The Body Shop TECH General questions that don't fit in any other forum

Old 07-29-2006, 01:23 PM

Default Body/frame dipping-Michigan area?

I was working on my 65 today and although it is Southern it has some areas that need attention. I can blast the frame but the boxed sections will be left undone, so I am thinking dipping. Same with the body, very good condition but some corrosion in the rear wheelwell area, and I have some welding to do to fix some botched mods. Would you fix first or after? I've never had a car dipped so am not familiar with the process.

I would be interested to hear of your experiances, and to know of where it can be done in Mich. area. I live in Northern Mi. so I will have to travel anyway but the closer the better, and a good reputation is even more important.

Your input appreciated, Larry

Old 07-30-2006, 08:00 AM

Bump

Old 07-30-2006, 11:25 AM
On Vacation

check out these links...they may help

http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...t=acid+dipping

I could go on and on...just do a search on acid dipping and just read some of the other threads...best of luck to ya!

Old 07-30-2006, 12:55 PM

Larry
Do a google search on Electrolysis Derusting. Its like an acid dip without the acid. Its water based electrolite mixed with washing soda and used with electricity. I spoke to a guy at the Car Craft Nationals last weekend in St Paul, MN and he is the only one in seven states around here that does it. It's amazing. Check out his website www.precisionresto.com
Bruce

Old 07-31-2006, 12:40 PM

I did a search and read and read, and I don't really like the sound of just an acid bath. What I posted for is I keep hearing storys of a place in the Detroit area that acid baths, neutralizes, and e-coats. I hear the storys but have not ran into anyone who can give me a name or #. May be just B.S., sometimes people tell storys just to sound important. I've heard of this from several disconnected people though. I googled, but what an overload! My eyes can only read so long, getting old........

Bruce, I read up on their process, seems from their site it is a very slow process. That translates to expensive, and I am just a carpenter, plus I am in more of a hurry than that. Thanks though, it was an interesting site.

Larry

Old 08-01-2006, 07:18 AM

I still want to have my frame dipped, anyone have any experiance with dippers in my area?

Larry

Old 08-01-2006, 12:20 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Larry,

I will post the address when I get home as I do not have it here at work. They are near Metro Airport. I have not personally seen it but it looks really cool. Check back later tonight.

Old 08-01-2006, 12:50 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69 RA GTO
Larry,

I will post the address when I get home as I do not have it here at work. They are near Metro Airport. I have not personally seen it but it looks really cool. Check back later tonight.
Tim,
is this it?

International Paint Stripping
Rumulus
(734) 942-0500

I've used these guys before. They are all set up for dipping an entire car.

Old 08-01-2006, 10:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

International Paint Stripping does the alkyline process- not acid.
There used to be a company called E-Coat King, in Brownstown, that would take parts to International Paint Stripping, then have them e-coat primed. I don't know if they still exist- the guy that ran it, pretty much got burned out. What started as just a means to get his and some buddy's cars done, ended up turning into a full-time business.
Not that he didn't make some nice money at it...

Old 08-02-2006, 11:05 AM

Thanks, I'll call them. I keep trying to find the one in Flint I keep hearing about with Google. Haven't found it but I do know where all the strip clubs are now.....

Larry

Old 08-03-2006, 08:33 PM

I got ahold of International Paint Stripping,. $300 to dip frame and wash, $900 if they e-coat it. Full body, dip, wash and e-coat, $2600 bucks. My body is real good [GTO's]and I can't really afford that but I think I will have them dip the frame, still debating the e-coat.

Larry

Old 08-22-2006, 04:50 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Hi Larry,

Sorry for not posting the website sooner as I forgot about this thread. The place I was refering to is the following website.

http://www.redi-coat.com/index.html

Old 08-22-2006, 07:46 PM

Ah, Redi-Coat, I was searching under Redi-Strip. The place above that I checked out can only handle 13 ft. I'll check them out, I think that is probably the one I have been hearing about, they just were a little off on the name.
I did buy a 5 ft. cabinet blaster, still can't do a frame. Really didn't want the mess at my shop but I was looking into a portable blaster.

Thanks a bunch, Larry

Old 08-22-2006, 07:56 PM

They are $100 cheaper and apply epoxy primer after e coat. I'll call them tomorrow.

Thanks again, Larry