THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 05-09-2024, 07:17 PM
Senior Chief

Default Air compressor *Not* required?

Do you think that the current offerings in battery powered tools are making an impact on air tools?

I hate doing a review on a tool I acquired just days or weeks ago. Without putting it through its’ paces and possibly dropping it 10 times (in one day alone) it’s hard to recommend something. I’ve been using more and more Milwaukee M12 “auto body type” tools at home for a while now. I have my whatever horsepower 60gal 2-stage air compressor here but sometimes during the day or late at night I don’t want that thing kicking on and cycling.

The power from these 12v tools is surprising and the current battery technology has created batteries that can run these tools for an impressive amount of time instead of just a few minutes like previous generations of battery powered tools. The features that are on them are also unique to battery vs air power in some instances and have grown on me.

The Bandfile for instance has 2 speeds and more importantly reverse. The reverse option is something I always would have loved on my Dynafiles. The 2 speeds is nice because sometimes you’re just not in a position to feather the trigger. I opted for the 3/8x13” option because I didn’t happen to have that option with my Dynafiles already (1/2”,3/4” currently). It does compare rather closely to the air powered versions in terms of power. It is hard to stall it out even when running aggressive grits like 40 or 60.

The cutoff is unique with reverse which is hardly standard on air cutoff tools. I have a reversible air one where the wheel runs perpendicular to the grip but I don’t know if they offer one parallel to the grip like these. Again the 2 speed thing is nice.

The nibbler is honestly a work of art. Power settings that include auto, where you can let it ramp itself up/down depending on load to save battery power. A chip collection bag that is damn near 100% at catching every single chip can’t go without mention either. The ability to take a cordless tool across the shop, out to the bed of your truck, or out in your shed to cut off a small piece of sheet metal without cords, chips or the need for a table to work on has changed how I view things now. How many times have you had full sheets of sheet metal stored in your garage and find it near impossible to set up a 5’x10’ table to cut off a 1’x1’ piece? On top of that it’s somehow quiet.

Anyways, these are just a few of the tools I’m feeling like I don’t want to live without, even with their air powered counterparts. I’m thinking if you live in a place where a large compressor isn’t an option or frequently see yourself needing to do repairs offsite at a friends house, maybe the quality of these tools has finally reached the point where you’re not sacrificing much if anything vs air power. The capability of these battery powered tools is feeling like it is reaching new levels. Admittedly, running a sander for hours would be a battery changing and charging hassle for sure.

How much could one paint with a rental nitrogen tank if the occasion rarely arises? Lol
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2332.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	84.2 KB
ID:	633485  

Old 05-09-2024, 07:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

i have to say myself i love my battery tools. i use them at work so the home transition was easy. i have alot of air powered tools but i keep going to the battery powered ones for convenience. and yes i like the variable trigger pull speeds as well. plus i dont have any air lines stopping my creeper from moving...

Old 05-09-2024, 07:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

For raw power and torque, I go to my battery powered 1/2" drive impact every time now. When I had a customer with multiple stripped/cross threaded wheel studs, the battery powered impact made quick work of a terrible job. I simply put it in forward and power level 3 and it snapped off the 9 1/2" wheel studs in 3 to 5 seconds each. With 1100 ft. lbs. on tap, they never stood a chance. My Snap On 1/2" drive air powered impact would have been beating on those studs for an hour!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mgarblik For This Useful Post:
Old 05-10-2024, 01:03 AM
formerly 'Pontiac Jack'

Thanks for the update on the nibbler. Sounds really tempting.

Old 05-10-2024, 05:18 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I like mine also the 1/2" drive impact. I have Stihl gas powered chain,weed,broom,tiller, khombi system.Then I tried Ryobi battery lawn garden tools. Batteries didnt seem to want to charge after getting to low. Soo I bought the Milwaukee battery 18 volt weed, broom,chain saw tool. It has power and batteries recharge easily and I'm using my 18v tool batteries for almost endless time in yard. Balance on weed wacker is good,one hand at times.

Old 05-10-2024, 06:42 AM
Ultimate Warrior

In recent years I've outfitted my arsenal of tools with battery powered stuff. Almost all of it is Dewalt, 18 and 20V. The 18 volt batteries aren't that great so I have adapters for the 20V.

My favorite battery powered tools are the 1/2 impacts (the 20v models). I have one early 18 volt and it's big, bulky and not nearly the power of the 20V's. I keep one in each vehicle in their tool bag with the most common size impact sockets. Right beside them is a small bottle jack for quick tire changes without having to dig out all that complicated and hard to get to factory stuff. Boy is it NICE to be able to change tires, rotate tires etc without dragging out an air hose!

The small impacts are absolutely AMAZING. I can drive 6" long construction screws and they don't even grumble. I've built a couple of structures and a couple remodeling jobs and hardly use the nail guns and compressor any more. I just buy multiple length big boxes of outdoor coated construction screws. The best part about using them vs nails is that if/when you screw up you can take it back apart without a BFH.

I also like my sawsall, and use the power drills almost every day in the shop. Some items they sell are good but not great. The circular saw for example is really handy, but it eats batteries quickly as that sort of work demands a butt-load of power. It's still good enough to make at least a dozen full cuts on an 8' sheet of OSB before it needs another battery.

Sold by themselves the 20V lithium ion batteries are super expensive. The best way to get them and a charger is to wait for a tool to go on clearance, and buy it with two batteries and a charger even if you really don't need the tool. I a half dozen drills and impacts NIB in the parts room just to get an arsenal of batteries. Two tools, two batteries and a charger for $99 is a LOT better than one battery for nearly $100.......IMHO.

As far as brands, Dewalt has been flawless for me so I stick with them. My brother is 100 percent Milwaukee. Neither of us have any problems with any of it. I have yet to wear out my first small impact and it's a pretty old 18v unit. I'll bet I've driven 10,000 construction screws with it and it never grumbled once even though it looks like you hooked a chain to it and dragged it behind the truck a couple of miles!.......

73 Ventura, SOLD 455, 3740lbs, 11.30's at 120mph, 1977 Pontiac Q-jet, HO intake, HEI, 10" converter, 3.42 gears, DOT's, 7.20's at 96mph and still WAY under the roll bar rule. Best ET to date 7.18 at 97MPH (1/8th mile),

Last edited by Cliff R; 05-10-2024 at 06:50 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Cliff R For This Useful Post:
Old 05-10-2024, 07:02 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I am a contractor by trade and we use battery impact screw guns and drills on an hourly basis. I have a Makita that is my go to. Have had it for many years now and love it. My son uses bosch and they are great too. I also have a slew of Milwaukee stuff. The little right angle die grinder in the op's pic is my go to in the shop. If I could only have one battery tool that would be it. I havent ventured into many other battery tools as I figure on the job we still need electric to plug in the chargers so I may as well plug in the cord and power the saws. Then again I have been doing this crap for over 40 yrs and hard to change ways. Working on car stuff I have always used my 'carpenter/shop' tools. I sand with an electric sander, etc. About the only thing I use my Air compressor for is tires, a blow gun and painting.

Old 05-10-2024, 08:02 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Hmmm yea. Only got an 18V handdrill, and two batteries (1 was free from a neighbor who upgraded).

Is nice to run screws remote from an AC plug.
Just don't see the need for speed to have any other battery tool.

Old 05-10-2024, 09:41 AM
Ultimate Warrior

In the past couple of years I've invested in the Flex brand of tools and long life high capacity 24 volt batteries. I have a light, 2 saws, drill, driver and a 1/2" impact rated at 1150 lbs. Probably more than my sockets want.

Old 05-10-2024, 09:48 AM
Ultimate Warrior

It's not the batteries that was a game changer completely.
It was Brush less motors.
I'm still using mostly air tools except for these.
Great value.
https://www.amazon.com/ACDelco-Cordl.../dp/B0857DJGBV
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07L6RWHGD...mc_s_m_5_i_atc

Old 05-10-2024, 10:22 AM

I find myself only busting out the air tools for the stubborn bolts that the battery can't handle and grinders, blast cabinet and of course filling tires.

Old 05-10-2024, 11:08 AM
Senior Chief

I have found myself going towards the light too......... and using the battery impacts more and more and don't miss the Air compressor kicking on every time I use something for extended times. I enjoy the quiet

1971 Grand Prix 462ci SD Performance 6x heads
1962 Catalina 389
1968 Firebird 400-455 I haven't decided

"If we ever forget that we're one nation under GOD, then we will be a nation gone under." - Ronald Reagan
Old 05-10-2024, 02:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Over the last 2 years I've transitioned to a multitude of DeWalt 20v tools (and some 60 volt). The tools themselves have been excellent....have had a few warranty failures with the 20/60 flex volt batteries. Most of my air tools just sit these days although I will break out the paint sprayers a little later this year.

Old 05-10-2024, 02:40 PM
Senior Chief

Interesting to hear I’m not alone. Many great points brought up. The brushless aspect is a big one. Batteries can only attribute so much. The advancements with using the power more efficiently go a long ways. Also agree that some tools just inherently always seem mediocre on battery power. I too have never had a decent battery powered circular saw.

I first got into the Makita 18v stuff years ago. I’ve had good luck. I even swapped our gas string trimmer out for battery power after it always being a struggle to start for my wife. It’s grown on me honestly. Minimal noise and not smelling like exhaust.

I’m glad to hear all brands are solid. My work truck is stocked with Milwaukee by the company. It takes a beating and never really seems to fail. My Dad has 20V Dewalt and I can’t believe the impact driver torque from such a small size. Solid tools.

For this 12v stuff I’m also hooked on the stubby impact gun (I can usually spin most lug nuts off with it) and the Rover Service and Repair light. I can’t live without that thing now.

Old 05-10-2024, 02:43 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Electric is definitely the way to go for shop and yard tools.

https://youtube.com/shorts/gG15nb4FWeo?feature=share
Old 05-10-2024, 03:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Cordless tools

I have Ryobi battery tools. I went with the 40V version for the chain saw, weed wacker and leaf blower after watching a couple utube vids comparing the 18V with the 40V versions. The chain saw easily cut rail road ties! It's a beast. I also bought the 18V 4" grinder, it's ok but even with a 6AH battery attached to it I prefer my corded Dewalt. The impact driver and saws-all are awesome but the drill could be better as the keyless chuck is a PITA coming loose all the time. I also have the Snap-on 3/8" cordless ratchet and impact gun and they are awesome, got them in a work trade because no way would I pay
full price for these.

“Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan Press On! has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.”
― Calvin Coolidge
Old Yesterday, 08:31 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I don't really have a need for things like an impact wrench very often but I decided to get a Milwaukee M12 3/8" drive a few months ago for when I change my mower blades. I've just been using a breaker bar and it's doable, but it's a PITA. So I got the M12 out today to do the job and the bolts wouldn't budge. The last time the blades were changed, it was done by my Kubota dealer. I don't know what they used to tighten them but they were really tight. After the M12 I tried a 16" breaker bar. nothing. Then I put a 19" cheater bar on the breaker bar and I was pulling so hard I thought the breaker bar was about to snap. So I thought about heating them up but I wasn't sure if there are any seals or such in the spindles that could be damaged. So off I go to NAPA and I get a M18 1/2" drive. That bad boy had those bolts out in no time. I thought I would have to charge the battery first but it had at least some charge from the factory so I figured I'd give it a try and it worked great. That thing is bada--.

https://youtube.com/shorts/gG15nb4FWeo?feature=share
Old Yesterday, 10:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have a Bosch 18V impact and drill that I bought over a decade ago. I can still get the batteries; I wouldn’t give up either of these. They make yard and home maintenance chores so much easier and quicker.

Dr. Thomas Sowell
Old Today, 07:50 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Wrenching is strictly part of the hobby, and my tools don't make me money, however I took all my air tools out of the tool cabinet and put them in a couple of totes because I feel bad getting rid of them. I'm happy that I don't have to turn on my compressor which sees most of its work inflating tires. It is loud! I think I will purchase the battery powered air inflator though i have one that plugs into a lighter when we go on classic car tours. Its completely overshadowed by these new battery powered units.
Here I am embracing battery powered tools, but still turning my nose up at battery powered vehicles. :-)

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Andre For This Useful Post:
Old Today, 11:11 AM
Ultimate Warrior

these are definitely something I didn't see coming.

I wonder though how many people are going to suffer hearing loss from them;
some of them are REALLY noisy!
(and I cannot recall ever seeing anyone using these noisy 18v(?) tools wearing any kind of hearing protection.)

Quite likely one of few '70 Muncie three speed Formula 400's left.

1991 Grand Am: 14.4 @ 93.7mph (DA corrected) (retired DD, stock appearing)
2009 Cobalt SS: 13.9 @ 103mph (current DD; makes something north of 300hp & 350ft/lbs)