Suspension TECH Including Brakes, Wheels and tires

Old 04-04-2020, 03:00 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default 67 Tempest, C5 Brakes, fitting some wheels- Does this sound right?

Suspension is stock. (for now - this is a project that has spanned years. Sadly, life gets in the way with work and moving this car has yet to be finished)

Anyway, we purchased some C5 brakes a few years back and sourced the brackets and SS brake lines from Kore 3.

I am looking at some 18 rims that will clear the C5's and now it's just about getting the proper size rim. I purchased a wheel sizing tool and it gives me 5.25" of Back space with an extra 1.25" of space left to the frame.

I am looking at an 18 x 8.5" with 5.10" BS for the front and 18 x 9.5" with 5.30" BS or 5.750" BS or the rear.

I've seen reports of 245 on the front - not sure if that is doable or not. Probably stick with 225 or 235. And a max of 275 on the rear.

Does this sound right? Want to make sure I've not missed something before I place an order.

Old 04-04-2020, 04:01 PM

Rather than do a lot of typing I’ll share this link to my build thread where I fit 18x9” wheels all around on my ‘64 Tempest using C6 Z06 brakes.

The basic chassis is the same from ‘64-‘67 with the ‘66-‘67 car bodies likely having a little more room in the rear wheel wells. My car doesn’t have stock suspension up front so keep that in mind when judging the fitment of the front wheels.

I can say that you’re going to need the deeper 5.75” backspacing in the rear at the very least and likely even more. Measure a lot before making any decisions.

https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com...d.php?t=576137

Old 04-04-2020, 07:56 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I've got 17x8.5's with 255/45R17 all the way around on my '66 GTO.
C5 front brakes on B-body spindles and 4th gen F-body rears on a 12-bolt ('98+ 4th gen F-bodies use the same caliper as C5 rear, and E brake is easier to integrate on A-bodies). Clearance is fine front and rear. Forgot what the backspacing is though.

Old 04-05-2020, 11:32 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

B-Man: Thanks for the link. I recall I had started reading that thread a while back- notice no more posts after 2016. Was this car finished?

Also, was there a specific part number for the Lokar E-Brake part you used? I was just looking at the C5 parking brake parts I have and the lever is "L" shaped where the original parking brake line has the traditional "nut at end of wire" that would slip into a groove. I guess I need to sort that as well.

Hgerhardt: sweet ride. I like the look. Interesting that 255 fits up front. If you find out the back space, please post up.

Thanks!

Old 04-06-2020, 01:47 PM

Default Parking Brake cables

Boostmaster,
I put the Kore 3 C6 Z51 brake set up on my '67 as well on a Currie 9 inch. Is it still in build with body off chassis so I'm interested in what you find in wheels. I got my cables from Vic at control cables http://www.controlcables.com/parking-brake-cables-2/

He was great and told me to take some pictures and measurements. Cost about $30 each.

Hope this helps.

Old 04-06-2020, 02:06 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Funny you mention that. I was emailing Tobin at KORE 3 yesterday and it's the same place he recommended. I've already sent them an email.

Old 04-06-2020, 02:16 PM

That is where I got the recommendation too. Both great guys. BTW the cables he made connected to the lever on the caliper and connected directly to the rest of the stock OEM parking brake cable system!

Old 04-06-2020, 02:38 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

That's exactly what I am looking for or at least an easy retrofit.

I'd heard a lot about Kore 3 from other sites and it sounded like the usual fanboy stuff you hear about the "cool kids" from the "in" crowd. So, I was apprehensive especially since I am not into any high-dollar anything. I'm all budget and most of the cool kids aren't interested in working with you if you're not willing to give a blank check or at least be amenable to spending big bucks for the latest, greatest.

That said, Tobin at Kore 3 has been exceptional in terms of customer service. He answers all my emails- quickly. He answers all of my stupid questions and even explains things I'm too dumb to understand... Customer Service is top notch. I kinda wish they sold other stuff because I'd definitely buy from them again. Not too many places with customer service like that anymore.

So, to anyone reading this - if you want to do the C5 or C6 swap, call KORE 3. You can't go wrong (and in case anyone is wondering, I have no affiliation with these folks- just believe in recommending and supporting businesses with great customer service.)

Old 04-14-2020, 01:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Tobin is a good dude- he KNOWS his stuff, and he takes care of his customers! I've been dealing with him since the early 2000's, and he's always treated me right!

Old 04-14-2020, 01:46 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Hey John,

Thanks for the input. Nothing but good stuff to say about Tobin and Kore3!

BTW, I checked out some of your videos. My Tempest is getting the same rims and C5 brakes! I may need to keep an eye out on your progress.

The Following User Says Thank You to boostmaster For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2020, 09:51 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Other question:

I am needing to turn down the rear axles as well. I found a shop that MIGHT be able to do this. They are asking for the diameter of the axle "hub" where the studs are affixed and the diameter of the shaft itself. This stuff is still on the car and kind of a PITA to go and measure at the moment.

Would anyone happen to have the numbers offhand, or a resource where I can find these specs?