Members Helping Members help Buying a non Pontiac item, transportation help, Handy-man advice, directions, vacation ideas, places to dine, ebay and generally anything you think might help other members.

Old 10-16-2015, 07:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default '01 GMC 2500 HD hard shifts

Been getting hard shifts from my truck lately. Intermittent issue, but may be getting more frequent. If it was in one of my Pontiacs with a TH400, I would say it was the vacuum modulator, but doubt seriously that this truck has one. Replaced by electronics? Tow/haul kicking in randomly maybe?

Fluid level fine, w/ bubbles on the stick when you check it running. Got about 120k on it.

What have I got going on?

13 Smiles per Gallon:
66 Bonneville wagon
66 Bonneville 2d HT - In perpetual progress
Old 10-18-2015, 05:32 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

If you have the 4L80e trans, then check for a knock sensor code. I forget why or how it's tied into the trans wiring but we had that once and it drove us nuts on a dually and only applies to the 4L80 trucks. Had firm applies into drive and reverse. Just general high line pressure

Old 10-19-2015, 06:50 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks. That makes sense with this vehicle. Had a knock sensor replaced about a year ago. Still have to run premium in it to avoid knocks, but majority of issue resolved. When gas formulas change seasonally I still get the knock even with 93 octane. Also more prone to do the hard shifts when A/C is on.

It's like I got a street strip kit in it!

13 Smiles per Gallon:
66 Bonneville wagon
66 Bonneville 2d HT - In perpetual progress