The Body Shop TECH General questions that don't fit in any other forum

Old 02-23-2005, 08:41 PM
"Teacher

Send a message via MSN to

I am wondering if a cowl assy from a 1970 lamens or Tempest 4dr sedan will work on my 1969 2dr hardtop. There are a couple of parts cars available, but they are both four door sedans. I think the cowls are similar, but will the pillars on the sedan be a fit to my hardtop upper pillars? I want to include about 6" of the pillar from the donor car. The car is not right here so I can't compare them side by side. Also, will the rear window channel be able to be adapted from the four door? Thanks in advance for your expert advice!

Oh, and another consideration would be the location of the door hinges,since the doors are constructed differently. Are they compatible?

Old 02-23-2005, 08:41 PM
"Teacher

I am wondering if a cowl assy from a 1970 lamens or Tempest 4dr sedan will work on my 1969 2dr hardtop. There are a couple of parts cars available, but they are both four door sedans. I think the cowls are similar, but will the pillars on the sedan be a fit to my hardtop upper pillars? I want to include about 6" of the pillar from the donor car. The car is not right here so I can't compare them side by side. Also, will the rear window channel be able to be adapted from the four door? Thanks in advance for your expert advice!

Oh, and another consideration would be the location of the door hinges,since the doors are constructed differently. Are they compatible?

Old 02-24-2005, 05:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The windshields are different, and on a '67, at least, the glass sits more upright than in a 2-door. I think you may be barking up the wrong tree with a 4-door.

Old 02-24-2005, 05:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Upper metal panel will be the same '69-72, as cut them out of my LeMans partscars from time to time & have them in stock.

The A pillars are different between 2 doors & 4 doors, so no help there. Wanting to completely replace the upper dash panel out to the ftont cowl edge, one will have ton of fun as there are a bunch of spotwelds to drill out, & there are considerations to deal with as VIN will have to be removed

Rear catwalk (behind the rear window panel) is different between 2 door & 4 door '68-72 Pontiac A-body. Have never rebuilt rear window channel w/ pieces out of a 4 door, usually remove the whole panel from infront of pkg tray area to rear of catwalk.

Old 02-24-2005, 08:47 PM
"Teacher

That is why I was thinking of replacing the entire cowl section, firewall and all.There is a complete section available in Calif. but it would take over$600 to get it, before we even touch anything else.Too rich for our blood.
Also you brought up another issue, that of the package tray area. That also has rust holes in it. Can I replace that piece as well? Are there any around? Will the four door seat divider/package tray sheet metal fit? If not,does someone sell that piece? I am also thinking of mating in a new trunk seal channel from another car, cutting it out and "making it fit". I know this sounds like alot of work but my superiors who are funding this don't want to buy another body, but want to part this car out and abort the project. As much as I try to tell them that a grand or so in a body shell is no different than a grand or so in an engine rebuild, the bureaucracy see it as "buying another junk car". My students, and their teacher(that's me), want to build the car whatever it takes.So we are trying to come up with a way to do it.Any suggestions would be helpful.

Old 02-28-2005, 01:57 PM
"Teacher

I tried to post a pic of the car and its rusty cowl, but it did not work, sorry.[img]Dsc03518.jpeg[/img]

Old 02-28-2005, 08:06 PM
"Teacher

Okay, another thought has come to mind which may simplify the search for parts. Can any 1969 "A" body GM cowl work, such as a Chevelle or Skylark? There are plenty of parts available if this is the case. Any thoughts?