Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 01-08-2022, 12:46 PM

Default 389 Rebuild

I am getting ready to rebuild a 1966 389 tri-power. I believe the engine came out of a Catalina. I will be sending the heads to Paul Carter in Arizona for a valve job, some porting, screw in rocker studs and what ever else he thinks they need. I am looking for suggestions on the right combination of cam, piston, rods crank, rockers, etc. to near 400 hp. I will be using a 200R4 transmission. I hope to run pump gas when I am done. It will be a street driven GTO, but just with a little extra punch!

Old 01-08-2022, 12:58 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadtech View Post
I am getting ready to rebuild a 1966 389 tri-power. I believe the engine came out of a Catalina. I will be sending the heads to Paul Carter in Arizona for a valve job, some porting, screw in rocker studs and what ever else he thinks they need. I am looking for suggestions on the right combination of cam, piston, rods crank, rockers, etc. to near 400 hp. I will be using a 200R4 transmission. I hope to run pump gas when I am done. It will be a street driven GTO, but just with a little extra punch!
If your looking for a original look, the big cars used 092 heads in 1966 but the GTO used 093 heads. You may want to find the correct heads before spending that money on them if your doing a GTO. FWITW.

Old 01-08-2022, 01:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If Paul is doing the heads why not have him setup your combination?Tom

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tom s For This Useful Post:
Old 01-08-2022, 01:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I gotta say here that If I where Paul I would be quite upset / annoyed that you don’t trust him to pick / choose these parts out for you there guy!

The guy porting your heads ( Paul) is very very likely going to know best what Cam you should run!

Also head work wise, I guarantee you that the heads will need some valve guides, so you might as well get all 16 replaced if such has not been done already.

Those heads flow about 177 intake cfm in stock form.
If you want to hit your target goal of 400 hp while running less then .500” lift , then intake flow wise you will need to pick up some 38 cfm by my math @ .500” lift, along with a exh flow increase up to 160 to 165 cfm.

P.S
Hey T V would you like to pass any judgement on what I just posted here?

1) 1940s 100% silver 4 cup tea server set.

Two dry rotted 14 x 10 Micky Thompson slicks.

1) un-mailed in gift coupon from a 1972 box of corn flakes.
Two pairs of brown leather flip flops, never seen more then 2 mph.

Education is what your left with once you forget things!

Last edited by steve25; 01-08-2022 at 02:13 PM.
Old 01-08-2022, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadtech View Post
I forgot to mention I will be using the original 093 heads.

Old 01-08-2022, 02:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Here is a thread by a friend of mine. Goes by Cardo on the forum.
https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com...&highlight=389
I agree with everyone’s comments about Paul Carter. If you read Cardo’s thread it will give you valuable information and good talking points to discuss your project with Paul. Good luck and keep us all posted on your project!

Old 01-08-2022, 02:09 PM

I have talked with Paul on cam choices and the other related parts. And I can tell you from speaking with him that he is highly respected, and also greatly skilled and knowledgeable with Pontiac engines. I very much respect and appreciate that. I am sure I will go with his recommendations. I just like to hear input and experiences from the Pontiac community. I did by no means mean to offend anyone or Paul.

Old 01-08-2022, 02:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

You did not offend anyone! My grandpa used to say ‘The only dumb question is the one you don’t ask’

Old 01-08-2022, 03:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

This thread is a lot more helpful... I built this motor based on Paul's advice. As you can see, it came in right at your target numbers. I'm sure this it the thread tempest1964 was looking for. https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com...d.php?t=836191

Old 01-09-2022, 04:25 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Paul Carter is doing your engine. You are good to go.

The Following User Says Thank You to Dragncar For This Useful Post: