Members Helping Members help Buying a non Pontiac item, transportation help, Handy-man advice, directions, vacation ideas, places to dine, ebay and generally anything you think might help other members.

Old 10-07-2012, 11:30 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Rivit Gun

Hate to say it, first time using a plastic rivit gun, picked up this cheapy from harbor freight to put some mud flaps on my other car......figured it to be a one time use.

Not sure if im working this thing right or not, no instructions included.........the first couple of rivits went in good, all i did was pull the handle a few times and that worked......now im putting on the next flap and everytime i squeeze the handle, and i do mean squeeze the handle it snaps and breaks the rivit.

Am i supposed to be doing something fancy here like squeeing the handle and turning it at the same time here or what. LOL

Got to tell you guys, im sitting here cracking up, it seems everything i buy lately, its falling apart as soon as i touch it..........

From....Rivit Gun Virgin

Rich

Old 10-07-2012, 11:33 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtorich View Post
Hate to say it, first time using a plastic rivit gun, picked up this cheapy from harbor freight to put some mud flaps on my other car......figured it to be a one time use.

Not sure if im working this thing right or not, no instructions included.........the first couple of rivits went in good, all i did was pull the handle a few times and that worked......now im putting on the next flap and everytime i squeeze the handle, and i do mean squeeze the handle it snaps and breaks the rivit.

Am i supposed to be doing something fancy here like squeeing the handle and turning it at the same time here or what. LOL

Got to tell you guys, im sitting here cracking up, it seems everything i buy lately, its falling apart as soon as i touch it..........

From....Rivit Gun Virgin

Rich
Sorry, forgot the pic so you can see what im talking about here
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Rivit Gun.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	42.2 KB
ID:	299647  

Old 10-07-2012, 11:38 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Blow the dust out of your wallet and buy a good one. I wouldn't buy anything from harbor freight.

Old 10-07-2012, 01:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

No special technique required. As you can tell, it's not exactly a high-tech tool, regardless of brand.
Is the material so thick that the back of the rivet can't expand? If so, you may need a rivet that is longer on that end.

Old 10-07-2012, 02:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 400 4spd. View Post
No special technique required. As you can tell, it's not exactly a high-tech tool, regardless of brand.
Is the material so thick that the back of the rivet can't expand? If so, you may need a rivet that is longer on that end.
Hey 400, im not sure what the problem is, the first couple of rivits worked good, now everytime i squeeze the handle i hear a snap and the rivit is broke.

I"ll give that longer rivit a shot.......im pretty sure these plastic rivits are not A-1 in quality either. LOL

Only have the back two flaps to put on, i"ll muddle through.

Thanks

Rich

Old 10-07-2012, 03:47 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Did it eject the pins when the rivet clamped? They might be stuck inside the gun.

Old 10-07-2012, 07:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

This is what you have?

http://www.harborfreight.com/hand-ri...html?hftref=cj

Lots of forums on the net indicate very good results with this tool.

I'm a big fan of Harbor Freight. Good tools, excellent prices.

Maybe you got a defective tool? Exchange it at HF.

I've never done plastic rivets but when I use my pop rivet tool, I've had problems if I fail to push the rivet stem all the way into the nosepiece and/or if it takes more than one squeeze, need to "reseat" the tool, in other words, keep the nosepiece pushed firmly up against the rivet head with each resqueeze.

Ditto the possibility that you are trying to attach with a too short rivet or possibly have a stem jamming something up.

If the rivet is too short, I'd guess it might be "locking" to the mud flap and snapping off but too short to hold to the underlying surface.

Operator error in that case.

Old 10-07-2012, 08:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by John V. View Post
This is what you have?

http://www.harborfreight.com/hand-ri...html?hftref=cj

Lots of forums on the net indicate very good results with this tool.

I'm a big fan of Harbor Freight. Good tools, excellent prices.

Maybe you got a defective tool? Exchange it at HF.

I've never done plastic rivets but when I use my pop rivet tool, I've had problems if I fail to push the rivet stem all the way into the nosepiece and/or if it takes more than one squeeze, need to "reseat" the tool, in other words, keep the nosepiece pushed firmly up against the rivet head with each resqueeze.

Ditto the possibility that you are trying to attach with a too short rivet or possibly have a stem jamming something up.

If the rivet is too short, I'd guess it might be "locking" to the mud flap and snapping off but too short to hold to the underlying surface.

Operator error in that case.

Operator error in that case. [/QUOTE]

John, i hear ya on the operator error. LOL.........I messed with the gun today and it seems to be working when i squeeze it now.........probubly had something stuck in it, who knows.

Im hitting the flaps again tomorrow..........i would have did it today but the "Packers" lost was just too much for me. LOL

Thanks again for helping the old boy out

Rich

Old 10-07-2012, 08:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtorich View Post
John, i hear ya on the operator error. LOL.........I messed with the gun today and it seems to be working when i squeeze it now.........probubly had something stuck in it, who knows.

Im hitting the flaps again tomorrow..........i would have did it today but the "Packers" lost was just too much for me. LOL

Thanks again for helping the old boy out

Rich
I hear ya about the Packers, imagine what it is like to be a Jags fan tonight as things are going from bad to worse here!

Good luck with the riveting!

Old 10-07-2012, 09:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepy View Post
Blow the dust out of your wallet and buy a good one. I wouldn't buy anything from harbor freight.
For once I agree with you,maybe theres hope

Old 10-08-2012, 09:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Plastic rivits.

Old 10-08-2012, 10:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Hey guys, just an update on the mud flaps, got them on today, i took off the back tires and all went 1-2-3..........the only thing i can figure was i was putting them in on a angle since i didn"t take off the front tires.............or maybe it was the beer. LOL

Rich