Old 04-15-2020, 07:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky Rotella View Post
Just an FYI on this. Having seen the BFG Radial T/A appear in many Coker ads, I, too, assumed that Coker owned and/or had assumed production of that tire line.

While working on the Firestone Wide Oval Radial story I linked above, I specifically asked Coker about its relationship with the Radial T/A tire. I learned that Coker is nothing more than a BFG distributor and it chose to offer the Radial T/A because it's so popular with Coker's target customer base. It also made sense for Coker because it also owns Wheel Vintiques and many wheel customers use modern Radial T/As as opposed to Coker reproductions.
I wish Coker would reproduce the "old" font and tread Radial T/A from the 70's. I really love that lettering...I have three vintage sets but driving on them regularly is out of the question due to age. This isn't my car just a vintage pic...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	old73SD.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	56.9 KB
ID:	537437  

Old 04-15-2020, 07:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

'70s font, on a Vette
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-04-15 at 7.15.58 PM.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	69.0 KB
ID:	537443  

Old 04-15-2020, 07:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

From the TIREBIRD brochure...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_3720.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	38.0 KB
ID:	537444  

Old 04-15-2020, 08:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My cure for the tan BFG non white lettered tires is I'll never buy em again. if you produce a tire aimed at the collector car crowd you better make the tire right.

I to, tried all manner of ways to get them white. including lacquer thinner and felt silly having to try it. Wesley's bleach white is excellent and should be all that's needed.

signed: cooper cobras from here on out.

Old 04-15-2020, 08:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I must be lucky. 4 cars that have BFG's on them and wesley's cleans them all

Old 04-15-2020, 09:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keats View Post
Will Cokers' Firestone Wide Oval Letters stay white with proper cleaning or will the letters also turn tan like the TA Radials?
i havent seen any other brand of tire RWL that does what the recent 255/60/15 bfgs do, & i never had any older bfg do that over 25+ years. its a recent thing & is definitely size & batch related. & wesleys does not work, it will help but they will be tan again in a very short time. bfg explained to me its a problem or change they have in the mold release agent as well as the UV protectant chemical they use. aside from the tan letters the whole sidewall of the tire will get a brownish residue after awhile.

Old 04-15-2020, 09:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Rotella View Post
I finally called BFG/Michelin customer service and I was told that some of their Radial T/A's had the yellowing problem and there was really nothing they could do about it.
if you still have the tires & within the age limit or care to mess with it again, i suggest calling back & getting a different rep or ask for a supervisor/manager, or submit an email at their website, thats how i started mine & they give a claim number, one was handled online the other time i called. both times they were very helpful & didnt really try to fight the replacement, they have you go to a local authorized dealer & its handled from there, once you show them the white letters they should approve the replacement... they even covered mount & balance! they might pro rate, they did check the tread depth each time but mine were still basically new so was a full replacement.
m happy with their warranty service but still not totally happy with the letters.

Old 04-16-2020, 10:54 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 389 View Post
I was always under the impression the Mickey Thompson tire is a Cooper Cobra and a Master Craft Avenger with different lettering. Yes? No?
Here are my new MT's (255R60-15's) on my Formula. The white letters stay white and I also have the dreaded Brown letter TA's and replaced them with the MT's.

Dennis
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20190813_165603.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	58.8 KB
ID:	537499   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190813_165609.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	47.2 KB
ID:	537500   Click image for larger version

Name:	9705.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	76.0 KB
ID:	537501   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190825_151442.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	63.5 KB
ID:	537502   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190825_105830.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	59.6 KB
ID:	537503  

Old 04-17-2020, 11:42 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78w72 View Post
if you still have the tires & within the age limit or care to mess with it again, i suggest calling back & getting a different rep or ask for a supervisor/manager, or submit an email at their website, thats how i started mine & they give a claim number, one was handled online the other time i called. both times they were very helpful & didnt really try to fight the replacement, they have you go to a local authorized dealer & its handled from there, once you show them the white letters they should approve the replacement... they even covered mount & balance! they might pro rate, they did check the tread depth each time but mine were still basically new so was a full replacement.
m happy with their warranty service but still not totally happy with the letters.
Thanks for your suggestion, but I sold the Radial T/A's a couple of years ago. I began using the Radial T/A's back in the late 80's and I never really had any problems with the white letters at that time. The yellowing problem started for me with the tires purchased around 2010.

The Following User Says Thank You to Jim Rotella For This Useful Post:
Old 04-17-2020, 12:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Rotella View Post
Thanks for your suggestion, but I sold the Radial T/A's a couple of years ago. I began using the Radial T/A's back in the late 80's and I never really had any problems with the white letters at that time. The yellowing problem started for me with the tires purchased around 2010.
ok just checking.

i too have owned many sets of bfg's from late 80s all the way through the 90's & early 2000's with nice bright letters. my first issue was in ~2013 & lived with them for a few years until i started seeing others at local car shows worse than mine that i cleaned the crap out of. finally decided to call discount tire direct who i bought them from & they replaced them but had same issues so i contacted bfg for 2 more sets until last year when the current ones i have are better but still not like they should be. going with M/T from now on.