Old 03-04-2000, 01:49 PM

I need to replace the top on my 68 Lemans convertible. I got a price form a local shop that wanted $1,300 to do the work (they provide the top and other material). This price seems a little too high to me, but I'll admit I don't know how long (labor hours) it would take to do this job. I have a copy of the Fisher body manual for this car, and the process described in the book looks very involved. How much should this job cost? The bows, motor, cylinders and lines look good to me, but the latches and weather stripping are bad. I know I can buy the top and other material from several different part vendors (including Performance Years). Several people have already told me that it is a wise idea to replace the lines and cylinders even if the parts look good because they could leak unexpectedly and ruin a good interior. What is the best way to go with a project like this?

Old 03-04-2000, 01:49 PM

I need to replace the top on my 68 Lemans convertible. I got a price form a local shop that wanted $1,300 to do the work (they provide the top and other material). This price seems a little too high to me, but I'll admit I don't know how long (labor hours) it would take to do this job. I have a copy of the Fisher body manual for this car, and the process described in the book looks very involved. How much should this job cost? The bows, motor, cylinders and lines look good to me, but the latches and weather stripping are bad. I know I can buy the top and other material from several different part vendors (including Performance Years). Several people have already told me that it is a wise idea to replace the lines and cylinders even if the parts look good because they could leak unexpectedly and ruin a good interior. What is the best way to go with a project like this?

Old 03-04-2000, 08:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I had a new top put on my '67 2 years ago here in California. It was $600.00 in Labor and he did a great job. I supplied all rubber and the top and the top was off the car with the frame ready to go. I got quotes of $800.00 - $1200.00 for parts and labor. I bought the top at PY. I think it was around $250.00. Originally thinking I would do it myself. But the top that was on the car was a homedone job by my Dad's friend from the 80's and it never looked REAL good. After I took the top off and pulled the frame off to repaint it and all, It really looked like something I didn't want to get into. I wouldn't suggest it. I called around. Most wouldn't do it unless they supply the top. Hope that Helps.
James

Work
'67 GTO Convertible "Koerner Built 413 500 hp with a Victor!.. I'll run a stock intake."
'75 Formula 400 - Daily Driver -
Running with my Home Built 455 and TH400

Details here:
http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=588372
Old 03-06-2000, 12:23 AM
Administrator

$1,300 does sound high. If you are real handy and patient you could do it yourself with a friend, but it is not an easy job! However, installing a top is like painting a car....It's not a science, it's an art. And the key to a long lasting top, is the installation. Even if you were successful in a nice looking installation, in 2 or 3 years when the vinyl starts shrinking, a dimensional error you made could come back as a tear! My top is 14 years old and still looks nice with no tears. I paid a professional to have it done. $450 plus I supplied the top. My suggestion...

1. Find another local installer or two

2. Ask what brand they like to install
(important! An professional installer will get use to a particular manufacturers top.)

3. Get pricing with and w/o the top

Your decision will then be easier.

[This message has been edited by Ccass (edited 03-05-2000).]

Old 03-12-2000, 11:01 PM

Where do you start when taking the top off. Or should I say what's the easiest way to take it off ??? Thanks

Old 03-13-2000, 08:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Scott,
It would take up to much space for a step by step on how to take it off, so your best bet would be to pick up a copy of the Fisher body manual for '69. It is a great source of information on not only the folding top, but the entire car. It is well worth the 30 bucks, and will save you much time and agravation.
George

Old 03-13-2000, 10:57 PM

Thanks George, I'll put that on my Birthday wish list coming up in Next month.