back in about a week, and will be documenting the entire suspension and drivetrain build.

Old 11-14-2011, 01:55 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Suspension Springs

While I am waiting to get the frame back from the powdercoater, I have sent out my front coil-over springs, and rear coil springs to Kevin at Coil Spring Specialties in Kansas. They are measuring the rates and heights against what they are advertised to be to see exactly what I had in the car, and will custom build me anything I want based on the weight of the car and what I want to do with it. The front QA1 springs are suppose to be 550# rated. The rears are from Global West, but I cant remember what the rates are. They are both linear rates and I will be sticking with a linear rate. Since I am losing about 200# off the front end I am not sure what rate to go to. My idea is to get the fronts somewhere in the 550-600# range, and increase the rear rate by about 15% with an extra 1/4" drop. I am going to autocross the car, but I do not want to ruin the ride. With all the improvements I now have in the frame mods, I want to make sure I have the suspension scienced out correctly. I already run a 1.25" front sway bar, and a 7/8" rear sway bar, so I am going to keep them as is and see how that works.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2011-11-13 17.48.40.jpg (94.1 KB, 316 views)

Old 11-17-2011, 08:57 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Chssis Revisions

I had a chance to get back to the chassis shop to see the revisions made to the frame. In the post's I had earlier, you can see that the front crossbar had to be moved in order to allow the steering box and radiator/lower fan shroud to clear. Rob at No Limit took care of those changes. Here is a look at the new location for the crossbar.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2011-11-17 13.20.17.jpg (97.8 KB, 344 views)
File Type: jpg 2011-11-17 13.20.31.jpg (92.8 KB, 325 views)

Old 11-17-2011, 09:01 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default More Chassis Revisions

Here is a shot of the frame to lower control arm brace that was changed in order to allow header clearance. I am running 1 7/8" headers which now clear nicely.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2011-11-17 13.20.47.jpg (96.0 KB, 348 views)

Old 11-17-2011, 09:29 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default New Coil-over Supsension Modifications

After going to the chassis shop, I stopped by Global West Suspension. Doug and I spoke about their new long travel coil-over suspension kit for my car. They do not have one for the '73-'77 A-body, but due to the fact that I have my frame at the chassis shop, which is only three miles from them, Doug was interested in creating a kit for this chassis. I will not be able to afford the Penske shocks, but I will most likely be running a QA1 double adjustable coil-over. This kit uses a longer shock which will allow for more overall suspension travel. I stole a picture from another web post in order to show the set up. I will have the ability to run a traditional coil-over spring with a huge amount of rates to choose from. We will determine the rate later. Doug knows I want to keep the ride intact so he suggested to start around 600# or so. The car is a tank even with the LS7 installed. I will be selling my existing QA1 coil-overs in order to afford this latest decision.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	29aqvpi.jpg
Views:	348
Size:	69.6 KB
ID:	263822