Suspension TECH Including Brakes, Wheels and tires

Old 03-11-2000, 10:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Anybody tried Stockton Wheel's 16/17 inch Rally II's?? They look pretty killer, but I'd like to see if anybody has had problems with them.
My buddy had a set of Chevy ones for his Malibu- they looked killer- it handled great.

------------------
John

Old 03-11-2000, 10:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Anybody tried Stockton Wheel's 16/17 inch Rally II's?? They look pretty killer, but I'd like to see if anybody has had problems with them.
My buddy had a set of Chevy ones for his Malibu- they looked killer- it handled great.

------------------
John

Old 03-13-2000, 10:50 AM

Sweet! I was wondering if anybody made them... anybody have any idea how much they cost? Like say in 17x9?

Thanks,
Kevin
kevin@fizziwigs.com

Old 03-13-2000, 11:52 PM
Senior Chief

JC, is there a website where we can see a picture of these? TM

Old 03-14-2000, 12:52 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Triggerman,

http://www.stocktonwheel.com/oemwheels.htm

Check it out.

Old 03-14-2000, 09:22 PM
Senior Chief

Cool!, one of the things I have found while trying to maintain a stock look is that your braking system is limited by what will fit inside the stock rim size. I didn't realize the 16" or 17" Rallye2 option was available, and it will allow larger disk setups to fit inside. It sounds like they handmake each one of these from stock factory centers?? as opposed to an entirely new unit like you can see in Summit. I didn't see any pricing on the web page...is it there and I just missed it? Thanks, TM

Old 03-15-2000, 10:52 AM

No, the prices are not on their web site, but I e-mailed them and got a quote. With your cores, here are some prices: 17"x9" are $225 each, 17"x8" are $195 each, and 16"x8" are $175 each. The prices are a little steep, but if you want to fork out the money, it seems like a pretty nice process, you specify how much backspacing you want and like that.

Later,
Kevin
kevin@fizziwigs.com

Old 03-15-2000, 03:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Priced any aftermarket 17x9 aluminum wheels that will fit our older cars lately? $225 isn't out of line for a wheel that size. I'm currently considering a set of Centerline billet wheels for my Formula in 17x9-1/2 with 5.25" backspacing and 285/40-17 tires. I'd be real curious to know how much a 17x9 Rally 2 weighs, the Cenerlines are about 23 lbs. each, which isn't exactly lightweight.

Old 03-15-2000, 04:42 PM

Will, I guess you're right, I hadn't really looked at new wheels prices. I guess my thing is that my being only 18 yrs old, at this point I can't really spend about $1600 for new rims & tires (though it would be nice :-). Anyways, they would probably be considerably heavier than 23 lbs... I weighed some 15"x8" Turbo Rims that I recently sold (had to get weight for shipping) and they were 20 lbs each... I'm not sure what steel wheels weigh, let alone larger ones, but I know its more than the aluminum Turbo rims I sold.

Later,
Kevin
kevin@fizziwigs.com

Old 03-15-2000, 10:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Guys,
I'm glad there's more people out there who are interested in handling/braking!
Tom, Thanks for posting the page (I don't hit the web consistantly anymore- Bodywork Time-YEAH!)
TM, You can get the wheels cheaper than the price quoted, you just have to talk to one of the salesmen who's into Ponchos- I saw the wheels (15's)at a Chevy/GMC truck show in Paso Robles a couple of years ago. The salesman said they were new stampings- Too cool, new stuff! Then I saw an ad for 16/17's and called and talked with one of the guys there. He said they could either build from my cores or use theirs, but obviously it'd be WAY cheaper to use my stuff. The guy gave me some killer prices for custom backspaced 16's (it seems like they were in the ballpark of $600.00-$650.00 for all four, which isn't unreasonable to me.
The Chevy wheels are made from blanks here in Fresno and in Stockton. The Wheel Vintiques guy could care less about Pontiacs (his own words-"Why build a Pontiac, chevy's better."- Yeah, what ever, Bite Me, Dude!), so He won't produce an aftermarket 16/17 Rally II (he says there's no market for Pontiacs <insert my earlier comment here!> )
So that's part of the reason why you can't buy wheels at Summit prices (BTW, the price here in Fresno is about 1/3 less, so if you're close to Stockton, you could probably get a real good price). The other reason is Chevy's are a lot more plentiful on the road, hence the larger demand (and cheaper prices- Oh well, I keep my Pontiac pure- guess that's the price you pay!
In closing, If all of us contact them and show the greater demand, we could probably get cheaper prices.
Later-

------------------
John

Old 03-17-2000, 11:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Kevin, If you want to upgrade to true high performance tires on your TA, keep an eye out for a set of the mid '80s Trans Am GTA "cross-lace" style wheels. They're pretty good looking one-piece cast aluminum 16x8 wheels with machined outers and painted centers. You can even get the 2nd Gen. Firebird emblems for the center caps from Classic industries. Classic Industries sells matched sets of these, brand new, but the price is a lot steeper than you can pick them up at a swap meet for, about $175 a wheel if I remember correctly. I picked up a set at a swap meet for $200, but they had the gold centers (they came in black and gold) and when I figured out how much work and $$ it would cost to properly refinish them in black I turned around and sold them for what I paid. The gold centers would look okay on a black or white car, but I didn't think they'd go with my blue car. They are really lightweight and I think they look good on our older cars. One thing to keep in mind is that they used different backspacings for the front and rear wheels and only the rear wheels will fit 2nd gen cars properly without using a spacer. The rears have 4.5" backspacing and the fronts have 5.25" backspacing which is about .25" too much to fit our 2nd gen cars. You can get .75" adapters from Vette Brakes and Products but they're kind of pricey at $130 for the pair and you'll have to do a little bit of grinding on the back side of the wheel to clear the bolts that mount the spacer to your hubs, but nothing major. I'm hesitant to suggest using one of those Mr. Gasket .25" universal wheel spacers that all the "speed shops" seem to sell as that just looks like a recipe for sheared off wheel studs to me. Anyway, sorry for the verbosity, but if you can find a set of these wheels cheap enough, you could conceivably step up to 16x8 wheels for under $400. Then you just have to buy the tires... (I recommend Firestone Firehawk SZ50s in the 255/50-16 size. Awesome tires, got 'em on IROC wheels on my Nova and love 'em!)

Old 03-29-2000, 02:02 AM
Senior Chief

JC, actually I'm looking for 2 rear rims that would give me a rallye2 look, but allow me to mount the largest M/T street tire made. Stopping is also a concern, hence the comment on brakes. Why are the prices "in" Stockton cheaper?? Cheaper just by the cost of shipping? Where the heck is Stockton anyways? Thanks for your input. TM

Old 03-30-2000, 01:48 AM
Ultimate Warrior

TM,
The reason they are cheaper in Stockton is that I have found if you go into a shop and have your order set up that day, with the cash in hand (not to mention telling them about their "special" prices thay had listed at the last show you attended- trust me, thay always have some show price that they don't advertise) and are cool with them, the guy will usually give you the "Good Guy" price. When I spoke to them, they quoted me a different price than some of the other fellas got (and since I knew they had a show special going and told them about my experience with Wheel Vintiques, I'm guessing that was part of the price difference).
Stockton is located in upper central California.
If you just want wider wheels (I'm guessing that 15's are ok), They (or most wheel customizing shops) could build them for you. I know 15x10 are available in repops and I believe they can widen your stockers even larger than that. It's something to consider.
Hopefully you got something out of all my ramblings....
Later-

------------------
John