Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 02-20-2014, 07:57 AM

Default Q-Jet Manual /Elec. Choke ?

Can anyone tell me if a manual choke Q-jet can be converted to an electric choke . I would like to use my Q-Jet on my current build but the Edelbrock Intake doesn't have a provision for a manual choke . If this is a possibility ,where could I get the conversion parts ?

Old 02-20-2014, 08:20 AM
Senior Chief

Member Cliff R sells a kit to convert the Q-jet to electric choke.

Old 02-20-2014, 08:23 AM
Ultimate Warrior

What is the carburetor part number?....Cliff

73 Ventura, SOLD 455, 3740lbs, 11.30's at 120mph, 1977 Pontiac Q-jet, HO intake, HEI, 10" converter, 3.42 gears, DOT's, 7.20's at 96mph and still WAY under the roll bar rule. Best ET to date 7.18 at 97MPH (1/8th mile),
Old 02-20-2014, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff R View Post
What is the carburetor part number?....Cliff
Hey Cliff , PN 29268 WF 0049

Old 02-21-2014, 02:25 AM
Ultimate Warrior

To expand a bit - "it depends." Which is why Cliff wants to know the part number...

Old 02-21-2014, 08:30 AM
Ultimate Warrior

There is no electric choke "conversion" for that carburetor number. The choke is on the intake, not on the carburetor. They make electric choke units for the intake to replace the stock one, but we do not sell them here due to lack of interest, and they are expensive parts to stock when I don't get more than 1 or 2 calls a year for them.

If you have a later carburetor with a carburetor mounted hot air choke, we sell a conversion for those. The electric choke we sell is the correct one for a quadrajet, "clocks" with the terminal down, not up at the top or on the side where it looks like shi@ and can hit the air cleaner base.

It also works like it's supposed to, it's a USA made part, and we've had zero issues with them to date. Yes, it's a tad more expensive than the ones on E-bay, but those are NOT the same deal (the words cheap POS come to mind here) and ours comes with an electrical connector for the wiring and all the hardware needed for the install, etc........Cliff

73 Ventura, SOLD 455, 3740lbs, 11.30's at 120mph, 1977 Pontiac Q-jet, HO intake, HEI, 10" converter, 3.42 gears, DOT's, 7.20's at 96mph and still WAY under the roll bar rule. Best ET to date 7.18 at 97MPH (1/8th mile),
Old 02-21-2014, 08:59 AM

Default Q-Jet Mechanical /Electric Choke

Cliff ,do you sell carburetors ? If not could you recommend a good place to get one ? My build is for a 69 GP . I'm using a Edelbrock Performer RPM Intake and I'd like to use my dual Snorkel Air Cleaner. I also need to know what PN to Buy .

Quote:
There is no electric choke "conversion" for that carburetor number. The choke is on the intake, not on the carburetor. They make electric choke units for the intake to replace the stock one, but we do not sell them here due to lack of interest, and they are expensive parts to stock when I don't get more than 1 or 2 calls a year for them.

If you have a later carburetor with a carburetor mounted hot air choke, we sell a conversion for those. The electric choke we sell is the correct one for a quadrajet, "clocks" with the terminal down, not up at the top or on the side where it looks like shi@ and can hit the air cleaner base.

It also works like it's supposed to, it's a USA made part, and we've had zero issues with them to date. Yes, it's a tad more expensive than the ones on E-bay, but those are NOT the same deal (the words cheap POS come to mind here) and ours comes with an electrical connector for the wiring and all the hardware needed for the install, etc........Cliff

Old 02-21-2014, 09:07 AM
Ultimate Warrior

If you want a working choke with the RPM intake, a later model electric choke carb will be needed. We sell custom units outright, no core required, but have a waiting list for them. Contact the shop for details/specifics, etc.....Cliff

Old 02-21-2014, 09:27 AM

Default Q-Jet Mechanical /Electric Choke

Hey Cliff ,Can you give me the contact information ?

Quote:
If you want a working choke with the RPM intake, a later model electric choke carb will be needed. We sell custom units outright, no core required, but have a waiting list for them. Contact the shop for details/specifics, etc.....Cliff