Old 04-06-2014, 07:49 PM
Senior Chief

Question '64 Grand Prix Heat & A/C Blower Fan

Hello,

I'm restoring my '64 Grand Prix that sat for several years before I purchased it. When taking apart the heater and A/C blower motor and fan (i.e. the thing that looks like a hamster wheel), I realized the fan was very rusty. I cleaned it up and painted it, but I didn't realize how sensitive the fan was. I reattached it to a new blower motor after cleaning and painting it, but now it wobbles. I had a heck of a time getting it off the shaft of the old blower motor, and maybe I tweaked it. I've since heard this bad news and I don't know what to do. I have checked various catalogs for replacement blower fans, and they are all for non-A/C cars. I'm not sure what the difference is, but my car is a factory A/C car. Is there a way to fix the fan so it doesn't wobble? Is there a replacement fan I could buy that is for my factory A/C car? Does anyone know if the non-A/C and A/C fans are similar enough that I could use a non-A/C one of my car? Thanks for the help!

Old 04-08-2014, 01:37 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Measure your fan. Diameter and depth. I have a 1964 non AC fan you can have if it fits.

Old 04-08-2014, 01:16 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatracer1 View Post
Measure your fan. Diameter and depth. I have a 1964 non AC fan you can have if it fits.
Thank you, Goatracer! The fan measures 5-7/16" in diameter, and 3-7/16" in height (measured from the outside of the fan). If your fan isn't tweaked and is the same measurements, I'd definitely be interested in your fan. I can PM you with my PayPal info to reimburse you for shipping .

Old 04-12-2014, 01:26 AM
Ultimate Warrior

These fans usually have a balance weight[small, flat clip, that clips over a fan blade] clipped onto them somewhere. If you can find it, take it off. Then add power to the blower terminal and ground blower case. You can hold the blower motor in your hands, just keep your fingers and what not, away from the fan. With it spinning, see if it wobbles or vibrates from out of balance. If so, I would try to mark the heavy side with a marker by holding it close to the fan as it spins and slowly get the marker tip closer to the fan until it just starts to touch. Stop the fan and look for the marks. The marks should be on the heavy side, so I would attach the weight 180° from the center of your marker marks. Try it again. You may have to adjust it slightly from there, but you should be able to get it back into reasonable balance with some patience.

520-409-7236
Koerner Racing Engines
You killed it, We build it!
520-294-5758

64 GTO, under re-construction, 412 CID, also under construction.
87 S-10 Pickup, 321,000 miles
99Monte Carlo, 293,000 miles
86 Bronco, 218,000 miles
Old 04-12-2014, 06:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Will be going where fan is on Friday. Will measure and get back to you.

Old 04-13-2014, 11:12 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatracer1 View Post
Will be going where fan is on Friday. Will measure and get back to you.
Great! Thank you!

Old 04-13-2014, 11:25 PM
Suspended

If you go to a NAPA store they have a book with the fan cage measurements in there books . You should be able to find a fan to fit your motor.

Old 04-19-2014, 03:47 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Checked fax. Someone had dropped something on it and bent it. Will try to find another. Offer still stands if I can. Sorry!

Old 04-19-2014, 06:29 PM
Senior Chief

Thank you, Goatracer! I appreciate you checking for me, and if you have a fan that is correct and in good shape, I'll take it. I'm also going to try NAPA and see what they have in a catalog, per rex73GTO's suggestion. GTOfreek also has a good suggestion, and I may try that. Though that does sound like it would be tough to get to make work.