Old 01-03-2008, 12:54 PM

Default '02 GP SE 3.1 running too cold?

Hello all,
Got an '02 GP SE daily driver for an "unrefuseable" price 2 yrs ago but it seems to run too cold...as evidenced by the fact the cat burned up last yr at about 107K. In cold weather it struggles to get over 170 and even when the weather's warm it's almost never over 185 when moving though it reaches almost 210 in traffic-- eventually-- as it should. Is it possible someone previously put in a cold stat to prevent or reduce the chance of the dreaded intake/coolant leak that tends to plague these 3.1 engines? I've completely blocked off the rad with cardboard boxes behind the grille, etc., these past 2 winters and it has very little effect when moving although it helps it run a little warmer in traffic. Gauge seems to budge off 160F in a normal timeframe so I guess the stat (whatever its rating) is good? Had a new '91 GP driver way back when and it also ran kinda cool when moving...'99 Bonnie ran a little cool but warmer...GF's G6 hits 200F going around the block (puny 7 qt cooling system if I'm not mistaken, that'll do it...) just wondering what "normal" would be considered? Thanks.

Old 01-03-2008, 09:09 PM
Senior Chief

put a tech 2 on it to make sure the gauge is accurate. thermostat maybe out of calib. , check to make sure of actual temp. thermostats are a pain to change on 3100's.

Old 01-04-2008, 01:03 PM

Tell me about it! :-) That's why I thought I'd ask around before doing something as SEEMINGLY simple as changing the stat. Thanks. NOW, if I can just figure out why my '80 455 TA runs at 140 with a 180 stat and 230 with a 195(!). D'OH!