Suspension TECH Including Brakes, Wheels and tires

Old 04-02-2000, 04:38 PM

'68 LM---been wrestling with installing a new set of front springs for 2 hours, and couldn't get 'em in, with either the balljoint or control arm bolts loose. Then I turn the spring upside down (neither end is tapered), and they went right in.
So, is it that important to have these springs "right side up" or what could I expect if I left them this way? Or, what am I missing here?
Thanks, A.A.

Old 04-02-2000, 04:38 PM

'68 LM---been wrestling with installing a new set of front springs for 2 hours, and couldn't get 'em in, with either the balljoint or control arm bolts loose. Then I turn the spring upside down (neither end is tapered), and they went right in.
So, is it that important to have these springs "right side up" or what could I expect if I left them this way? Or, what am I missing here?
Thanks, A.A.

Old 04-04-2000, 02:06 PM

Double-A, Springs don't necessarily just fit. They often need to be compressed by spring compressors. High-performance springs will be shorter than stock and will fit in without compressing, but it is no surprise that yours didn't just fit in without compression. As far as putting them in upside down...The factory service manual states the exact position on the control arm(s) that the end of the spring should sit. There is a taper to the pocket that will support a few inches of the coil. If you don't put the end of the coil in the right place there could be trouble.
Now just because you put the spring in upside down doesn't mean that the coil can't be positioned in the right location, I haven't tried it that way, I just wanted to make sure you were aware of the proper positioning of the end of the coil on the control arms.

J.Y.