Members Helping Members help Buying a non Pontiac item, transportation help, Handy-man advice, directions, vacation ideas, places to dine, ebay and generally anything you think might help other members.

Old 11-13-2014, 04:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default '04 Grand Prix Monsoon Radio Noise

Now that my wheel bearings have been replaced and the car is driving smoother than I can ever remember, I thought I'd ask about another noise issue.

I've owned the car since new.

Quite awhile ago, my 10 speaker, 6 cd Monsoon premium radio which I rarely use and almost never at high volume developed an issue with the driver side door speaker.

First noticed that the door chime sounded sick. It plays thru that speaker and as far as I know, ONLY that speaker.

I figured the speaker must be "blown" in some respect. So a month ago, I stopped at the dealer to inquire about a replacement speaker. About $70. I was about to order it, but figured at that price, I better go out to the car just to be sure I was ordering the right speaker since there is also a separate small tweeter in the door.

So I turn on the radio, stick my ear to the door panel, and it sounds perfect. Chime sounds normal. So I tell the parts guy, forget it. I talked to him, said I really wasn't sure when it made the noise, thought maybe it had something to do with being cold. Hoped it was "cured".

Since then, here is what I notice. Sometimes there is no noise, other times there is.

Not sure, but it might start out fine whenever I first turn on the radio, then the noise comes in after awhile on the road. If it is making the noise, I have never heard it stop in mid-trip. Change stations, change volume, yes, slap the door panel, can't make it go away. No cutting in and out.

When it is making the noise, I can hear it AND feel the buzzing interference from that speaker with my hand over the speaker grille. Seems most pronounced on AM, listening to talk, a buzz that sorta follows along with the broadcast, in other words, not a steady uniform sound, but variable, following along with the words and volume of the talker's voice. On FM, with music, I hear not so much a bass frequency "buzz" but more of an echo effect, as if the station is not quite tuned in.

When it occurs on the radio, the chime tone will sound bad. But when it doesn't occur, the chime sounds normal.

Either way, it is annoying. It happens with local stations and when I'm out of town.

I've read some stuff on-line about some Monsoon radio issues but nothing that seems to relate to me. Mine is equipped with satellite and On-Star but I subscribe to neither.

Wondering if there is some sort of electrical interference or grounding issue caused by the car itself. Or some build up of static electricity that comes and goes.

Just as I write this, I'll mention I use a GPS plugged into the cig lighter. I suppose I should pay attention whether it happens when it is not plugged in. I think it does but I'll need to experiment. I use the GPS in another car without any radio issue.

I assume if it was a bad speaker, it would not be intermittent, but maybe that is a false assumption? Just don't want to replace the speaker if the speaker is not the problem.

I am weak when it comes to electrical.

Hoping that this issue sounds familiar to somebody here and there is an easy fix for it.

Old 11-13-2014, 06:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

FWIW, Window Sticker says it is 9 speaker not 10. The two 6x9 speakers on the rear package shelf must be counted as 4 speakers because they are 2 way speakers. Only way I can come up with 9 speakers.

Listened to it with key to RUN (so that the chime stops with the door open), radio on, engine off, GPS not plugged in. Speaker in left door making noise.