Suspension TECH Including Brakes, Wheels and tires

Old 02-14-2000, 07:51 AM

Has anyone tried the Vett Brakes products? They sell a fiberglass spring for the front of our second gen Firebirds and Trans Ams, and they make em for the rear too. Do you think these things will work like they say? They claim you can get better than 1G on the skid pad with their springs and 16" or 17" wheels.

Old 02-14-2000, 07:51 AM

Has anyone tried the Vett Brakes products? They sell a fiberglass spring for the front of our second gen Firebirds and Trans Ams, and they make em for the rear too. Do you think these things will work like they say? They claim you can get better than 1G on the skid pad with their springs and 16" or 17" wheels.

Old 02-14-2000, 12:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I am using the fiberglass springs on my 74 in the rear and the transverse kit on the front. First the good news. You will shed over 100 pounds with the entire kit. The front becomes very adjustable (spring rate and ride height). If you are making some serious power, using the rear springs requires some extra work. These springs will not take the kind of abuse that a 500 horse motor with sticky tires will generate with slapper bars. You must float the rear springs and use a ladder bar setup. This isolates all forces except up and down from the springs. When you float them you can setup the rearend so the ride height is adjustable.

Old 02-14-2000, 11:16 PM
Suspended

The people at Vette Brakes will tell you in no uncertain terms, NOT to use the springs under high horsepower or drag race situations.

Dave Morgan (National Dragster columnist) wrote about a company in Maryland called Autofab (410-796-8777) that sells a spring specifically made to take this type of abuse. I spoke with the gentleman down there last year (I forget his name,but he had a small ego and was genuinely interested in helping me) and learned that these springs are definitely the ticket. First, Autofab won't sell you an off-the-shelf spring. He told me "Call me back when you get a weight at all (each of) four corners. Only then will I be able to sell you the correctly-rated spring."

Unlike Tri-City Competition (who manufactures front-bias, heavy duty Super Stock springs), AutoFab doesn't shy away from the fact that their springs still need/benefit from traction aid devices such as Cal-Tracs or slapper bars.

I seem to recall that the springs weighed about 9 lbs. each and cost around $450/pr.

Scott

------------------

Old 02-27-2000, 11:24 PM

Very informative Scott, Thanks bud..

Hey Tom how do you like the setup? Did you see any changes? Hows the ride?