Old 03-01-2020, 05:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default need photo of correct space saver tire 1981

anyone have a photo for the space saver tire for a 1981 turbo

Old 03-06-2020, 02:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have the original space saver tire from my 81 T/A, it was a 305SBC car but assuming it's the same I'll gladly take some pics for you.

1980 Formula 350 Pontiac back burner project
1972 LeMans 350 Pontiac
Old 03-06-2020, 03:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

It’s in your space saver lit. ( glove box lit)

Just Say No To 8” Flakes

F ire B irds

🇮🇱
Old 03-07-2020, 08:16 AM
Suspended

Since you have that why not post it.

Old 03-07-2020, 11:09 AM
Ultimate Warrior

In the early 80's, every original '81 Turbo T/A & Turbo Formula I performed performance mods on had what many refer to as a "donut spare". Most of these 81's were original owner cars. These 81's all had the thin, preinflated "mini spare", NOT the previous style smaller diameter inflatable mini spare that came in the two '80 Turbo T/A's my Dad & I ordered, as well as our '79's. Actually the blow up style mini spare first became an option in the late '60's.

Really never was into the appearance of the pre-inflated '81 & later style donut spares. For projects & for resale, i always picked up really nice condition inflatable style mini spares for F-body's & early 70's Mopar E-bodys whenever I could find them. Just to have to throw on partscars & rollers, through the early 90's, had a local whls source where i picked up for a few bucks apiece multiple dozens of the dual bolt pattern version donut spare used on many later 80's GM cars. These had bolt patterns for both 4 3/4 bolt pattern & 5 on 5 vehicles, & came in very handy.

Last edited by 'ol Pinion head; 03-07-2020 at 11:16 AM.
Old 03-07-2020, 11:35 AM
Ultimate Warrior

In the early 80's, every original '81 Turbo T/A & Turbo Formula I performed performance mods on had what many refer to as a donut spare. Most of these were original owner cars. This is the thin, preinflated "mini spare" NOT the previous style smaller diameter inflatable mini spare used in the two '80 Turbo's my Dad & I ordered, as well as our '79's. Actually the blow up style mini spare first became an option in the late '60's

Really never was into the appearance of the preinflated style donut spares. Instead picked up really nice condition inflatable style mini spares for F-body's & early 70's Mopar E-bodys whenever I could find them. Just to have to throw on partscars & rollers, through the early 90's, had a local whls source where i picked up for a few bucks a piece over the years multiple dozens of the dual bolt pattern version donut spare used on many later 80's GM cars. These had bolt patterns for both 4 3/4 bolt pattern & 5 on 5 vehicles & came in very handy.

Old 03-07-2020, 12:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aus78Formula View Post
Since you have that why not post it.
I don’t have a 81. . If he has the glovebox lit, the brochure shows it. Also should be pics in the GM service manual.
I actually have that brochure for sale, it’s over in my st unit. If your interested, I can grab it.

Just Say No To 8” Flakes

F ire B irds

🇮🇱
Old 03-07-2020, 02:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by burd View Post
I don’t have a 81. . If he has the glovebox lit, the brochure shows it. Also should be pics in the GM service manual.
I actually have that brochure for sale, it’s over in my st unit. If your interested, I can grab it.
The problem with using illustrations from glovebox Owners manual, Service manuals, sales literature, etc, is they were typically printed many months before the actual vehicles were introduced. Can list many many examples where the illustration or stock photo in a sales brochure or Service Manual is not how the vehicle was actually built.

Examples on '80's... my '80 Turbo SE, was one of the very first built, & the very first turbo 301 car to arrive in Pontiac Zone 20. Know this as my Dad tracked our car's build & shipment on GMAC's prehistoric computers... nearly every weekday he checked. Then a few zone reps, one which was one of Dads longtime friends, ended up driving down from OKC wanting to road test my '80 before it left the dealer. I didn't want them flogging it hard right off the bat, so instead they waited several days & test drove my Dad's car on Oct 23... right after dealer prep. In the Summer of '79, we ordered my '80 Turbo with a digital elapsed boost Guage/Clock, option UR4. This option was rescinded, not offered, have early zone paperwork to that end. All early builds then received the cast block off plate. The UR4 option was then retooled & brought out as the 3 boost light "Dog & Pony show" boost guage that began being being installed on the earliest built '80 Pacecars (late Nov '79) & other late Nov on produced Turbo cars. Have always been disgusted with that feature.

Bone stock on my '80 SE, as well as my Dad's FieroBronze '80, both of these very early '80's had a red anodized alum clamp on disc "limiter" which prevented the wastegate from limiting boost. Have never seen an "official" pic of one of those in Pontiac literature but that is how the earliest '80 Turbo cars were built. All early '80 Turbo cars also came with the factory adjustable wastegate, something that IS shown in the '80 Pontiac Service Supplement. Later built '80 & 81 Turbo cars, the majority of '80 production, had a fixed length rod wastegate, no hex shape adjustment barrel. The early '80 adj wastegate then became the "Service" wastegate for '80 Turbo 301's & export '81 Turbo cars. Details, just on '80 & 81 Turbo cars, could go on & on, as I worked on well over a dozen & a half over the next 5 years.

Trunk area; what spares were factory installed, know very well, as in the early 80's, also installed quite a Kenwood 801 & 901 Amps on the trunk bulkhead of '80 & 81 Turbo cars. My own '80 gained a Torque-Starter Gel type battery on the LH trunk ledge & a 20lb NOS bottle cocked slightly at an angle on the passenger side trunk ledge. Afterwards, space was even more at a premium, though could still store the car's covered t-tops fore & aft with the thinner portions lapped over the original collapsible mini spare.

Old 03-07-2020, 04:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

You gotta go by something. Unless your the OG owner, it’s pointless to look at one if you don’t know the history.

Just Say No To 8” Flakes

F ire B irds

🇮🇱
Old 03-07-2020, 04:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'ol Pinion head View Post
In the early 80's, every original '81 Turbo T/A & Turbo Formula I performed performance mods on had what many refer to as a donut spare. Most of these were original owner cars. This is the thin, preinflated "mini spare" NOT the previous style smaller diameter inflatable mini spare used in the two '80 Turbo's my Dad & I ordered, as well as our '79's. Actually the blow up style mini spare first became an option in the late '60's

Really never was into the appearance of the preinflated style donut spares. Instead picked up really nice condition inflatable style mini spares for F-body's & early 70's Mopar E-bodys whenever I could find them. Just to have to throw on partscars & rollers, through the early 90's, had a local whls source where i picked up for a few bucks a piece over the years multiple dozens of the dual bolt pattern version donut spare used on many later 80's GM cars. These had bolt patterns for both 4 3/4 bolt pattern & 5 on 5 vehicles & came in very handy.
my car has the flat blow up style . i am pretty sure it is the original spare

Old 03-07-2020, 05:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Following is the style of spare used in '81 Firebirds. Its the hard pre-inflated style tire, single bolt pattern. The eBay seller is totally wrong on the years this style was used, its eBay, what else is new?

This compact spare may not be correct in original size, but is not the later style with multiple round holes around the steel wheel. It is definitely not the air up, tire moves to the side, then recenters type mini spare used in earlier 2nd Gens.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/70-92-CAMAR...p2047675.l2557

Last edited by 'ol Pinion head; 03-07-2020 at 05:31 PM.
Old 03-07-2020, 05:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Earlier style space saver tire, have the original in my original owner '80, as well as the original in my '79 W72 car. The space saver in my '72 T/A is also this style, though its tire is mfg by BFG.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/70-81-CAMAR...p2047675.l2557

Old 03-07-2020, 09:54 PM
Senior Chief

Old 03-07-2020, 09:57 PM
Senior Chief

Have a few of these, this was the only one I have in my phone,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 03-07-2020, 10:31 PM
Suspended

Is that a 15" spare? The ebay link version is a standard 14" and won't clear rear disc brakes setup.

Old 03-08-2020, 09:00 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Looks correct Teri. Exactly what’s on the glove box brochure.

Just Say No To 8” Flakes

F ire B irds

🇮🇱
Old 03-08-2020, 09:32 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'ol Pinion head View Post
Earlier style space saver tire, have the original in my original owner '80, as well as the original in my '79 W72 car. The space saver in my '72 T/A is also this style, though its tire is mfg by BFG.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/70-81-CAMAR...p2047675.l2557
this is what i have in my 81 turbo and it is original to the car

Old 03-08-2020, 01:50 PM
Senior Chief

Yes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 03-09-2020, 09:13 AM
Ultimate Warrior

On a related side note, on my original order form (copied from PHS) it states that 'no spare tire will be with the vehicle, when they become available one will be shipped'. 77 trans am.

Old 03-09-2020, 09:39 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAKerry View Post
On a related side note, on my original order form (copied from PHS) it states that 'no spare tire will be with the vehicle, when they become available one will be shipped'. 77 trans am.
I believe that only applied to full size spares. I believe there was a shortage because of a strike at several tire makers. To keep car producton going some new cars were delivered without a spare tire. You did get the wheel, just no tire on it. Later when tire supplies got caught up dealers would give you your spare.