THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 01-31-2020, 11:39 AM
Ultimate Warrior

GE factory service is great. If you don't clean the condenser's yearly the water lines will crack no matter what ya buy.

Old 01-31-2020, 12:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Forgot about Frigidaire ... they were once a very premium brand, lots of their commercial stuff still running after decades.

I've got an Emerson cheapo Microwave that has been working for 35 years now, has a knob and a start button, stop button (mechanical). Wife wants a new one but insists on one with a knob ... no stupid panel that you have to input numbers.

Old 01-31-2020, 12:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief of the 60's View Post
And what's with this noise crap? I remember when the only thing you "barely" heard was the motor. Refrigerators today are like a bowl of cereal... SNAP... CRACKLE.... POP! And they manage to make the most noise in the middle of the night. A few weeks ago I woke up at 4 in the morning to what I though was someone trying to get into the back door.

LOL! Mine does that crap too. I`m used to it now. Kinda sad when you`re creeping through your house, in the dark, with a .40 cal, only to find out it`s only the fridge trying to break in.

Mine`s a Kenmore Elite made by LG. Bought in 2015. No real problems except what Chief stated. This mofo makes some weird noises.

Old 01-31-2020, 12:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by indymanjoe View Post
GE factory service is great. If you don't clean the condenser's yearly the water lines will crack no matter what ya buy.
Funny you should mention cleaning the condenser. My dad worked for GE for 31 year at Appliance Park(Louisville, KY). During his entire career, he worked in Bldg. 5( refrigeration). He and Mom purchased three GE refrigerators during Dad’s tenure. The first was it 1955; it was still going in 1973 when they purchased a much larger basic top mount model. This unit lasted until 1985 when it’s compressor went “south”. The last one Dad purchased (shortly before his death in October of ‘85) worked well until the compressor “died” in 1991 but GE replaced it free of charge. It was still going when Mom passed away it 1995. My middle sister finally replaced it in 2000 when the second compressor “died”. What all the refrigerators had in common was their condenser coils were cleaned every month. Additionally, Dad would NOT purchase any refrigerator other than a basic top mount model. He watch refrigerators being built every day and reasoned the more “garbage”installed on them the less reliable they became.

Dr. Thomas Sowell
Old 01-31-2020, 12:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Maytag

Old 01-31-2020, 12:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The consensus we seemed to have reached is that there is no consensus.

frittering and wasting the hours in an off hand way....

1969 GTO, 455ci, 230/236 Pontiac Dude's "Butcher Special" Comp hyd roller cam with Crower HIPPO solid roller lifters, Q-jet, Edelbrock P4B-QJ, Doug's headers, ported 6X-8 (97cc) heads, TKO600, 3.73 geared Eaton Tru-Trac 8.5", hydroboost, rear disc brakes......and my greatest mechanical feat....a new heater core.
Old 01-31-2020, 01:01 PM
Senior Chief

Kenmore top mount (Whirlpool)

1971 Grand Prix 462ci SD Performance 6x heads
1962 Catalina 389
1968 Firebird 400-455 I haven't decided

"If we ever forget that we're one nation under GOD, then we will be a nation gone under." - Ronald Reagan
Old 01-31-2020, 01:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Rather than a particular brand, we shopped at Lowes for their scratch and dent specials. Picked up a top of the line, display model, French door Whirlpool Gold with three small dents at the bottom of the freezer door. It was marked down from 3200 to 1800. Add a Military discount and a 3 day holiday sale we walked out paying $1450. Had one problem with the freezer compartment running warm. Tech replaced and relocated the thermostat based upon his previous experience with that model. Our previous Whirlpool Gold side by side moved to the garage. Still running well after 20 + years.

Tech wasn't impressed with Samsung. He said they should stick to TVs.

1968 GTO (Thanks Mom)
2006 Silverado
2007 Cadillac SRX
2015 Chevy Express

Old 01-31-2020, 01:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

On the noise thing, we just replaced our dishwasher with a Samsung. House is 15 years old now & everything is starting to go......

Anyway, I can't believe how quiet that thing it. Can barely hear it while in the kitchen & can't hear anything when your in the next room. Cleans great, but doesn't dry the dishes very well. no heating element like the older ones had. Little pricey too, but what isn't beside TV's today.

68 GTO 4-spd Convertible
78 S/E Trans am L78, WS6 Auto
78 S/E Trans am W72, WS6 Auto
79 10th aniv W72 Trans am
80 Indy pace car Trans am
89 Trans am GTA
Old 01-31-2020, 01:48 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief of the 60's View Post
And what's with this noise crap? I remember when the only thing you "barely" heard was the motor. Refrigerators today are like a bowl of cereal... SNAP... CRACKLE.... POP! And they manage to make the most noise in the middle of the night. A few weeks ago I woke up at 4 in the morning to what I though was someone trying to get into the back door.
Our Bosch is whisper quiet.

Don

Old 01-31-2020, 01:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

We just replaced our fridge with a Samsung "Digital inverter 10 year compressor warranty" french door freezer on the bottom. Our old one was 20 years old and still worked fine. This new one makes weird noises and has an alarm when the door is open too long. She can't hear it. The shelves are not adjustable and milf and juice containers are too tall to fit anywhere but the doors. It seems to be working fine so far. I haven't hooked up the ice maker. Lets face it folks, planned obsolescence is the new norm.

“Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan Press On! has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.”
― Calvin Coolidge
Old 01-31-2020, 02:14 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRR View Post
We just replaced our fridge with a Samsung "Digital inverter 10 year compressor warranty" french door freezer on the bottom. Our old one was 20 years old and still worked fine. This new one makes weird noises and has an alarm when the door is open too long. She can't hear it. The shelves are not adjustable and milf and juice containers are too tall to fit anywhere but the doors. It seems to be working fine so far. I haven't hooked up the ice maker. Lets face it folks, planned obsolescence is the new norm.
Uh....

Old 01-31-2020, 02:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by dataway View Post
Forgot about Frigidaire ... they were once a very premium brand, lots of their commercial stuff still running after decades.

I've got an Emerson cheapo Microwave that has been working for 35 years now, has a knob and a start button, stop button (mechanical). Wife wants a new one but insists on one with a knob ... no stupid panel that you have to input numbers.
Frigidaire was a really good kitchen product back before GM sold Frigidaire off in '79. my wife & I had a late 70's Frigidaire freezer till we moved 4 years ago, had service on it once. Up into the '80's, my folks always bought Frigidaire kitchen appliances, Dad even bought my Mom, a Flair range in '66... "Happy Wife, Happy Life." Decent shape old Frigidaire Flair ranges are sought out today, to be restored for mid century modern revival type kitchens.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/19/f3...2f9b2a14f8.jpg

Our family's kitchen had a dbl door cabinet above the Flair range. Up in that cabinet, Dad stashed a few of the most desirable boxed mid 60's GM promo model carss that he had picked up from dealership owners/ friends. My brother & I knew the cars were up there... but knew not to try & get them down. Cool times, a new Pontiac in the driveway, Mom was well taken care of, my brother & I both had Schwinn Stingrays, walked or rode my bike a block to school...

Old 01-31-2020, 02:44 PM
Senior Chief

"milf and juice containers"

uh, what store/aisle/bay is that? I'm in a shopping mood.

64 F-85
72 4-4-2 Mondello's VO Twister II
84 Hurst/Olds #2449
87 Cutlass Salon
54 Olds 88 sedan
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Mr Anonymous For This Useful Post:
Old 01-31-2020, 04:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'ol Pinion head View Post
Frigidaire was a really good kitchen product back before GM sold Frigidaire off in '79. my wife & I had a late 70's Frigidaire freezer till we moved 4 years ago, had service on it once. Up into the '80's, my folks always bought Frigidaire kitchen appliances, Dad even bought my Mom, a Flair range in '66... "Happy Wife, Happy Life." Decent shape old Frigidaire Flair ranges are sought out today, to be restored for mid century modern revival type kitchens.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/19/f3...2f9b2a14f8.jpg

Our family's kitchen had a dbl door cabinet above the Flair range. Up in that cabinet, Dad stashed a few of the most desirable boxed mid 60's GM promo model carss that he had picked up from dealership owners/ friends. My brother & I knew the cars were up there... but knew not to try & get them down. Cool times, a new Pontiac in the driveway, Mom was well taken care of, my brother & I both had Schwinn Stingrays, walked or rode my bike a block to school...
Have an old GM made Frigidaire refrigerater/freezer out in the shop. Must be 45 years old. Whisper quiet, ice cold, no issues. Have a 2013 vintage stainless steel 'Kenmore' in the house. Ice maker failed, so I fixed that. Motor is as noisy as a gas lawnmower....it'll get your attention. Rubber mounting it and installing 2 mounting bolts that were MIA helped, but it's LOUD. Now, for the past 2 years, it leaks water, and I have to drain the crisper tray area manually every week. Piece of crap. First appliances I ever bought were reconditioned 1970's Kenmore units that I left with my first house. Bulletproof. Every set of appliances I have bought with every move (about every 9 years or so) has been inferior to the previous set, no exceptions. The Kenmore fridge, washer, and dryer I bought in 2003 worked just fine. The same replacements I bought in 2013 are absolutely inferior to the '03 ones in every way.

Old 01-31-2020, 09:49 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Probably have less problems with a Whirlpool built fridge than most others. We have a WP side by side purchased new in 04. It needed the ice maker assembly replaced about 3 years ago. Other than that, trouble free.

Old 01-31-2020, 09:51 PM
Senior Chief

5 years ago I purchased a ($3400) GE signature series fridge. French doors with water and ice dispenser. It was very noisy and ran constantly. Vegetables would freeze no matter how much you raised the temperature. Door Seals failed in 3 years 275, fans failed a few months later $380. Complete failure in less than 5 years. I’ll never buy another GE appliance again.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Frank R For This Useful Post:
Old 02-01-2020, 01:14 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I have heard that GE stuff has gone to crap. I bought a bunch of GE (I thought “they must be good”) from Sears a couple of years ago. They only lasted 2 years.

Old 02-01-2020, 03:34 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris65LeMans View Post
I have heard that GE stuff has gone to crap. I bought a bunch of GE (I thought “they must be good”) from Sears a couple of years ago. They only lasted 2 years.
Christmas lights, those were.

Old 02-01-2020, 09:52 AM
Ultimate Warrior

GE developed the most Reliable Fridge Compressor. Maybe we need to do old Compressor Swaps into the new Chassis(s plural)