Old 10-26-2013, 09:19 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Well if the OP was'nt so anal ( date coded wheels ) I could hook him up with both Steelies and 72 Poverty caps.

Old 10-26-2013, 10:47 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Maybe it's the client that's particular.

Old 10-26-2013, 01:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge273 View Post
I know the feeling as when I see this one. Even though its a 73 I think its got a nice sleeper look!

I like the look of steelies on that particular car, as it has no bright trim options on the body also. I find the steelie look really weird on the wheel opening trim, window trim cars. The real point when well optioned cars were ordered with steelies was 95% of the time the first owner had big plans for cool aftermarket rims, and costly stock upgrade as honeycombs were throwing money out the window. in 1970-73, aftermarket rims were vastly "cooler" than stock anything. This is why the steelies and caps are hard to find also, they were thrown in the backyard as "junk" once the cool rims were on, or sold as trailer tires and rims, haha...........

Old 10-26-2013, 02:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by bird72 View Post
I like the look of steelies on that particular car, as it has no bright trim options on the body also. I find the steelie look really weird on the wheel opening trim, window trim cars. The real point when well optioned cars were ordered with steelies was 95% of the time the first owner had big plans for cool aftermarket rims, and costly stock upgrade as honeycombs were throwing money out the window. in 1970-73, aftermarket rims were vastly "cooler" than stock anything. This is why the steelies and caps are hard to find also, they were thrown in the backyard as "junk" once the cool rims were on, or sold as trailer tires and rims, haha...........
This is so true. We had a stack of colored painted "steelies" in the back of the parts room from "take offs", AND we ended up painting them black , and giving or selling with a full size tire to those ( men mostly) who could not get their minds around a space saver, blow up spare, in their new car, usually to make a deal work. We used the hub caps to wash carb parts, soak bearings we wanted to re pack..after making a nice flat spot in them.

Old 10-26-2013, 02:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Held for Ransom View Post
Maybe it's the client that's particular.
I was talking about Brewster.

Old 10-26-2013, 05:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Well, he's just crazy...

Old 10-30-2013, 05:00 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Hey, thanks for all the responses. We now have access to what looks like everything needed for steel wheels and correct caps. I actually thought I had a set of dated wheels from a 72 GTO I had years ago but they were 14". The Formula's owner, who is also a member here, has been in contact with someone for wheels. Not sure about caps though but I'm sure he will. I've learned some neat stuff regarding colors of steel wheels, etc. Great info in this thread, thanks again guys.

The Following User Says Thank You to sd455hota For This Useful Post:
Old 10-30-2013, 05:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by sd455hota View Post
Hey, thanks for all the responses. We now have access to what looks like everything needed for steel wheels and correct caps. I actually thought I had a set of dated wheels from a 72 GTO I had years ago but they were 14". The Formula's owner, who is also a member here, has been in contact with someone for wheels. Not sure about caps though but I'm sure he will. I've learned some neat stuff regarding colors of steel wheels, etc. Great info in this thread, thanks again guys.
Cant bear the thought of my old car wearing those, however its much better off now than as a trans am clone it once was...Havent seen since it was in PA, post up some pics!!

Old 10-30-2013, 05:11 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Not very photogenic right now. Apart and spread out. Owner has been in contact with the original owner and has some great info/stories on the car. Hopefully he'll get on here and share.

Old 10-30-2013, 05:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thats a great car too!! Hope to hear those stories!

Old 12-03-2013, 09:44 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Sounds like the original owner still has some pics from back in the day and is sending them to the current owner. Should be fun to see.

So far he's mentioned plastic valance and no air cleaner sticker.

This is really turning into a great project. Now that we have the car nearly all bare metal I can see how solid it is. It's easily one of the most solid cars to come through here. Owner is fine with me posting pics so I'll get a couple going now and then.

Old 12-04-2013, 02:27 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Im glad its in your hands and getting Done right Steve.

Old 12-04-2013, 08:51 AM
Ultimate Warrior

FB did you know the OO? How many owners along the way? Some of those CA bodies are amazing! Can't wait to see pix! So, spoiler back or no???

Last edited by Judge273; 12-04-2013 at 08:57 AM.
Old 12-04-2013, 12:20 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Thank you Bruce. The original owner says he remembers trim rings with those caps which isn't sounding good to anyone. May not be original though. We had a local Pontiac dealer back in the mid 70s who ordered several A and F bodies with steel wheels and caps only. Then would push for a set of over the counter trim rings to spruce things up and make a few more bucks than getting them as an ordered option.

Mike, Spoiler is still undecided. We have some time though. The way I understand it, according to the original owner, the spoiler came off the car in the trunk. Interesting details with this car so far and I think more to come.

Old 12-04-2013, 12:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge273 View Post
FB did you know the OO? How many owners along the way? Some of those CA bodies are amazing! Can't wait to see pix! So, spoiler back or no???
Im not the OO, and didnt meet him, I "think" I was 3rd. I bought it and a 72T/A at same time, resold this Formy "minus" the air cleaner (enter extreme guilt last year when a member bought it to restore!! ). Car went to Pa for alot of years till last fall, then back to Ca!. Was solid when I had it but a bit ratty looking. Brought The T/A back east ( after having to pay those damn back registration fees California loves to charge, which is why I had to sell the Formy), ended up rusting to the ground in New Scotland.
This car stayed alot more complete than I had once thought. Calif cars are nice, this car will be sweet when done..

Old 03-11-2015, 04:45 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

So, time to paint wheels. Just to verify-if no trim ring the wheel was body color?

And was the backside of the wheel just semi gloss black with maybe some overspray that seaped through when painting the front?

I also remember back in the day when I saw these cars/wheels/etc new. When the wheel was body color the wheel was definately not as shiny as the car. Any thoughts on that?

Thanks

Old 03-11-2015, 04:45 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Maybe the car was baked after paint but the wheels were not. I don't know but it seems like the wheels shouldn't be too shiny.

Old 03-11-2015, 06:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The car was not that shiny when new, the wheels, in todays paint probably would go 60% gloss on the clear coat. the factory wheels were not buffed or baked to my knowledge. Just do one, and put it in the trunk!

Old 03-15-2015, 09:03 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Steve, If the car came with the Handling package the 15" Rally II's would be correct to the car. Did it have the Y99 option package?

Last edited by Brewster; 03-15-2015 at 09:12 AM.
Old 03-15-2015, 02:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Here Brewster... Have a look.. The window sticker says more on tires, I have sent that out to Gregg (sd455HOTa) OO pics indicate steelies though. It had mid 70's 15 inch rallys on it ( no cap slots) when I bought it. ( still had that nice original WU-3 air cleaner on the Q-Jet though!! )
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	455 HO.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	72.0 KB
ID:	392884