Old 05-08-2020, 03:23 PM

Default 64 GTO Frame Swap interchange question

I have a 64 GTO and I need to swap the frame(it's a northeast car and the salt took to much of a toll) So my question is I found a 67 Tempest manual frame, will it directly swap? My car is an original 4 speed car and everything I can find the only difference in the 67's are the crossmember for the TH400. There is a 66 in the guys salvage yard but he's not sure he wants part with it and a 65 that the frame rests in the dirt and the body is severely rotted so kind of telling of what the frame my look like. The 65 is an auto car and the 66 is a manual car.

Old 05-11-2020, 10:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Generally they interchange with the auto trans exception you noted.

However, IIRC, the rear spring pockets were revised for '67. If you use a '67 frame, you might need to use '67 specific rear springs.

Might want to search this forum, it has been covered in the past.

There were various fabrication changes made and p/n changes along the way.

Of course the boxed HD/convertible frames differed from the coupe frame. That would also impact the trans crossmember. But as long as you are sticking to same body style frame you should be good.

Old 05-11-2020, 11:53 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

How about these. Good price.
https://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/ptd...112885013.html

Old 05-12-2020, 01:04 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceaceca View Post
Fuel lines down the right side, and what looks like a Chevy 10 bolt?
I'm thinking ElCamino, or Chevelle wagon. And those air shocks?
Another area to carefully examine.

Old 05-12-2020, 08:57 AM
Boost Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMStaples406 View Post
I have a 64 GTO and I need to swap the frame(it's a northeast car and the salt took to much of a toll) So my question is I found a 67 Tempest manual frame, will it directly swap? My car is an original 4 speed car and everything I can find the only difference in the 67's are the crossmember for the TH400. There is a 66 in the guys salvage yard but he's not sure he wants part with it and a 65 that the frame rests in the dirt and the body is severely rotted so kind of telling of what the frame my look like. The 65 is an auto car and the 66 is a manual car.
I have bought 2 "extra frames for my 64 GTO in my life:

1st one was a 1965 frame from California (rolling chassis) and the frame was in very good shape. No rust anywhere. It was a hardtop frame and would have needed the convertible frame mods (parts not offered then) to make it work on my 64 GTO Convertible.

The cars original frame was a 1964 convertible frame but had some rust from being driven in Michigan awhile in college. Even then it looked 10 times better than the frame (chevelle?) in the post above.

The frame under the car presently is a 1966 Convertible frame from Georgia that was rust free, but apparently the frame was great but the body was swapped to a different frame for some reason. It may have come California but was never used as a parts frame.

So as Mr John V. has posted the 1964 to 1966 frames are identical when used with any trans and a roof body and the convertible frames (heavy duty frame, different name same frame, is the same for use under hardtops and coupes) for those years.

I modded my frame in the trans cross-member area (more like a 1967 Turbo 400 frame) because the Doug Nash 5 speed trans mount site farther back on the frame. I can put any trans in my vehicle now.

It you are patient and willing to pay some money TODAY a very good frame could be had for $2,000 to 3,000 plus shipping on a semi truck. I paid $1,000 delivered to my house. This was a BARE FRAME. Not a roller.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 05-12-2020, 11:14 AM
Ultimate Warrior

This place may be a bit pricey, but they have plenty in stock.
http://garys-classics.net/

Old 05-12-2020, 11:24 AM
Ultimate Warrior

^

Considering they are already media blasted and powdercoated - the price doesn't seem too bad.

Old 05-12-2020, 03:53 PM
Boost Engineer

Agree, a very fair price in today's timeframe.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.