Old 08-07-2012, 12:55 AM

Default lemans post door question

i see other lemans and i see they do not have post doors, why is that? mine has the frame around it.

2 examples:

post here
Click image for larger version

Name:	Pontiac_GTO_1966.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	118.0 KB
ID:	293711

no post here
Click image for larger version

Name:	1966_pontiac_le_mans-pic-1109.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	99.1 KB
ID:	293712

wtf..

Last edited by Jay Lightning; 08-07-2012 at 01:13 AM.
Old 08-07-2012, 05:45 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Coupe (upper frame) Vs Hardtop (no frame)

Old 08-07-2012, 06:07 AM
Ultimate Warrior

They were offered in different configurations. Convertible, coupe, hardtop, fourdoor and wagon in the Lemans level. Four door and wagon were not offered in the GTO line.

Old 08-07-2012, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Hamlin View Post
Coupe (upper frame) Vs Hardtop (no frame)
I see. So there's No shame in having a coupe then. I see em without a post want mine like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arbys View Post
They were offered in different configurations. Convertible, coupe, hardtop, fourdoor and wagon in the Lemans level. Four door and wagon were not offered in the GTO line.
Oh ok thats cool. Does price matter on coupe or hardtop? Meaning if I would sell it what's worth more coupe or hardtop..

Old 08-07-2012, 09:13 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I personally like the hardtop (no post) over the coupe. Others may like the post better. Post is probably more rare. Parts availabilty for the post parts are limited and not generally reproduced like the hardtop parts.

Old 08-07-2012, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arbys View Post
I personally like the hardtop (no post) over the coupe. Others may like the post better. Post is probably more rare. Parts availabilty for the post parts are limited and not generally reproduced like the hardtop parts.
Believe me you have no idea how hard it was getting my hands on that door. No company makes it and no one had it. But thank God I found someone who did. Well at least its like you said more rare of a car if it matters at all

Old 08-07-2012, 10:29 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

This topic has been debated at length in other posts. Many people prefer the hardtop for it's cleaner looks especially when all the windows are down. Obviously when buyers were voting with their checkbooks, the vast majority bought a hardtop instead of the coupe. From the other viewpoint, the coupe is lighter & structurally stronger. It is also rarer. I have one of each & I prefer the coupe, but that's just me. Everyone seems to have an opinion about this but there is no disgrace in having a coupe & some people actually like them better. Jerry.

Old 08-07-2012, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satyr1966 View Post
This topic has been debated at length in other posts. Many people prefer the hardtop for it's cleaner looks especially when all the windows are down. Obviously when buyers were voting with their checkbooks, the vast majority bought a hardtop instead of the coupe. From the other viewpoint, the coupe is lighter & structurally stronger. It is also rarer. I have one of each & I prefer the coupe, but that's just me. Everyone seems to have an opinion about this but there is no disgrace in having a coupe & some people actually like them better. Jerry.
I searched for a thread explaining the 2 but couldn't find anything or more then likely I was searching to specific. Sorry very sorry for making another thread about this Jerry. I ain't saying I dont like my car but wanted to know what was up with that.

Old 08-07-2012, 11:57 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The post A-bodies were usually used for drag racing seeing they were lighter. Not always tho, but many had a preference for them.

Gary
Get in, ShuT Up, Hang On!
Member of the Baltimore Built Brotherhood
MY GTO built 4th Week of March 1966
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Keep yer stick on the ice.
Old 08-07-2012, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT182 View Post
The post A-bodies were usually used for drag racing seeing they were lighter. Not always tho, but many had a preference for them.
from most of the pictures i can tell they were prefered. gives me more of a reason to restore this bad body