Old 08-11-2020, 05:56 PM

Default vent on 12 bolt rear

Vent on rear differential needs to be replaced. How can u get it out without it crumbling and keep pieces from falling into pumpkin?

Old 08-12-2020, 04:22 PM

Its the little plastic piece that pushes into the housing. I would think someone on this site has replaced one before.

Old 08-13-2020, 01:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I took mine off to paint the rear and I think the cap was broken off anyways. and it was the original 50 yr old part. Don't recall it being the slightest bit of an issue, just twisted a screwdriver under it and it came out. I don't think you'll have a crumbling issue. one thing I guess you could do if it's broken off and open at the top is just fill it with some hot glue to keep everything in place if you're really that worried about it breaking apart but I think we're overthinking the problem here that doesn't exist. just pry it out.

Old 08-13-2020, 08:59 PM

Sometimes the simplest thing can be a big PITA. Reason I asked is because a shop put a pinion seal on the rear 2 months ago and its leaking. He thought maybe vent could be plugged. Looked under car and noticed top broke off so I got a new one. Took car into shop the other day and guy said said it was metal when I told him it wasn't and showed him new one. He tried to pry it off and top of it above ridge just crumbled. Didn't want to pull cover if don't have to but I don't want any pieces falling into hole. Talked to a guy today and he said he uses an easy out and comes out no problem. Thanks GTO4EVR.

Old 08-17-2020, 05:42 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/rat-6109/overview You probably ended up with the wrong pinion seal like i did. Heres the right one. Read reviews below. There is alot more info on wrong 12 bolt seals out there.

Old 08-18-2020, 08:32 AM
Ultimate Warrior

always have been a tough nylon tube for me. Go for it.

Old 08-18-2020, 09:28 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Replacing damaged plastic style housing vents, I alternate sides with a thin small screwdriver. On rears in cars with a plastic vent that is broken off flush with housing tube, I use a 3" deck screw. Sticking the deck screw in at an angle & with pressure dragging the partial plastic vent upwards.