Old 10-07-2012, 12:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Talking

Silver Judge - must @#$#% off the Chevys when they get beat by A Monte Carlo with a Pontiac engine under the hood .

Old 12-09-2012, 08:31 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

OK guys, here's a video my friend made of my 428 running on a test stand he built. There is also some nice video of my car. If the car would have been ready I would have been hanging out with you guys on Woodward this past summer. Hopefully next year.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=rDgAaBu91tw

Old 12-12-2012, 04:29 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Send a message via AIM to Dr. Eric M. Schiffer
Default Engine and stand

Great video. The car and engine look perfect for Woodward!!!!!!!!! Are you going to put frame connectors on?
If you are making plans to be there, it is not just a one day event. Even though Woodward is busy with cruising all summer long you need to be there for the week leading up to the Saturday cruise. This is the best time to get the real feel and taste of the Detroit car scene.
Hopefully, the magazines will do the WOW cruise to the GM Milford Proving grounds, Ken Lignefelter's car collection, Jack Rousch's collection and Henry Ford Museum again.
The real flavor is being out on Woodward starting the weekend before and watching as the traffic gets heavier each night until Satuday.
If you cruise Woodward on Saturday do it early from Ferndale to Pontiac and back. Then park the car and walk. You'll see a lot of cars in parked in lots along the sides of Woodward. Best from 13 Mile Rd to Maple Rd (15 Mile Rd) and through Downtown Birmingham. It becomes a great spectator sport. Magazines do not do the cruise justice. You will see things during the week you will never beable to discribe to any one. No matter how hard you try.
Good luck with the Firebird it looks great!

Old 12-12-2012, 06:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

You know any of these guys? Is 'The Cheater' in the tiger suit?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picturegto 358.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	75.3 KB
ID:	305999  

Old 12-13-2012, 09:43 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Eric M. Schiffer View Post
Great video. The car and engine look perfect for Woodward!!!!!!!!! Are you going to put frame connectors on?
If you are making plans to be there, it is not just a one day event. Even though Woodward is busy with cruising all summer long you need to be there for the week leading up to the Saturday cruise. This is the best time to get the real feel and taste of the Detroit car scene.
Hopefully, the magazines will do the WOW cruise to the GM Milford Proving grounds, Ken Lignefelter's car collection, Jack Rousch's collection and Henry Ford Museum again.
The real flavor is being out on Woodward starting the weekend before and watching as the traffic gets heavier each night until Satuday.
If you cruise Woodward on Saturday do it early from Ferndale to Pontiac and back. Then park the car and walk. You'll see a lot of cars in parked in lots along the sides of Woodward. Best from 13 Mile Rd to Maple Rd (15 Mile Rd) and through Downtown Birmingham. It becomes a great spectator sport. Magazines do not do the cruise justice. You will see things during the week you will never beable to discribe to any one. No matter how hard you try.
Good luck with the Firebird it looks great!

Thanks Dr. Schiffer. I just ordered a driveshaft, subframe connectors and a driveshaft loop are next. Hopefully I can get the interior in this spring and start driving the car. I've been to the Dream Cruise 3 times already so I know the deal. The first time I made it up on a Wendsday and the next 2 times on Thursday but never with one of my cars. This summer I'm going to join in on all the fun.

Old 12-13-2012, 02:24 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by goatman65 View Post
Per Jim Wangers, the Tiger in this contest was George Hurst.

Old 12-14-2012, 10:11 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Tiger Suit

Quote:
Originally Posted by goatman65 View Post
Yes, that is John Politzer in the Tiger Suit. They shot these pictures at Motor City Dragway. The other guys are John Cosmela and Denis Frazo holding the guns

Last edited by Dr. Eric M. Schiffer; 12-14-2012 at 10:38 AM.
Old 12-14-2012, 10:35 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default George Hurst

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenney View Post
Per Jim Wangers, the Tiger in this contest was George Hurst.
Sorry, Tenny but you miss understood Jim when he sent out that old ad yesterday. George was "Unmasked" as the Tiger. It was John Politzer that was the driver all season long. John Politzer sans Tiger suit was also the "lucky" ticket holder that ran the final round against George Hurst who was now wearing the Tiger suit. John had to do everything he could to sand bag and stay behind a granny shifting George Hurst.

This was a season long event of "Unmask" the Tiger. Every week a new clue was given in Drag News of who the Mystery Tiger might be. They also gave the Tigers' win loss weekly score. It was John sweeping stuff in front of the other guys cars. Lifting the other guys hood and throwing plug wires out from there, that where planted under the hood for John to do this. John also drove around on a mini bike at the track in the suit giving things out to spectators.

After one event they did a late night flat tow home with John in one of the Geeto Tiger cars trying to sleep when it flipped. When John woke the car was upside down and Dave and Sid where yelling asking if he was alright. They were trying to get John home for his grand mothers funeral.

Old 12-14-2012, 10:47 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Dream Cruise

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANDYA View Post
Thanks Dr. Schiffer. I just ordered a driveshaft, subframe connectors and a driveshaft loop are next. Hopefully I can get the interior in this spring and start driving the car. I've been to the Dream Cruise 3 times already so I know the deal. The first time I made it up on a Wendsday and the next 2 times on Thursday but never with one of my cars. This summer I'm going to join in on all the fun.
Well, next year when you come with the Firebird you'll join up with us. Now if you get here for Tuesday we have a private party at Duggan's Irish Pub, Woodward and 13 Mile Rd, I may be able to convince the host to let you join us as my guest. Let me know and hopefully I can also have you park with the Royal Pontiac Club in down town Birmingham on old Woodward.

You also may want to make a quite hike up to Flint on that Dream Cruise Saturday to see a very large event called "Back to the Bricks". Several thousand cars line the downtown Flint streets. Many events going on at the same time there.

A lot of car events happening here all summer long. The two biggest happen on the same weekend.

Last edited by Dr. Eric M. Schiffer; 12-14-2012 at 10:53 AM.
Old 12-15-2012, 03:32 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Royal Firebird RA V Another Magazine test

Here is another magazine article on the Leader Engineering's Royal 1969 Firebird Ram Air V test. This is the same car that Ace Wilson's Royal Pontiac's Royal Racing Team had set up as a 350 HO race car. Leader Automotive used it as a Ram Air V in the tests.
This test is from Car Craft magazine June 1969.

Different magazine writers would attend the same test sessions. This article was written and photographed by Don Green.

The other magazine covering this Ram Air V Firebird was Drag Racing July 1969.

(Cover and five pages. Lst page on next reply)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Car Craft June 1969 Cover.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	92.3 KB
ID:	306256   Click image for larger version

Name:	Car Craft June 1969 pg 1.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	81.5 KB
ID:	306257   Click image for larger version

Name:	Car Craft June 1969 pg 2.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	133.8 KB
ID:	306258   Click image for larger version

Name:	Car Craft June 1969 pg 3.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	132.6 KB
ID:	306259   Click image for larger version

Name:	Car Craft June 1969 pg 4.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	110.5 KB
ID:	306260  

Old 12-15-2012, 03:35 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Con't Firebird Ram Air V article Car Craft June 1969

Last page of Firebird Ram Air V.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Car Craft June 1969 pg 5.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	106.4 KB
ID:	306261  

Old 12-15-2012, 04:01 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Royal Judge and T/A Preproduction

How about a little more insite on the introduction of the 1969 GTO Judge and Trans Am?

The Judge is again Jim Wangers 1969 Lime Light Green, that wore many hats ,when it was first painted and converted into a Judge. Hide A Way head lights, power rear anntena, white interior and the first white spear style stripe. Look closely at the white stripe and you will see a ROYAL BOBCAT emblem at near the door handle end of the stripe. Preproduction tall rear spoiler. Being tested at Lapeer Drag way. There is a separate photo of the lower production spoiler.

On the pre production 1969 Trans Am if you look closely you will see a Ace Wilson's ROYAL license plate frame with a Manufactures license plate. I did not ask John Politzer if it is Milt or him driving the car. Both had simular driving styles. Hunched over the wheel. Note also that here is no stripes or Trans Am decals, a bowed rear spoiler but clearly the T/A hood, side front fender extractors, 400 emblem still on the left side of the rear deck lid, Firebird emblem on the front fender and the car is not white.

The car is on the strip at Lapeer
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Car Craft March 1969 cover.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	93.7 KB
ID:	306262   Click image for larger version

Name:	Car Carft March 1969 De Judge and Trans Am pg 1.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	82.8 KB
ID:	306263   Click image for larger version

Name:	Car Craft March 1969 De Judge and Trans Am pg 2.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	120.3 KB
ID:	306264   Click image for larger version

Name:	Car Craft March 1969 De Judge and Trans Am pg 3.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	100.1 KB
ID:	306265  

Old 12-15-2012, 04:47 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Black Bird's 2012 Last ride

Since I only took the Black Bird out only once this summer. I just could not resist one last ride this past November. So on a brisk Saturday morning I took the Bird to our Auto Zone Book store gathering on Woodward Ave just north of 14 Mile Rd.

I shot these photos at 7:15 AM with light traffic. I was going to try and park the car in middle of Woodward to get the right look. but re thought that idea as I saw traffic heading my way. LOL

Some of the guys just had to see what was hidding under the hood after all of these years.

When I left the Auto Zone I got on the gas about 3/4's and caught the attention of one of Birmingham's finest. It was one of those OH S--t!!! moments as I noticed him coming up fast in my rear view mirror. He was cool and never pulled me over. But he did continue to hide behind some of the traffic and follow me for a few miles until I turned off Woodward. I headed directly home put the car in the garage and covered it until next year.

WOW, it was the '60's all over again! lol
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Saturday morning Auto Zone 11-17-2012 005.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	43.5 KB
ID:	306268   Click image for larger version

Name:	Saturday morning Auto Zone 11-17-2012 009.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	58.2 KB
ID:	306269   Click image for larger version

Name:	Saturday morning Auto Zone 11-17-2012 041.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	73.0 KB
ID:	306270   Click image for larger version

Name:	Saturday morning Auto Zone 11-17-2012 003.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	60.3 KB
ID:	306271   Click image for larger version

Name:	Saturday morning Auto Zone 11-17-2012 007.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	57.0 KB
ID:	306272  

Last edited by Dr. Eric M. Schiffer; 12-15-2012 at 05:28 PM.
Old 12-15-2012, 05:03 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Last Ride 40 years later

Since I was on Woodward at 7:15 AM, and the guys don't gather until 8AM, I took a few shots of the Black Bird. The stores directly across the street from where we meet, at the Auto Zone book store, is the same location one of the magazines took a photo of Jimmy Addison in his GTX.

So I snaped a few shoots of the Black Bird there. I included one of the shots of Addison from the 1972 article that first named his car the "Silver Bullet".

At least I thought it was a cool idea taking a photo at the same location 40 years later.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Saturday morning Auto Zone 11-17-2012 001.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	52.7 KB
ID:	306273   Click image for larger version

Name:	Saturday morning Auto Zone 11-17-2012 002.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	66.6 KB
ID:	306275   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jimmy Addison on Woodward at 14  Mile Rd.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	63.1 KB
ID:	306276  

Last edited by Dr. Eric M. Schiffer; 12-15-2012 at 05:21 PM.
Old 12-15-2012, 05:15 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Silver Bullet heads

I thought this was an interesting letter to the editor that resently appeared in Muscle Car Review.

I know that Harold bought Addison's GTX without engine and built his own. But I certainly would have stored the original heads for some later date. But we all have our special reasons. I'm sure Harold has his.

I have a lot of peices from the Black Bird's past so that I or the Bird's next owner could duplicate the different personalities of the car. Fiberglass hood, nitrous, Cragar light weight wheels and Moroso light weight front runner tires from the '70's, Edelbrock PB4 and 1000 CFM Thermo quad. and Leader Automotive valve covers. The list of saved items from the Black Bird goes on and on...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Muscle Car Review Aug 2012 cover Silver Bullet enigine letter.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	97.4 KB
ID:	306279   Click image for larger version

Name:	Muscle Car Review Aug 2012 Silver Bullett Engine.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	51.2 KB
ID:	306280  

Last edited by Dr. Eric M. Schiffer; 12-15-2012 at 05:34 PM.
Old 12-15-2012, 05:49 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Judge and T/A Intro

Quote:
How about a little more insite on the introduction of the 1969 GTO Judge and Trans Am?

The Judge is again Jim Wangers 1969 Lime Light Green, that wore many hats ,when it was first painted and converted into a Judge. Hide A Way head lights, power rear anntena, white interior and the first white spear style stripe. Look closely at the white stripe and you will see a ROYAL BOBCAT emblem at near the door handle end of the stripe. Preproduction tall rear spoiler. Being tested at Lapeer Drag way. There is a separate photo of the lower production spoiler.

On the pre production 1969 Trans Am if you look closely you will see a Ace Wilson's ROYAL license plate frame with a Manufactures license plate. I did not ask John Politzer if it is Milt or him driving the car. Both had simular driving styles. Hunched over the wheel. Note also that here is no stripes or Trans Am decals, a bowed rear spoiler but clearly the T/A hood, side front fender extractors, 400 emblem still on the left side of the rear deck lid, Firebird emblem on the front fender and the car is not white.

Forgot to mention that this is before the official decision as to where the Judge will be priced and what will be standard equiptment and what is optional. Read the copy and see the car was to come with a bench seat and bucket seats optional.

Old 12-18-2012, 10:21 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Well, next year when you come with the Firebird you'll join up with us. Now if you get here for Tuesday we have a private party at Duggan's Irish Pub, Woodward and 13 Mile Rd, I may be able to convince the host to let you join us as my guest. Let me know and hopefully I can also have you park with the Royal Pontiac Club in down town Birmingham on old Woodward.

You also may want to make a quite hike up to Flint on that Dream Cruise Saturday to see a very large event called "Back to the Bricks". Several thousand cars line the downtown Flint streets. Many events going on at the same time there.

A lot of car events happening here all summer long. The two biggest happen on the same weekend.
Thank you for the kind offer Dr. Schiffer. I'm looking foward to meeting you all and hanging out during the Dream Cruise. I'll do my best to try and make time to be up there as early as Tuesday.

Old 12-18-2012, 12:53 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Early 1969 Judge and Trans Am Introduction

Not sure how this post got lost so I'll re post the articles on the Judge and Trans Am Introduction:

OOPS! FOUND It! To Late. It was just a few reply's above. This getting old stuff is for the birds! LOL

I added one more picture from Ro with Jim Wangers out street racing with the Judge 400 Ram Air III Bobcat vs a Street Hemi.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Car Craft March 1969 cover.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	93.7 KB
ID:	306595   Click image for larger version

Name:	Car Carft March 1969 De Judge and Trans Am pg 1.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	82.8 KB
ID:	306596   Click image for larger version

Name:	Car Craft March 1969 De Judge and Trans Am pg 2.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	120.3 KB
ID:	306597   Click image for larger version

Name:	Car Craft March 1969 De Judge and Trans Am pg 3.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	100.1 KB
ID:	306598   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ro looking at 69 Royal Firebird Rac car.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	97.0 KB
ID:	306599  

Last edited by Dr. Eric M. Schiffer; 12-18-2012 at 01:00 PM.
Old 12-20-2012, 09:27 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Eric I think it is so cool you own Black Bird. I would like some day to make it to Woodward dream cruise.

79 Trans AM 406 #12 heads Torker II intake Crower 60210 750 holley vac. sec. T400 3500 Stall 3:73:1 rear. ECMTTFMFers. IHTTFMFers.
Old 12-20-2012, 11:28 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Thumbs up Woodward Dream Cruise

Quote:
Originally Posted by rad400 View Post
Eric I think it is so cool you own Black Bird. I would like some day to make it to Woodward dream cruise.
Rad, You are welcome to join us at the Dream Cruise any time.

As you see the Black Bird is NOT a trailer queen. But at the cost of $7.00 and more for race fuel I'm not willing to joiy ride it to Woodward too often. So, I take either the '68 GTO Convert 428 Royal Bobcat, which I can mix 93 with racing fuel and not hurt the pocket book to baddly. OR the Z06 with gets 26-28 mpg at a lot less cost...but not as COOL as the other two cars....

Now how did I get off on that tangent...LOL
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN2545.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	116.2 KB
ID:	306797   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2547.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	107.5 KB
ID:	306799  

Last edited by Dr. Eric M. Schiffer; 12-20-2012 at 11:40 AM.