Old 01-08-2008, 10:49 PM

Default Difficulty Level of Floor Shift Conversion?

So, I have gathered the necessary supplies (Almost), including the Shifter and Center Console for my 77 Grand Prix. I've already installed the Bucket seats, and have confirmed the Console will fit. Apparently I can purchase the Transmission linkage for the shifter at a local Checker Auto, so therefore I ask:

Besides cutting the hole in the floor, and mounting the shifter and console in place, how difficult past that point is it to do the Column to Floor Shifter conversion?

I presume I'll be unhooking some existing linkage and installing the new stuff, but I'm sure it can't be that easy.

Thanks in advance for any replies!

(I'm not looking for a perfectly clean restored look, meaning if I have to leave old column linkage in the car, I will)

Old 01-09-2008, 01:07 AM
Suspended

what are you doing about the column shifter, PRndl indications on the dash, and the column itself?

Old 01-10-2008, 12:19 AM

I'm converting to a Floor Shifter, and going to..."delete" the column shifter.

Old 01-13-2008, 08:29 PM

Anyone, anyone at all? If I purchase this and manage to mount the shifter and cut a hole in the floorboard for the linkage, how much more work would I have to do?

Old 01-17-2008, 10:54 PM

I converted my 77GP from a column to console several years ago.

I changed out the steering column, drilled a hole for the cable and pretty much put it all together with no problem.

The column will still move the indicator, neural safety switch, etc. You have to make sure you keep the column connected as was the one with the shifter on it. I took everything needed off of a parts car, so I had no linkage problem.

Old 01-22-2008, 12:53 AM

I have the Console already, and the shifter. How big of a hole would I have to drill for the linkage? Also, how would one mount the shifter to the floor? Since it would sit right over the transmission tunnel, how would you go about placing bolts through the floor board?

Basically what I'm asking is, if I crawl under the car, and have the new linkage hanging through a hole through the floorboard, what would I need to disconnect and then hook up?

Old 01-26-2008, 01:03 AM

Default floor shift

I did this conversion about 10 years ago. And I just stripped those same parts off a 1977 SJ last week. I think there is already a hole thru the floorpan even if it is delivered with a column shift, because I did not do any cutting on my 77 LJ to convert from bench/column shift to buckets/console/floor shift. Hopefully you have the grommet that fits around the linkage and seals the hole in the floorpan? The shifter assembly bolts to the floor (existing holes) and the console bolts to the shifter assembly. I can take a picture of the grommet and the linkage if you need it.
Regards,
Dave

Old 01-26-2008, 10:26 AM

So you're saying there should already be a hole in the Floorboard? Would you be able to feel it under the carpet? I've run my hand around that area and haven't felt any sort of hole...

Old 01-26-2008, 04:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

IT MAY BE PLUGGED.

1971 bonneville hearse 455/4
1972 grand safari wagon 6 pass 455/4
1995 Firebird Formula 5.7 convertible
2002 gp 40th anniv. SC V6
2003 gmc sierra 2500hd 8.1 liter

***LIKE MY FACEBOOK PAGE https://www.facebook.com/GratefulParts***

http://stores.shop.ebay.com/GRATEFUL...__W0QQ_armrsZ1
Old 01-26-2008, 05:07 PM
Senior Chief

when i built my 77 gp figure 8 car, (was column shift) took the carpet out and there was no hole in the floor pan, or grommet

Old 01-27-2008, 12:55 PM

there won't be a hole but there will be a diviot or locating mark in the position the hole needs to be drilled in.

every one i've ever had the carpet out of has one.

mike

moderator is a glorified word for an unappreciated prick..................

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the
former." --Albert Einstein

"There is no such thing as a good tax."

"We contend that for a nation to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle."

- Winston Churchill