Members Helping Members help Buying a non Pontiac item, transportation help, Handy-man advice, directions, vacation ideas, places to dine, ebay and generally anything you think might help other members.

Old 10-09-2012, 05:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default 2007 Malibu cabin filter=dealer item?

I went to 2 part stores and both said that they are not available.Does anyone know?Thanks

Old 10-09-2012, 09:01 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

yeah..i think strictly a dealer item..part number prolly has changed too--same thing on my 01 park avenue--under dash filters only at dealer.

Old 10-10-2012, 01:49 AM
Ultimate Warrior

It will be 1/10th the size of the air filter & cost 3 times more!!!

POCI.org
Old 10-10-2012, 07:31 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I wonder if you could use the frame and refilter it with new filter media yourself

Old 10-10-2012, 08:39 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Walmart used to carry them. But I went to buy one about a month ago and learned they no longer do.

I believe it was Advance Auto that I tried next. They had a couple choices but I wanted the Fram FreshBreeze (I think it used Baking Soda in it) and they carried it but were out of stock, had to order it in. IIRC, they had a "regular" Fram in stock. I passed at that time, but figured that is where I'd get it when the time came.

I think the price was about $20 which is about what I remember paying at Walmart 2 years ago.

This is for my '04 Grand Prix. The OE filter stayed in for 7 years but I was noticing the A/C air was smelling a bit rank. They are pricey, but the reason I didn't change mine was mainly because I never thought about it until it started to smell bad. Plus, it isn't quite as easy to change out as for example my wife's '08 & '12 Civics.

My son has an '06 BMW, even when Walmart had them, they didn't carry one for his. I vaguely recall that Pep Boys might have carried one for him or else he went to the Dealer.

Old 10-10-2012, 09:11 AM
Ultimate Warrior

After posting, did a Google search and came up with this.

Seems the '07 Malibu might have a filter box but no cabin filter? That might explain why they are N/A.

But according to what I read at this thread, if you want one, you can find one that fits and put it in your filter box, located behind the glove box door (like the Civic install).

Does your car have a filter in it now? Maybe a prior owner installed a "will fit"?

According to what I read in the thread the Cobalt filter or Saturn Ion filter might fit your filter box.

http://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/f...-filter-65322/

Also, check out this Fram installation video for the '07 Cobalt, see if it looks like what is behind your glove box door.

http://www.framfreshbreeze.com/instr...EVROLET/COBALT

Good luck!

BTW, if your Malibu was NOT originally equipped with a filter, you might think about why you want one. It will add some head loss, restrict air flow somewhat. And if you neglect the thing like I did mine, the mold might be worse to breathe than "polluted" ambient air. Just saying because for a lot of years, no car had a cabin filter. Not sure they really make the cabin air "better" or a psychological gimmick.

Old 10-10-2012, 11:31 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Two weeks ago my daughter went on-line and got the cabin filter for her 06 BMW. She paid I believe less than $30 including shipping. Dealer wanted $80+.

"Its never too late to have a happy childhood"!

I told my dad I was going to stop raising hell, and he called me a quitter!
Old 10-11-2012, 09:04 AM
Ultimate Warrior

My car doesn't have one right now.I asked at the parts store if the Pontiac G6 shows one available and it does not.It is behind the glove box.I may try the Cobalt filter to see if it works.

Old 10-11-2012, 09:11 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks for the links John!

Old 10-11-2012, 09:30 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Sorry to drift off topic, but seriously...are in-car air filters really necessary?? This ain't my world.

My inner cynic wonders whether they are touted as a convenience/feature but in reality they are needed to trap harmful stuff from all the outgassing plastics!

Old 10-11-2012, 10:21 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue '66 View Post
Thanks for the links John!
Welcome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctgross View Post
Two weeks ago my daughter went on-line and got the cabin filter for her 06 BMW. She paid I believe less than $30 including shipping. Dealer wanted $80+.
Asked my son last night, turns out he also got his on-line. He remembered that I told him NAPA had them but he was hosed for $40 because he wanted the "genuine" BMW part (like BMW makes filters!) which he found on-line. He told me HIS local dealer wanted over $100 for it at the time (about 2 years ago)! I tease him about BMW and the high cost of parts. He has the 325i 6 spd sedan, it doesn't have an oil dipstick if you can believe that. My impression is that BMW takes simple stuff and complicates it (like their wear indicator electronic sensors for the brake pads). But aside from maintenance, it has been a solid car for him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engine-Ear View Post
Sorry to drift off topic, but seriously...are in-car air filters really necessary?? This ain't my world.

My inner cynic wonders whether they are touted as a convenience/feature but in reality they are needed to trap harmful stuff from all the outgassing plastics!
Assuming you usually run the A/C on Outside Air, the filter won't do anything about outgassing from the plastics, they only filter the incoming air unless you are recirculating inside air. And I doubt the cabin filters trap much more than pollen and other particulate, you'll still smell diesel fumes and such. So I'm also skeptical that they are going to trap or adsorb much in the way of volatiles although my Fram does have baking soda which does absorb some odors. Purolator claims some of their cabin filters have a charcoal layer that will "eliminate odors and unhealthy gases".

Here is one commentary about the "value" of a charcoal layer filter. Sounds like it depends on the type of driving.

http://www.tundraheadquarters.com/bl...p-to-the-hype/

Old 10-11-2012, 10:36 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks, John V.

Old 10-11-2012, 11:07 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Malibu'/G6's(Z-bodies) dont have a cabin air filter.

http://s207.photobucket.com/albums/b...hop/?start=100
Old 10-11-2012, 04:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Region Warrior View Post
Malibu'/G6's(Z-bodies) dont have a cabin air filter.
But per the link, the Malibu ('07 anyway) does have the filter box and will accept the same filter as the Cobalt.

Any idea why they didn't INSTALL a cabin filter if they included a filter box?

Old 10-11-2012, 05:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Dont see how a Colbalt filter would work.
Two different systems.
There is no "filter box" in the Z bodies.

Old 10-11-2012, 05:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Well, not my car. But the thread I linked from the GMIinsideNews Forum was specific to the '07 Malibu.

The guy included pix of the Filter Box in his '07 Malibu as found behind the glove box.

And he ultimately installed a Cobalt Filter in the slot after being told the slot measurements were the same as another guy had in his Cobalt.

Did you view the link?

Blue '66, have you looked behind your glove box yet?

Old 10-11-2012, 05:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

In that case find your local A/C Delco parts store.
Number is CF125.
Retail should be 33.16
If you get whsl 23.21

Old 10-11-2012, 08:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I did look behind the glovebox,opened up the snaps and no filter.I think I can get one from Wal Mart cheaper.I want to try it .

Old 10-12-2012, 08:15 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue '66 View Post
I did look behind the glovebox,opened up the snaps and no filter.I think I can get one from Wal Mart cheaper.I want to try it .
My local Walmart stores no longer carry the Fram FreshBreeze cabin filters in the store. Call your local stores, they might still have them, or maybe they still have them at Walmart.com.

Advance, AZ, Pep Boys, NAPA, O'Reilly's should all carry something.

You might find cheaper prices on-line. You'll have to decide if you want the premium type with the odor elimination like the Fram FreshBreeze with baking soda or the basic ones that filter the particulate and pollen only.

The Fram FreshBreeze for the '07 Cobalt is CF10361.

Old 10-12-2012, 12:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I don't recall the brand that my daughter got, but I helped her put it in at my house....it's located under the hood just below the wipers....about 2 feet x 8". It was fairly nasty looking & she said the interior does't smell musty after we replaced it.

just my .02 FYI

"Its never too late to have a happy childhood"!

I told my dad I was going to stop raising hell, and he called me a quitter!