Suspension TECH Including Brakes, Wheels and tires

Old 02-08-2000, 06:10 PM

What's the best "bolt-right-up" replacement for a '68 A-body steering gearbox? I've heard Monte Carlo SS's are good, but you have to make some modifications. Is there a good straight "bolt in and go" choice? Seems like I heard '94-'96 Impala SS's might work...

Old 02-08-2000, 06:10 PM

What's the best "bolt-right-up" replacement for a '68 A-body steering gearbox? I've heard Monte Carlo SS's are good, but you have to make some modifications. Is there a good straight "bolt in and go" choice? Seems like I heard '94-'96 Impala SS's might work...

Old 02-12-2000, 12:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Well, There are a couple of options...
The "bolt right up" box would be the 69-72 quick ratio A body box. The WS-6 (or other 70's F Body) box will also fit, but the stops are different. The G body Hi Po box out of the mid 80's "muscle"cars will work great, but you need to do a couple of things:
1) The hose fittings are metric-either change your hoses/have hybrids made/or install Lee Power Steering's Adapters.
2) You'll need to change your rag (coupling) joint- contact Lee's/AGR steering. Both of there adresses are available in the new Popular Hot Rodding.

Correction- it's Car Craft and AGR's address is www.agrsteering.com

------------------
John

[This message has been edited by JC455 (edited 02-13-2000).]

Old 02-12-2000, 12:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Chip at http://www.powersteering.com can custom make a steering box in any desired ratio. I had him rebuild my 1976 T/A's box to 12:1 steering ratio. You can send your original box out and have the internals completely rebuilt for $200. No other modifications are necessary. One note about replacing steering boxes from one body style to another (like later Monte Carlo SS to 68-72 A body), sometimes the internal stops are not the same. Also, as JC455 noted, the hoses and steering coupler must be changed or modified. Honestly, the best and easiest way for me was to call Chip. Take original out and put original back in. It doesn't get any easier. Hope this helps some, Rocky

Old 02-13-2000, 10:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Rocky,
THANKS for the info(even though I didn't start this thread), I'm always looking for new info! I'm gonna try these guys and see. Did you do anything to upgrade your pumps flow/output?
Thanks-

------------------
John

Old 02-13-2000, 11:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Not yet. I have the "light touch" valving. I guess its better said its light effort. Make sure you ask about it. It makes the front of the car feel real light. I have a Monte SS box in my 83 Grand Prix. It has the 12.7:1 high effort steering. I really, really like the lighter effort. Its your call, but the lighter effort makes it a pleasure to drive around town and in the turns. Good luck and ask away