The Body Shop TECH General questions that don't fit in any other forum

Old 03-04-2005, 05:51 AM
"Teacher

Send a message via MSN to

I notice that everywhere there is a seam, whether the floors, trunk, cowl, etc. there is this flattened out , 3/4 inch wide goop seal that feels hard-ish, not soft like silicone. Since I am replacing all of the above, I will need to know what this stuff is and where I can get it.Also, is it applied between the layers or is it put on over the top of the seal only? Any help would be appreciated.Thanks.

Old 03-04-2005, 05:51 AM
"Teacher

I notice that everywhere there is a seam, whether the floors, trunk, cowl, etc. there is this flattened out , 3/4 inch wide goop seal that feels hard-ish, not soft like silicone. Since I am replacing all of the above, I will need to know what this stuff is and where I can get it.Also, is it applied between the layers or is it put on over the top of the seal only? Any help would be appreciated.Thanks.

Old 03-04-2005, 06:13 AM
Ultimate Warrior

there are nmany types of seam sealant. There are 1 part materials ( easy to use ) and twp part materials that are expensive, more difficult to use , but are a cured material and tough. Any paint supply store will carry seam sealers. 3m and Fusor are a couple companies that make several types themselves. I found a single part I am happy with but I know of only one place to get it and that is near me )

Old 03-04-2005, 06:18 AM
"Teacher

Is the sealant aplied between the layers under the spot welds or just over the top of the seal? It seams, er, seems that the heat of welding would cause bad things to happen.

Old 03-04-2005, 06:21 AM
Ultimate Warrior

afterwards. You can use some weld through primer on the metal before welding, but even that is not perfect. I prime the area after welding, either with epoxy or Master Series. I want that to flow into the weld as much as possible, then I seal after it has cured.

Old 03-04-2005, 09:04 AM
Ultimate Warrior

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Teacher, Teacher!:
Is the sealant aplied between the layers under the spot welds or just over the top of the seal? It seams, er, seems that the heat of welding would cause bad things to happen. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Typically the seams were sealed after being welded togehter. Factory used a one-part product that was applied with a brush; you can see the brush tracks in most of the seam seal draws. The best seam sealer I have used is the 3M material. You might try contacting 3M Automotive Products Division in St. Paul, MN with your project story. You never know, they might even be willing to supply your class with some free product.

Use weld-through primer before doing any lap welding. It may not be a perfect solution, but it is 100% better than doing nothing. Epoxy Primer--DP45(light greenish gray) or DP90 (black) are great base primers. Be sure to follow all safety proceedures with this product. A good respirator is manditory when using this epoxy primer.

Old 03-04-2005, 09:22 AM
Senior Chief

The best I have used is 3M Brushable Seam Sealer Part #08656. Remove all the old sealer and clean the area and just brush the 3M into the seam. It looks like factory. Like someone has already posted the factory used a brush to apply the original. I am very pleased with the appearance and hardness on my 62 Pontiac - Dwight

Old 03-04-2005, 11:28 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Hey Dwight ... was that you on TV a few weeks ago? The old missing person's story that was recently solved?

Old 03-04-2005, 06:58 PM
Senior Chief

It was me but, I looked older than I really am. Glad the the SO used a new computer database to identify here. She was murdered in 1978 and we could not ID her, and she was not reported missing for some unknown reason. DNA made a positive match on a sister in Oklahoma. Now it will give them somewhere to start looking for the shooter or shooters. - Dwight

Old 03-05-2005, 07:31 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I work @ an assembly plant paint dept. & yes those are manual brush marks of seam sealer that you see.(ie inside cab floors). today robotics apply this. soon after, the person"s that place the sound deadners in place spread the sealer with what looks like one of those thick parts cleaning brushes. one thing to remember, at least in present times, these sealers are then "oven cured". so now the label will read "industrial use only" which makes this exact type of sealer sometimes hard to purchase over the counter.I am sure that 3m & others sell a comparable air dry though.