Old 05-18-2020, 07:47 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Need Opinions on Interior Spray Outs and Samples - 64 Light Saddle

Hi Everyone,

We have been making progress on the car and I've started looking into paint and interior materials.

I now have spray outs for the upper dash, lower dash and exterior and samples for the vinyl and carpet for the interior. To my eye - most of it appears pretty close, except possibly the vinyl and to a lesser extent the carpet.

The vinyl has an almost metal foil look. I have two 64 Light Saddle interior survivor cars in my research file (the 43K Cameo/Alamo, and a 16K Saddle Bronze car). However, it is difficult to tell whether their interiors look like this.

Let me know what you think. Thanks for the help.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Spray Outs and Vinyl.jpg
Views:	334
Size:	61.1 KB
ID:	540539   Click image for larger version

Name:	Legendary Samples.jpg
Views:	339
Size:	75.1 KB
ID:	540540  

Old 05-19-2020, 11:22 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The original interior on my '64 and the new material from SMS both had that finish. I refer to it as pearlescent, not sure if that's the correct term. I'm pretty sure its the right finish.

Old 05-20-2020, 07:40 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Thanks for the info Tempest1964...Any chance you have a small scrap of leftover you would be willing to part with? I would like to compare materials directly since photos can be really deceptive.

I would describe the look as gold metal foil. In person, it is not what I would call pearlescent - at least not like what you see on old Parchment upholstery.

Thanks again for the help.

Old 05-20-2020, 08:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have some, but it is not light saddle. Perhaps I spoke out of turn. My Tempest Custom has the 2-tone red and burgundy interior. If you would like a swatch of my material, just PM me your mailing address. If you’re looking for the light saddle, maybe someone else will chime in.

Old 05-21-2020, 03:50 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Wow...that sounds like a nice combo. Thanks for the offer - but I think I am going to try to find someone with Light Saddle to compare. Thanks for your help.

Old 05-22-2020, 01:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

SMS will send samples

Old 05-24-2020, 10:40 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Thanks...I am going to contact SMS for a sample. But that still leaves me without an original or known match to compare. I am hoping one of the local upholstery shops has an old materials book I can check.

Thanks again for the help. Any suggestions or experiences are appreciated.

Old 06-05-2020, 05:23 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

A little update in case anyone is following along...The SMS sample arrived today and it is much closer to what I expected bronze rather than gold and with a sheen similar to parchment (pearl) rather than a metal-foil look. Also the grain looks much more accurate.

Here are photos of the SMS and Legendary vinyl samples together. SMS is on the bottom. Along with pictures from the 64 Dealer Accessory Book that Chad (64Woodwheel) provided my wife on Facebook. (Thanks Chad! - the Pontiac Community is Awesome because of folks like you).

Thoughts, opinions, and experiences are appreciated. Thanks.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SMS Interior Sample.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	71.2 KB
ID:	541839   Click image for larger version

Name:	DealerAccessoryBook.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	22.6 KB
ID:	541840   Click image for larger version

Name:	DealerAccessoryBook2.jpg
Views:	198