Pontiac - Race The next Level

Old 03-07-2020, 01:03 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Fine tuning front springs?

I posted this over at yellow bullet, but curios to get a few suggestions here from the pontiac family...

I was running my 68 fbody with 200lb Santuff springs, smith racecraft arms and viking DA shocks. The front end sat high and only had about 2.5" of up travel in front susp. In good air I was running 1.52 60ft 10.5 sec @ 128mph.

With that setup, the left side of car always sat about 3/4" lower than right side with no driver.

I added a glass hood over the winter along with a shorter radial drag slick, and In an effort to lower and level front end , I have a 180lb spring on left side and 165 lb on right. That setup now has the left side only 1/4" lower than right no driver. Front end now has now about 3" of down travel and 4" up. The stance looks good for the strip , and sits well with my 160lb butt in the seat.

My concern is now on the street... with a driver and passenger, the front end sits too low and likely not safe with minimal squat available under hard braking, etc.

Maybe I just need to experiment, but would it be best to throw one of the 200lb springs on left side (leaving 165 on right), or should I get another 180lb for the right, even though car will now sit low on driver side by about 3/4" ?

At this level of racing , is it important to try keeping the front end level, or is it more important to keep equal rate springs in the car, especially for the street?

On side note, only street driving I do is around town, no long trips. Here is a pic of current stance no front shocks.

Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

68 Firebird-- Street/Strip - 400/461 Eagle Forged Bottom End & Ross Flat top pistons. KRE 325 CFM D port, Ultradyne 263/271 @.050, .4267 lift. Crower Solid roller lifters and 1.65 stainless rockers. Quickfuel 1000 on Torker2 intake and 2" open spacer. Hedman 1.75" headers. TH400 w/brake. Ford 9" w/3.80 gears & 28x9 Hoosier pro bracket drag radial. Best ET: 1.35 60ft, 6.29 @ 107.20 mph, 9.99 @132.33 mph. 3,300 race weight
Old 03-07-2020, 04:59 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Car looks really nice. I like the way it sits now with the front tire tucked into the fender, mine used to sit that low too. But I did have trouble with speed bumps from time to time. I raised mine about an inch to make additional ground clearance. The lowest thing on my car luckily is not the oil pan but I got tired of dragging the headers on things. Not sure what springs it would take for you to accomplish raising the front but I would suggest it for street driving if you have issues dragging the pan/exhaust over bumps . as far as the front orientation going down the track , having it level is better than nose up for aerodynamics but in not sure how critical . mine stays nose up a little all the way down the track.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20191207_162648-1-1.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	77.4 KB
ID:	533983