Members Helping Members help Buying a non Pontiac item, transportation help, Handy-man advice, directions, vacation ideas, places to dine, ebay and generally anything you think might help other members.

Old 10-07-2012, 05:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default '98 Camry Blower Motor Operation

Trying to help a kid.

Blower motor fan switch has 4 speed positions plus off.

A/C has a lever that switches between Inside Air and Outside Air operation.

A/C switch on.

With lever set to Inside Air, Blower Motor only runs in the 2 highest speed settings.

With lever set to Outside Air, Blower Motor runs correctly in all 4 speed settings.

I checked the Owner's Manual, it doesn't indicate anything about the blower operation, just says for A/C, lever set to Outside Air, Fan at any speed and then a side note for quick cooling, set the lever to Inside Air for a minute to cool car off but no mention of fan speed.

Intuitively, it makes sense to run the blower at high speed for initial quick cooling with Inside Air. But can't understand why the blower would be off when set to the 2 lower speed settings in this mode.

Can't imagine it would be a blower resistor failure if the blower works in all 4 speeds when set to Outside Air.

Just wondering, is this the way it is designed to operate or is something wrong?

Old 10-08-2012, 05:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Well call me goofy. I swear when I drove the car Sat, it worked like I described. But after having no luck figuring it out, I just went out and checked the car again.

Now I get no air flow with the Blower set to Lo or Med Lo, only Med Hi and Hi. So it looks like a blown resistor after all.

I drove for about 25 miles on Sat and swear the blower worked in all 4 speeds and I could detect the difference in air flow between Lo and Med Lo but only with Outside Air and turned off when it was switched to Inside Air except when set to Med Hi and Hi.

But now, no air flow regardless of whether I put it to Inside Air or Outside Air except when set to Med Hi and Hi.

Oh well. At least I understand the problem.

Old 10-08-2012, 05:53 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Glad I could help....