Old 08-22-2020, 07:11 PM

Default Braking issues

I have a 1968 GTO which I just did a lot of work to. One thing I did was replace the complete braking system which is a power front disc system. I used new original repo parts which consists of everything except the proportioning valve. The issue I have is when you apply the brakes it pulls to the left and when you release it it pulls back to the right as if a rubber line is bad but they are all new too. Any thoughts on why this would happen be appreciated Thank you

Old 08-23-2020, 12:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Sounds like a possible frozen caliper ,,, or a real lazy caliper ,,, on one side.

Old 08-23-2020, 12:56 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron Von Zeppelin View Post
Sounds like a possible frozen caliper ,,, or a real lazy caliper ,,, on one side.
Agreed, most likely just lazy.

Try jacking it up, have someone apply the breaks and then let off, see how long it takes each side to let go.

In addition if anyone let the caliper hang by the hose during installation it could have stretched the hose causing a restriction.

Frank

Old 08-23-2020, 03:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Could also be a binding piston in one caliper.

Old 08-26-2020, 03:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

These are the factory style reproduction 4-piston calipers, correct? It's not too common, but good to check to ensure that one of the pistons on either side is not sticking in the bore. You can check the brake function with these simply by looking at the piston movement through the top "window" in the caliper. Remove the brake pad locating pin (pull cotter pin/slide out) while someone pushes the pedal. With the 4-piston style calipers, this is one advantage. you can see both sides of the caliper working against the pads at the same time.

Land of Lakes Muscle Car Classic
Facebook Event
Facebook Wall (Kurt Smith,Minneapolis)