Old 08-24-2020, 07:44 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Starting after 6 months

Back in April I had accident in my pick-up and broke my leg and some other things. My 68 GTO has been sitting in garage since day of accident. I hope to be able to get to garage in a couple of weeks and start car. It still has quardjet that Cliff Ruggles rebuilt several years ago and ign has been switched to electronic. What precautions do I need to take in process of starting and driving again? Thanks, Mike

1968 GTO Numbers matching 400 H.O. 4-speed 3:55
1964 T-Bird 46,000 Actual Mile
1928 Model A
2009 Lexus
1981 Dodge D-100
1976 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible
19631/2 Ford Galaxie Fastback
Old 08-24-2020, 09:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

6 months?....if it were mine, I'd turn the starter long enough to get oil pressure and just start it. I do the same thing after an oil change.

Old 08-24-2020, 09:49 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Exactly what Greg said. Check the battery, maybe a shot of starting fluid, hit the key. I have cars I have forgot I even had and started them a year or two later after sitting.

Old 08-24-2020, 09:52 PM
Suspended

6 months equates to about a week for me. Put a new battery in it, stick the key in the ignition and turn it. That is what I did a month ago with one of my Pontiacs that I haven't started since the 1999 POCI Convention.

Old 08-25-2020, 03:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I had a 68 GTO stored under a building in a heated/controlled space for 9+ years. I needed to move it.
  • One tire was low, so we fixed that.
  • The rear drums were stuck, so I had to pound them off with a maul.
  • Replaced battery, added 1 gallon of gas to the gas that remained in the tank, drizzled some gas in the carb (had electric fuel pump)
  • Replaced the battery.
  • checked oil
Turned key, fuel pump hummed to life. No leaks. Then I pumped pedal twice and turned key to start. I believe the engine spun over twice before firing. I feathered the gas for 15 seconds and it then idled.

If my car could do that, your car should pop off right away without trouble!

Land of Lakes Muscle Car Classic
Facebook Event
Facebook Wall (Kurt Smith,Minneapolis)
Old 08-25-2020, 03:27 PM

I store my summer cars every winter, and sometimes it's six months before they're driven again. I just start them up and they're okay. Unless your car has a running clock or some other constant current drain, chances are the battery will be fine - if it was in good shape before and was fully charged the last time the car was driven it probably still has plenty of juice left.

Old 08-29-2020, 08:59 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I store my Lemans every year for 6 months....in spring I put battery in it, and crank it over till it starts. I always run 95 octane non ox gas in it.

Old 08-31-2020, 06:01 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Not that its recommended, but some of my cars will sit for years between runs. Good, Non-ethonal fuel is a must. Have always been surprised how well they will run. Been doing that for about 14 years now. First time I left a car sit for more than a year, I thought I was going to be rebuilding something, but was pleasantly surprised. I think the key is the fuel not going bad & then the storage location being climate controlled helps possibly more than the above. not so much heat, but keeping the humidity away. Bad things happen over time, but I would not think in 6 months. My 79 T/A has not been started in 5-ish years. Was lightly fogged beforehand. That car Still has orignal exhaust on it & I would rather risk a fuel problem than putting condensation through the pipes too often.

about 12 years ago, a friend & I pulled a parts car out of storage that was in a semi-open shed for about 10-12 years. fuel smelled like turpentine, but just for grins we threw a battery in it & dumped some fuel down the carb. not only did it start but we drove it on to the trailer. But, the brakes had failed, so that part was a little sketchy. It was stripped for parts, so I would not have tried that on any other car that had a future.

68 GTO 4-spd Convertible
78 S/E Trans am L78, WS6 Auto
78 S/E Trans am W72, WS6 Auto
79 10th aniv W72 Trans am
80 Indy pace car Trans am
89 Trans am GTA
Old 08-31-2020, 12:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Wouldn't hurt to un-plug the power from dist cap (HEI) and crank it over some (without starting) to get some oil working towards the top.

Many ways of prepping - and not prepping - for restarts.
It's all up to you and how much time you want to invest.

6 months inside a garage - would probably just spin it some with starter (without starting) - and then hit it.

If it was much over 6 months
I pull the distributor and run a drill tool on the oil pump.
Re-Install
Pull the spark plugs and give a small squirt in each hole.
Crank it over with coil wire unplugged.
Replace spark plugs.
Then hit it
Its old fashioned now - but its not in vain.

Old 09-03-2020, 07:04 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Thanks for all the advise. I removed hot wire from coil and just cranked it over for about 25/30 seconds. It quickly built up between 40/45 lbs oil pressure on under dash Stewart/Warner gauge. I then reconnected wire to coil and she fired up. After 6 months in bed/recliner , I forgot how much fun it is to do a burnout.

1968 GTO Numbers matching 400 H.O. 4-speed 3:55
1964 T-Bird 46,000 Actual Mile
1928 Model A
2009 Lexus
1981 Dodge D-100
1976 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible
19631/2 Ford Galaxie Fastback