Suspension TECH Including Brakes, Wheels and tires

Old 12-28-1999, 08:37 PM

I'm restoring '68 firebird w/front drums. I want to change them to disk. Does anyone know of step by step literature? I've got a guy in Washington with everything I need.
(I think) But how do I know if I'm doing it right? Should I even do this? I'm rebuilding the original 400 motor and 400th-trans to "almost" stock. Im going to try and get about 350-375hp out of the rebuild.

Old 12-28-1999, 08:37 PM

I'm restoring '68 firebird w/front drums. I want to change them to disk. Does anyone know of step by step literature? I've got a guy in Washington with everything I need.
(I think) But how do I know if I'm doing it right? Should I even do this? I'm rebuilding the original 400 motor and 400th-trans to "almost" stock. Im going to try and get about 350-375hp out of the rebuild.

Old 12-29-1999, 11:03 PM

I don't know of a step by step literature other than a Chiltons Manual and simply follow the directions for replacing the disk brake parts instead of the drum brake parts. The parts you need are the spindles with caliper brackets, rotors, calipers, brake fluid proportioning valve from the disk brake donor vehicle, master cylinder and if he has it the power brake booster. If you email me and tell me what the parts are from I can tell you if they will work. I am doing the same thing to my '67 firebird that I am putting a 400 in. Disk brakes are always better than drum brakes and should always be chosen except when doing a number matching restoration.

Old 12-30-1999, 10:59 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm not sure what happened, I posted a response yesterday and it didn't show up!!??
Basically, the above post covers it. The disc swap is one of the best upgrades you can make, if you drive your car on a regular basis. I did this to my '68 455/4 spd 'bird- man, what a difference. If you don't want/can't get a power booster, you can use the master cylinder from a '69 manual disc Camaro.
The best way to do this conversion is to use the 69-up single piston/1 piece rotor setup.
These are available from:
69-74 X body- Nova,Ventura,etc.
69 F body- Firebird/Camaro
69-71(72??) Grand Prix/Monte Carlo
If you have more questions, or require more info on the conversion, please post a response or e mail me -JC455@prodigy.net
Later-

------------------
John

Old 01-04-2000, 07:52 PM

Thanks to all the guys here, I've got great info and help. Rick T. got me a great article - You can find it al the site below. Step by step instructions. It's not F-Body but it's really close. Thanks a million everyone!
http://www.mich.com/~crescend/drm2dsc/

Old 03-28-2000, 10:41 PM
Administrator

This topic has come up in several different tech boards and good answers can be found by doing a "search". This is probably the best topic and contains an excellent "how to" article for do-it-yourselfers.